Marie Michael Library
Promoting Accountable Democracies
Civic Values and Democracy
- Dunn, A., & Gaventa, J. (2007). Building inclusive citizenship and democracies (id21 Focus). Brighton: IDS.
Exploring Democracy and Governance
- Alliance of Democracies. (2020). Democracy perception index 2020.
- Economist Intelligence Unit. (2020). Democracy index 2019.
- Freedom House. (2020). Freedom in the world 2020. Washington, DC: Freedom House.
- Freedom House. (2019). Freedom on the net 2019. Washington, DC: Freedom House.
- Gaventa, J. & Benequista, N. (2009). Reversing the flow: A new democratic conversation? Alliance, 14(2), 56-58. (103K pdf)
- IDEA. (2017). The global state of democracy indices.
- International IDEA. (2014). How democratic is your country? [Video file]. (10:45 min.)
- Reporters Without Borders. (2020). 2020 world press freedom index.
- Rocha Menocal, A. (2017, November 15). Tackling inequality: Democracy’s Catch-22 [Blog post].
- Van Reybrouck, D. (2016, June 29). Why elections are bad for democracy.
- De Waal, A. (2017, April 25). Designer activism and post-democracy.
Power, Active Citizenship and the Social Contract
- Civicus. (2019). State of civil society report: The year in review. New York, NY: Civicus. (2.39 Mb pdf)
- Civicus Monitor, tracks civic space worldwide.
- Ferber, I., et al. (2018). Space to be heard: Mobilizing the power of people to reshape civic space [Oxfam briefing note). Oxford: Oxfam GB.
- Koester, D. (2015). Gender & power (Concept brief no. 04). Birmingham, UK: University of Birmingham.
- Luttrell, C., et al. (2007). The power cube explained (Empowerment note no. 3). (252K pdf)
- Miller, V., et al. (2006). Making change happen: Power: concepts for revisioning power for justice, equality and peace. [n.l.]: Just Associates.
- Open Society Foundations. (2015, December 21). Shrinking civic spaces [Video file]. (5:35 min.)
- Transnational Institute. (2016, December 6). Rethinking shrinking space [Video file]. (7:32 min.)
- UNDP. (2016). Engaged societies, responsive states: The social contract in situations of conflict and fragility (Concept note). New York, NY: UNDP.
Transforming Social Contracts: Participatory Governance And Accountability
- Benequista, N. & Gaventa, J. (2011). Blurring the boundaries: Citizen action across states and societies. Brighton: IDS.
- Fox, Michael. (2009, February, 1). Beyond elections documentary part II (Participatory budgeting I) [Video file]. (8:38 min.)
- Fox, Michael. (2009, February 2). Beyond elections documentary part 16 (Democratizing democracy II) [Video file]. (9:59 min.)
- The Hunger Project. (2014). 2014 State of participatory democracy report. New York: The Hunger Project. (6.86 Mb pdf)
- International Observatory on Participatory Democracy members.
- McLoughlin, C. (2014). State legitimacy. (DLP Concept brief no. 02). Birmingham, UK: University of Birmingham.
- Open Society Foundations. (2015, September 30). UN Sustainable Development Goals: The power of participatory democracy [Video file]. (4:43 min.)
Towards Accountable Democracies: Analyzing Power and Exploring Pathways
- Civicus. (n.d.). Participatory governance toolkit. Resources relating to nine categories of participatory governance practices.
- Participedia, strengthening democracy through shared knowledge.
- Smith, G. (2005). Power: Beyond the ballot: democratic innovations from around the world. London: The POWER Inquiry. (739K pdf)
Showcasing Democratic Innovations And Making Accountability Inclusive
- Lopez-Franco, E., Howard, J., & Wheeler, J. (2017). Participatory accountability for the SDGs: Beyond social accountability (Policy briefing no. 4). Brighton: IDS.
- Mann, L., & Meagher, K. (2016, November 3). The needs of informal workers matter in digital innovation [Blog post].
- Shahrokh, T., & Lopez-Franco, E. (2015). Achieving meaningful accountability for people living in poverty and marginalisation (Policy briefing no. 2). Brighton: IDS.
Community Scorecard Methodology
- Campbell, S., & McCormack, S. (2008). A guide for training public dialogue facilitators: Everyday democracy (3rd ed.). East Hartford, CT: The Paul J. Archer Foundation.
Practicing A Community Scorecard: Practicum At Ecole Acadienne De Pomquet
- Participatory Budgeting Project resources.
- PBP. (2016). Real money, real power: Participatory budgeting [Video file]. (4:13 min.)
Field Trip: Perspectives On Participatory Budgeting
- Austin, S. (2018, October 30). Participatory budget district 5 2018 [Blog post].
- Flynn, A. (2016). Participatory budgeting – Not a one-size-fits-all approach. Free and open access from Osgoode Digital Commons. (605K pdf)
- Halifax Regional Municipality
- MacPhee Centre for Creative Learning empowers youth between the ages of 12-19 by connecting passion with purpose through the arts.
- North Woodside Community Centre aids in focusing the energy and skills of citizens in building a stronger community in which to live, work and play.
- Nova Scotia Legislature is the legislative branch of the Government of Nova Scotia.
Moving Beyond Tools: Conflict Transformations And Advocacy Approaches
- 198 methods of nonviolent action. Original source: Sharp, G. (1973). The politics of nonviolence action (3 vols.). Boston: Porter Sargent.
Practicing Persuasion And Deepening Discussions
- Global Partnership for Social Accountability, established by the World Bank in 2012, enhances citizens’ voice and supports the capacity of governments to respond effectively to their voice.
- Accountability guide, published by Humentum, focuses on strengthening the financial management and accountability of NGOs around the world.
- Blair, H. (2011). Gaining state support for social accountability. In S. Odugbemi & T. Lee (Eds.), Accountability through public opinion: From inertia to public action (pp. 37-52). Washington, DC: World Bank.
- BRIDGE. (2004). Gender and citizenship cutting edge pack. Brighton, UK: Institute of Development Studies.
- Civicus. (2013). The Enabling Environment Index 2013: A Civicus initiative. Washington, DC: Civicus. Report available for download.
- van Deth, J. W. (2014). A conceptual map of political participation. Acta Politica, 49(3), 349-367. (StFX only)
- Development Research Centre on Citizenship, Participation and Accountability (Citizenship DRC) was a research consortium that investigated how citizens hold institutions to account and claim their rights.
- Edwards, J. (2014, July 24). Women in politics: Beyond numbers [Blog post].
- Everyday Democracy, ideas and tools for community change.
- Fletcher, T. (2013). Rethinking social accountability in Africa: Lessons from the Mwananchi Programme. London: ODI.
- Fung, A. (2006). Varieties of participation in complex governance. Public Administration Review, 66(S1), 66-75. (StFX only)
- Fung, A. (2015). Putting the public back into governance: The challenges of citizen participation and its future. Public Administration Review, 75(4), 513-522. (191K pdf) (StFX only)
- Gaventa, J. (2006). Triumph, deficit or contestation? Deepening the ‘deepening democracy’ debate (Working paper no. 264). Brighton, UK: Institute of Development Studies. (266K pdf)
- Gaventa, J. & Benequista, N. (2009, August 5). Democracy-support: From recession to innovation.
- Guénéheux, D., & Bottomley, A. (2014). Accountability for civil society by civil society: A guide to self-regulation initiatives. London: Civicus.
- Hydén, G. & Samuel, J. (Eds.). (2011). Making the state responsive: Experience with democratic governance assessments. New York: UNDP. (5.49 Mb pdf)
- Mintzberg, H. (2014). Rebalancing society: Radical renewal beyond left, right, and center. (676K pdf)
- Olsen DeVries, K. (2017). Unpacking the concept of civic space. Drum Beat 738.
- Participatory Budgeting Project supports processes that deepen democracy, build stronger communities, and make public budgets more equitable and effective.
- Participatory Local Democracy, the Hunger Project partnered with the UN Democracy Fund (UNDEF) to cultivate a community of practice that is working to build capacity for local governance focusing on impoverished rural areas.
- Samuel, J. (2007). Public advocacy and people-centred advocacy: Mobilising for social change. Development in Practice, 17(4/5), 615-621. (StFX only)
- Seraj, S. (2016, April 10). Farmers’ voices in budget (Season 11 EPS 2) [Video file]. (25:22 min.)
- Skidmore, P. & Bound, K. (2008). The everyday democracy index. London: Demos. (1.10 Mb pdf)
- Speer, J. (2012). Participatory governance reform: A good strategy for increasing government responsiveness and improving public services? World Development, 40(12), 2379-2398. (StFX only)
- Tembo, F. (2013). Rethinking social accountability in Africa: Lessons from the Mwananchi Programme. London: ODI.
- Three minute citizen, Springtide has created ten videos explaining democracy in Canada.
- Transparency International. (2020). Corruption perceptions index 2019.