Marie Michael Library
Coady International Institute
Development Theory and Practice Links
Online Databases and "Virtual Libraries" of Current Development Research
Organisations & Research Institutes
- A good place to start: The IDS Knowledge Services guide to finding development information online, IDS (2008).
- Agridea: Rural Development News, a rural development magazine. The site features articles from 2000 - present, available for download.
- Changemakers Library, a community of action collaborating on solutions.
- The Development Gateway, World Bank.
- ELDIS.org, sharing the best in development policy, practice and research.
- Ford Foundation Library
- Human Development Resource Network (HDRNet) is an information gateway for human development and international co-operation.
- ICTs for Development, the Communication Initiative Network.
- Impact Alliance Resource Centre contains capacity building related resources.
- International Co-operative Alliance (ICA) serves co-operatives worldwide by promoting the co-operative identity and ensuring its ability to compete in the marketplace.
- Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) strives for global change by working with scholars, practitioners and governments on the desired reforms to governance issues. In 2004, CIGI established IGLOO (International Governance Leaders and Organizations Online) as an online network to connect tools, resources and people focused on global issues.
- The Microfinance Gateway
- New Zealand Digital Library, development collections including agriculture, health, environment and social issues.
- oneworld.net contains the latest news from organizations promoting human rights awareness and fighting poverty worldwide.
- World Bank e-Library, access ebooks, journal articles and working papers on international development.
- BRIDGE supports gender advocacy and mainstreaming efforts by bridging the gaps between theory, policy and practice.
- CEDPA: Centre for Development and Population Activities works with women by giving them the tools they need to improve their lives, families and communities.
- Centre for Sustainable Community Development, Simon Fraser University.
- Institute for Development Policy and Management promotes development by enhancing the capabilities of individuals and organisations through education, training, consultancy, research and policy analysis.
- INTRAC (International NGO Training and Research Centre) designs training, consultancy and research services to organizations involved in international development.
- Oxford Poverty & Human Development Initiative (OPHI) is building an economic framework for reducing poverty grounded in people's experiences and values.
- PANOS London promotes the participation of poor and marginalized people through media and communication projects.
- United Nations System of Organizations official website locator for UN agencies.
- Young Lives: An International Study of Childhood Poverty tracks childhood poverty through the lives of children in Ethiopia, India, Peru and Vietnam over a 15-year period. Publications include working papers, technical notes, policy briefs and country reports.
Tools, Methods and Issues
Internet and Communications Technologies (ICTs)
- Arts for Global Development, resources on the use of visual and performance arts in development.
- BC Healthy Communities, toolkits and articles.
- Community Problem-Solving Project provides tools useful for problem-solving in the community or field. It is part of an ongoing project launched at Harvard University and now based at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- The Faces of Exclusion is a micro-documentary series that uses audiovisual technologies and film documentary resources to illustrate situations of social exclusion.
- Follow the money: A resource book for trainers on public expenditure tracking in Tanzania. Created by Hakikazi Catalyst, Research on Poverty Alleviation (REPOA) & Tanzania Gender Networking Programme (TGNP), (2008). With this toolkit local communities can track the inputs, outputs, and outcomes of particular government services, and determine the gender-specific distribution of benefits from those services.
- Measuring Human Development: A Primer is a tool for those working on sub-national, national and regional Human Development Reports. Its guidelines and tools support the production of reports that support policy making and advocacy.
- IFAD. (2009). Good practices in participatory mapping: A review prepared for the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
- Monitoring and Evaluation News focuses on developments in monitoring and evaluation methods related to development projects and programs pertaining to social development.
- The Story of Stuff, a video developed by Annie Leonard. This 20-minute film examines the real cost of our consumer driven culture.
- University of Kansas. (2011). Community tool box. A resource that promotes community health and development by providing essential skills for building healthy communities.
- Volunteer Service Overseas (VSO). (2009). VSO Facilitator Guide to Participatory Approaches. The guide is divided into three sections: Methods, principles, and tools.
Funding Sources and Fundraising Strategies
- Background paper on ICT-for-Development in Africa for the United Nations ICT Task Force, J. Okpaku, (2002).
- Better connected: empowering people through communications technology, Panos Media Toolkit on Communicating Research - No. 5, (2008).
- CIDA. (n.d.). CIDA's Strategy on Knowledge for Development through Information and Communication Technologies (ICT).
- Digital Opportunity Channel provides education on the use of ICT as a tool for promoting digital opportunity for all.
- Free and Open Source Software Portal is a gateway to resources related to free software and the Open Source Technology movement.
- Chapman, R. & Slaymaker, T. (2002). ICTs and rural development: Review of the literature, current interventions and opportunities for action. (ODI Working Paper 192).
- ICTS for development, Eldis' resource guide.
- ICTs for Development in Africa, Soul Beat, no. 69.
- Information and Communication Technologies for Development in Africa: Volume 2: The experience with community telecentres, edited by F. Etta and S. Parvyn-Wamahiu, (2003). Book is available for download.
- ItrainOnline provides computer and Internet training resources for development and social change.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals, news releases, directories, and a resource center.
- Charity Village, Canadian site for the nonprofit sector. It contains news, jobs, information and resources.
- Directory of Development Organizations lists organizations working in international development by country.
- Foundation Center, works to strengthen the nonprofit sector by advancing knowledge about U.S. philanthropy.
- Foundations & Grantmakers Directory, alphabetical listing of foundations and grantmakers based in the United States.
- Global Fund for Women. (2007). Fundraising for change: A practical guide for women's rights organizations. This handbook describes the preparation and strategies for fundraising available to women's organizations.
- Fundraising for NGOs, manuals and toolkits from Eldis.
- Fundsnet Services: International Grants and Funders
- Grants for libraries, from the United Nations Library Network.
- Guide for writing a funding proposal, features a selection of recommended books to help with the preparation of a funding proposal.
- How to write Logical Framework Analysis (LFA) in grant proposals: A simple guide for NGOs provides simple explanations to assist NGOs and other development professionals to understand and develop this framework.
- Imagine Canada, Canadian Directory to Foundations and Corporations.
- International Grant Resource Guide, directory of organizations concerned with providing grants.
- Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund provides scholarships to women from developing countries who are enrolled in academic programs in North America.
- The Resource Alliance builds the capacity of not-for-profit organisations to mobilise funds and local resources for their causes.
- Scherer, L., with Raaber, N. (2009). WITM's compilation of Resource Mobilization tools. AWID's Where is the money for women's rights initiative has reviewed existing online resources and produced this document. (91K pdf)
- Urgent Action Fund, for women's human rights. The organization provides grants that enable strategic interventions and participate in advocacy and research.
- The Virtual Foundation provides space for community development organizations seeking funding to post project proposals on the website for potential donors to read.
Other Handy Websites
- Babel Fish Translation - translate blocks of text and webpages into various languages.
- DevelopmentArt, a website for copyright-free drawings, created by professional artists in Asia and Africa.
- Images of the social and economic world - world maps with social and economic aspects applied.
- Loband, access websites in text-only format.
- Maplecroft Maps analyzes global risks and issues to provide a collection of interactive maps, reports and other resources.
- Maps and Geographic Information Resources, United Nations site containing a wide range of regional, country, thematic, and political maps.
- New York Public Library (NYPL) Digital Gallery, free access to thousands of digital images.
- World Time Zones and calender information
- Xpeditions Atlas, National Geographic. Customize maps for printing and copying.
Updated: February, 2013