Marie Michael Library
Coady International Institute
Adult Education Links
Databases & Dictionaries
Journals (to read StFX only journals use your StFX username and password)
- Action Research, (STFX only), issues available: 1(2003) - current.
- Adult Education and Development journal contains issues related to practice and research findings about adult education.
- Adult Education Quarterly, (STFX only), issues available: 1(1950) - current.
- The Adult Learner journal, issues available: 1999-2005, 2007+.
- Adult Learning, (STFX only), issues available: 10(1998) - current.
- Canadian Journal of Higher Education, issues available: 38(2008) - current.
- Canadian Journal for the Study of Adult Education, issues available: 13(1999) - current. (STFX only).
- Canadian Journal of University Continuing Education, issues available: v.21 (1995)-current.
- International Journal of Lifelong Education, issues available: 16(1997) - current. (STFX only).
- International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, an e-journal to advance research, theory and best practice in open and distance learning. Issues available: 1(2000)-current.
- Journal of Adult and Continuing Education, issues available: 8(2002) - current.
- The Journal of Distance Education, issues available: 1(1986) - current.
- Journal of Extension (JOE), is published by the U.S. Cooperative Extension System. It is a research and knowledge base for Extension professionals and other adult educators. Issues available: Full archive, 1963-current.
- Journal of Transformative Education, issues available: 1(2003) - current. (STFX only).
- New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, issues available: no.1(1979)-current. (STFX only).
- New Horizons in Adult Education and Human Resource Development, journal issues available: 1(1987)-current.
- Postcolonial Directions in Education, issues available: 1(2012)-current.
- RELA: European Journal for Research on the Education and Learning of Adults, issues available: 1(2010)-current.
- The SPARC Open Access Newsletter, this newsletter contains news and analysis of the open-access movement and explores how the internet is transforming scholarly research and publication.
- Studies in Continuing Education, issues available: 19(1997) - current. (STFX only).
- Studies in the Education of Adults, issues available: 31(1999) - current. (STFX only).
Manuals and Training Tools
- Action Research and Co-operative Inquiry resources by Peter Reason.
- Active reviewing guide: How to facilitate reflection and the transfer of learning, by Roger Greenaway.
- Adult learning in Canada: A comparative perspective: Results10:56 AM 1/13/2012 from the Adult Literacy and Life Skills Survey.
- Appreciative Inquiry Commons - Readily available tools, articles and manuals.
- Critical Thinking: Stephen Brookfield’s writings and workshop resources on teaching critical thinking, as well as critical theory.
- Fiedrich, M. & Jellema, A. (2003). Literacy, Gender and Social Agency: Adventures in Empowerment: A research report for ActionAid UK.
- Handbook for Literacy and Non-Formal Education Facilitators in Africa, UNESCO, (2006).
- Portrait of literacy within the Québec Native Friendship Centres Movement.
- Reflect Mother Manual, ActionAid
This is an online version of ActionAid's successful Reflect methodology using Freirean and PRA methods for literacy programmes.
The library has one printed edition. Call Number: 374.012 Ar23r
- Securing the Right to Learn, advocacy manual produced by NIACE.
- Self-Directed Learning Information, by Roger Hiemstra.
- Training Trainers for Development: Conducting a workshop on participatory training techniques. CEDPA. (1995). The library has one printed edition. Call Number: 301.155 C326t
- UNESCO Bangkok. (2008). Community learning centres: Country report from Asia.
Popular Education & Social Activism Resources
- Aukland Workers' Education Association (AWEA), a community education organization committed to supporting the Waitangi Treaty of Aotearoa / New Zealand. Includes resources on indigenous and non-indigenous collaboration, and social justice tools.
- Catalyst Centre, popular education directory.
- Change Agency, is an activist education initiative. The organization works with community organizers and activists in the Australia Pacific region.
- Colectivo Flatlander, building a movement for social, political and racial justice by working with communities who are engaged in these struggles.
- Everyday Democracy, resources for helping local communities find ways for people to think, talk and work together to solve problems.
- Highlander Research and Education Center offers training for development of social-change activism and community organization as well as enabling activists to become better community educators and organizers.
- Learning and teaching for transformation, a global dialogue exploring relationships between education, participation and social change.
- Michael Newman: Educator writes about adult education and social and political action. This website provides free access to three of his most recent books.
- Pedagogy & Theatre of the Oppressed (PTO) is inspired by the work of Paulo Freire and Augusto Boal. It challenges oppressive systems by promoting critical thinking and social justice.
- Popular Education News connects community-based educators and activists to resources for improving work in social movements.
- The Wall Workshop, developed by Bev Burke and Suzanne Doerge, is "an educational tool designed to do a gender analysis of the global economy starting with women's experiences."
Research and Writing Support
- Refworks tutorials:
- Research Processes and Methods, Coady Institute, includes links to a variety of sites providing information on research methods and writing skills.
Adult Education Research Centres and Associations
Updated: April, 2013