Marie Michael Library
Future of Work
Future of Work online course, September 23 – December 9, 2020
Week 1: Introductory Resources
- Global Commission on the Future of Work. (2019). Work for a brighter future [Executive summary]. ILO. (316K pdf)
- ILO. (2020, July 1-9). Concept note. Global Summit on COVID-19 and the World of Work – Building a better future of work. (198K pdf)
- Saliola, F. (2020, July 7). Why the Future of Work policy agenda remains relevant: It’s not just about addressing digital disruption. World Bank Blogs.
- Schwartz, J., Jones, R., Hatfield, S., & Anderson, S. (2019, April 1). What is the future of work? Redefining work, workforces, and workplaces. Deloitte Insights.
- Winton, B. (2019). Disruptive innovation: Why now? ARK Investment Management. (3.31 Mb pdf)
- Zahidi, S. (2020, May 1). The future of work is here: 5 ways to reset labour markets after coronavirus recovery. World Economic Forum.
Week 2: The History of Work
- Auerback, M. 2016, February 24). The economics of care: Nancy Folbre [Video]. Institute for New Economic Thinking. (15:20 min.)
- AWID Staff. (2013, February 4). Rethinking ideas of work from a feminist perspective. AWID.
- BBC. (2003). The history of work: Part one [Audio podcast]. (24:49 min.)
- BBC. (2003). The history of work: Part three [Audio podcast]. (24:56 min.)
- Business Casual. (2019, December 15). America’s forgotten titan: George Westinghouse [Video]. Youtube. (23:51 min.)
- Morgan, J. (2015, December 16). How do you define work? Forbes.
- Business Casual. (2019, January 18). How Ford built America: The man behind the automobile [Video]. Youtube. (14:10 min.)
- English, B. (Host). (2019). Making the woman worker [Audio podcast episode]. In Working History. Southern Labor Studies Association.
- Innovative History. (2016, June 19). Henry Ford: 3 minute innovative history [Video]. Youtube. (2:59 min.)
- ITUC. (2019). Investing in the care economy: Background note for CSW63. (198K pdf)
- Ribeiro, C. (2020, May 23). ‘Pink-collar recession’: How the Covid-19 crisis could set back a generation of women. The Guardian.
- Simple History. (2017, October 1). The Industrial Revolution (18-19th century). [Video]. Youtube. (3:58 min.)
- Smith, B. (2014, January 23). Let’s learn from the past: George Westinghouse. Pittsburgh-Post Gazette.
Week 3: The History of Workers
- Bajwa, U., Gastaldo, D., Di Ruggiero, E., & Knorr, L. (2018). The health of workers in the global gig economy. Globalization and Health, 14, 124. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12992-018-0444-8
- Conniff, R. (2011, March). What the Luddites really fought against. Smithsonian Magazine.
- Eschner, K. (2016, December 1). One hundred and three years ago today, Henry Ford introduced the assembly line: His workers hated it. Smithsonian Magazine.
- Essential Pittsburgh. (2016, June 3). Everybody (was) workin’ for the Westinghouse weekend [Audio podcast]. Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation. (11:14 min.)
- Intelecom. (2018, March 14). Women and the Industrial Revolution [Video]. Youtube. (5:02 min.)
- Reel Truth History Documentaries. (2018, November 26). Private life of the Industrial Revolution: Social change: history documentary: Reel Truth History [Video]. Youtube. (45:50 min.)
- Reel Truth History Documentaries. (2018, November 26). Private life of the Industrial Revolution: Steam engine: history documentary: Reel Truth History [Video]. Youtube. (45:35 min.)
- WIEGO. (2020). The history of organizing informal workers.
- Cook, K., Pinder, D., Stewart, S., Uchegbu, A., & Wright, J. (2019, October 4). The future of work in black America. McKinsey & Company.
- Cwiek, S. (2014, January 27). The middle class took off 100 years ago… Thanks To Henry Ford? [Audio podcast episode]. In All Things Considered. NPR.
- History. (2016, November 27). Sound smart: Child labor in the Industrial Revolution: history [Video]. Youtube. (2:12 min.)
- Kestenbaum, D., & Goldstein, J. (2015, May 6). Episode 621: When Luddites attack [Audio podcast episode]. In Planet Money. NPR.
Week 4: Current Context: Opportunities and Challenges
- The Economist. (2020, June 25). Covid-19: Is working from home really the new normal?: The Economist [Video]. Youtube. (8:46 min.)
- Galperin, H., & Alarcon, A. (2018). The future of work in the global south. IDRC. (18.76 Mb pdf)
- International Labour Organization. (2018, May 15). The employment impact of the transition to a green economy [Video]. Youtube. (2:01 min.)
- Kuptsch, C., Amara, U., Schmidt, D., Addati, L., Comyn, P., & Walsh, K. 2016). The future of labour supply: Demographics, migration, unpaid work (The future of work centenary initiative note no. 2). International Labour Office.
- Ratcheva, V. S., & Leopold, T. (2018, September 17). 5 things to know about the future of jobs. World Economic Forum.
- VICE News. (2019, November 20). The future of work: A VICE News special report [Video]. Youtube. (54:47 min.)
- Aaronson, S. R., Daly, M. C., Wascher, W. L., & Wilcox, D. W. (2019). Okun revisited: Who benefits most from a strong economy? (Papers on economic activity). Brookings.
- Buckley, P., & Majumdar, R. (2018). The services powerhouse: Increasingly vital to world economic growth. Deloitte Insights.
- Choi, J., Dutz, M., & Usman, Z. (Eds.). (2020). The future of work in Africa: Harnessing the potential of digital technologies for all [eBook]. World Bank.
- Choudary, S. P. (2018). The architecture of digital labour platforms: Policy recommendations on platform design for worker well-being (Future of work research paper series, no 3). International Labour Organization. (895K pdf)
- Develop Nova Scotia. (2020). Business plan 2020-21. (6.78 Mb pdf)
- Dorn, D. (2015). The rise of the machines: How computers have changed work (Public paper no. 4). UBS Center. (2.78 Mb pdf)
- Dua, A., Ellingrud, K., Mahajan, D., & Silberg, J. (2020, June 18). Which small businesses are most vulnerable to COVID-19 – and when. McKinsey & Company.
- Ernst & Young. (2018, March 26). The future of work is changing. Will your workforce be ready? Zuu Online.
- Gallup. (2016). How millennials want to work and live: The six big changes leaders have to make. Gallup. (4.47 Mb pdf)
- The human cloud, the gig economy & the transformation of work. (2018). Staffing Industry Analysts. (685K pdf)
- ILO. (2018). World employment and social outlook: Trends 2018.
- ILO. (2018). World employment and social outlook 2018: Greening with jobs. (2.81 Mb pdf)
- Kizu, T., Kühn, S., & Viegelahn, C. (2016). Linking jobs in global supply chains to demand (Research paper no. 16). International Labour Organization. (1.30 Mb pdf)
- Mahajan, D., Manyika, J., & White, O. (2019, February 6). Nearly one billion people have no form of legal ID. Going digital could change that. CNN.
- Mangabeira Unger, R. (2019). The knowledge economy. Verso. (695K pdf)
- Manyika, J., Chui, M., Madgavkar, A., & Lund, S. (2017). Technology, jobs and the future of work (Briefing note). McKinsey & Company.
- McAuliffe, M., & Khadria, B. (Eds.). (2020). World migration report 2020. International Organization for Migration.
- Montt, G., Fraga, F., & Harsdorff, M. (2018). The future of work in a changing natural environment: Climate change, degradation and sustainability (Future of work research paper series no. 4). International Labour Organization.
- Robertson, R., Brown, D., Pierre, G., Sanchez-Puerta, M.-L. (2009). Globalization, wages and the quality of jobs: Lessons for policy makers (Employment policy primer no. 15). World Bank.
- Santariano, A. (2020, January 17). Amazon to retrain a third of its US workers as automation advances. Business Standard.
- Taylor, K. (2016, March 17). Carl’s Jr.’s CEO says he dreams of a day when human workers are obsolete. Business Insider India.
- UNESCO. (2019). Global Education Monitoring Report: Gender report: building bridges for gender equality.
- Woetzel, J., et al. (2015). The power of parity: How advancing women’s equality can add $12 trillion to global growth. McKinsey & Company.
- World Economic Forum. (2016). The future of jobs: Employment, skills and workforce strategy for the fourth industrial revolution (Global challenge insight report).
- World Economic Forum. (2020). Jobs of tomorrow: Mapping opportunity in the new economy.
Week 5: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning & Deep Learning
- Baruah, A. (2019, November 22). Artificial intelligence in Indian agriculture: An industry and startup overview. Emerj.
- Gupta, A. (2018, March 15). Machine learning algorithms in autonomous driving. IIoT World.
- Hollister, S. (2019, April 22). Tesla’s new self-driving chip is here, and this is your best look yet. The Verge.
- HubSpot. (2017, January 30). What is artificial intelligence (or machine learning)? [Video]. Youtube. (6:14 min.)
- IBM. (2018, September 19). Helping to improve medical image analysis with deep learning. Phys.org.
- Kessler, A. (2020, February 26). It’s time to protect Kenyans from a digital lending laboratory. Center for Financial Inclusion.
- Simplilearn. (2019, June 3). Deep learning In 5 minutes: What is deep learning?: deep learning explained simply: Simplilearn [Video]. Youtube. (5:51 min.)
- Accenture. (2020). What is artificial intelligence, really?
- Brownlee, J. (2020, August 14). What is deep learning?. Machine Learning Mastery.
- Chen, C. (n.d.). Deep learning for self-driving car. Princeton. (32.08 Mb pdf)
- Faggella, D. (2020, February 26). What is machine learning?. Emerj.
- Faux, Z. (2020, February 12). Tech startups are flooding Kenya with apps offering high-interest loans. Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Kourantidou, M. (2019, July 12). Artificial intelligence makes fishing more sustainable by tracking illegal activity. Dalhousie University.
- SMLease Design. (n.d.). Machine learning vs deep learning: What is the difference?.
- Wang, J. (2019, May 1). The Tesla self driving computer is four years ahead of the competition. ARK Investment Management.
- Wright, G. (2018, November 16). The digital transformation: Four opportunities and three threats for traditional financial institutions. Microsave Consulting.
Week 6: The Internet of Things & Augmented / Virtual Reality
- Briodagh, K. (Host). (2019, November 7). Ivenix (S.4 Ep. 35) [Audio podcast episode]. In IoT Time. IoT Evolution.
- ColdFusion. (2017, April 1). What are virtual and augmented realities? [Video]. Youtube. (7:32 min.)
- Evolve Conference. (2018, May 31). Evolve 2018: AR, VR, & the future of work [Video]. Youtube. (26:26 min.)
- Fade, L. (2019, February 6). Augmented reality In business: How AR may change the way we work. Forbes.
- Fruhlinger, J. (2020, May 13). What is IoT? The Internet of Things explained. Network World.
- Virtual reality: Catalyzing the future of work. Toptal.
- Clark, J. (2016, November 17). What is the Internet of Things (IoT)?. IBM.
- Rainie, L, & Anderson, J. (2017, June 6). The Internet of Things connectivity binge: What are the implications? Pew Research Center.
- Rose, K., Eldridge, S., & Chapin, L. (2015). The Internet of Things: An overview: understanding the issues and challenges of a more connected world. Internet Society.
- What is virtual reality? (2017). Virtual Reality Society.
Week 7: Advanced Robotics & 3D Printing
- 3D Construction Printing. (2019, October 28). Winsun 3D R&D Center in Shanghai – Largest 3D printing building construction [Video]. Youtube. (10:39 min.)
- Casey, M., & Nzau, S. (2019, March 18). Robots kill jobs. But they create jobs too. Brookings.
- D’Aveni, R. (2018). The 3-D printing playbook. Harvard Business Review, 96(4), 106-113. (StFX only)
- Küpper, D., Lorenz, M., Knizek, C., Kuhlmann, K., Maue, A., Lässig, R., & Buchner, T. (2019). Advanced robotics in the factory of the future. Boston Consulting Group. (2.51 Mb pdf)
- Mashable. (2017, June 6). How drones are helping to plant trees: A cleaner future [Video]. Youtube. (3:37 min.)
- Ravikumar, G.V.V. (n.d.). Advanced robotics: Autonomous solutions take on dull, dirty, and dangerous work. Infosys.
- Singularity University Summits. (2017, June 29). Advanced robotics: Sarah Bergbreiter: exponential manufacturing [Video]. Youtube. (22:45 min.)
- Acemoglu, D., & Restrepo, P. (2019). Automation and new tasks: How technology displaces and reinstates labor. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 33(2), 3-30. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.33.2.3
- D’Aveni, R.A. (2013). 3-D printing will change the world. Harvard Business Review, 91(3), 34. (StFX only)
- Küpper, D., Kuhlmann, K., Köcher, S., Dauner, T., & Burggräf, P. (2016). The factory of the future. Boston Consulting Group. (2.53 Mb pdf)
- Technoserve. (2018). Eyes in the sky for African agriculture, water resources, and urban planning: Exploring how advances in drone-assisted imaging and mapping services can bring new income and efficiency to economic development in East Africa. (3.10 Mb pdf)
- When the servers are robots. (2020). Harvard Business Review, 98(5), 22-24. (StFX only)
Week 8: Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies
- Barone, A. (2019, June 25). The future of cryptocurrency in 2019 and beyond. Investopedia.
- Blockgeeks. (2018, November 8). What is cryptocurrency? A simple explanation [Video]. Youtube. (2:58 min.)
- Deliotte. (2020). 5 Blockchain Trends for 2020 (C-Suite briefing). (2.21 Mb pdf)
- IBM Blockchain. (2017, May 8). What is the difference between Bitcoin and blockchain? [Video]. Youtube. (2:42 min.)
- McCall, M. (2020, October 28). The big breakout you’re not hearing about. MoneyWire.
- Royal, J., & Voigt, K. (2020, October 23). What is cryptocurrency? Here’s what you should know. NerdWallet.
- Simply Explained. (2017, November 13). How does a block chain work – simply explained [Video]. Youtube. (5:59 min.)
- Asia Blockchain Review. (2019, November 12). UN adopts blockchain to improve lives in refugee camps.
- Bora Sachdev, N. (2018, August 22). Blockchain in India: ‘Successful implementations will proliferate country’s prominence as a blockchain destination.’ The Indian Express.
- Chen, Y., & Bellavitis, C. (2020). Blockchain disruption and decentralized finance: The rise of decentralized business models. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbvi.2019.e00151
- Chen, H. S., Jarrell, J. T., Carpenter, K. A., Cohen, D. S., & Huang, X. (2019). Blockchain in healthcare: A patient-centered model. Biomedical Journal of Scientific & Technical Research, 20(3), 15017–15022.
- Elmandjra, Y. (2020). Bitcoin: A novel economic institution (part 1). ARK Invest.
- Iyer, S. (2019, December). Bitcoin vs Blockchain: All you need to know. Market Realist.
- Phillips, D. (2020, July 10). Why is Bitcoin’s supply limit set to 21 million? Decrypt.
- Roy, A., Kumar, A., Mahindru, T., Shukla, P., Sharan, A. (2020). Blockchain: The India strategy: towards enabling ease of business, ease of living, and ease of governance (part 1). NITI Aayog. (2.45 Mb pdf)
- Williams, S. (2018, March 14). The basics of cryptocurrency mining, explained in plain English. The Motley Fool.
Week 9: Business Perspectives and Community Responses to Future of Work and Workers
- Bakken, R. (2019, April 12). Future-proof job skills: What employees need to know. Harvard Extension School.
- CivicAction is a civic engagement organization that creates and implements solutions to challenges in the greater Toronto and Hamilton area. Its Future of Work Champions Council will help develop new work to drive action and impact.
- Escalator brings together private, public and community sectors and uses solutions to address unemployment for youth across Ontario.
- HireNext, attract and retain youth and increase diversity and experience in your organization.
- YouthConnect prepares youth for the future of work through free skills-building events and online learning.
- Employment Hero. (2020, February 7). 6 of the most in-demand skills for the future of work.
- FOW Canada – the future of work will be defined by a number of large-scale changes affecting the nature of work. It is important to understand how this change will influence pathways to a new career direction.
- Jones, C. (2020, October 22). These tech giants want to help prepare the world for the future of work. World Economic Forum.
- Relay Ventures. (2018, August 1). Kaylee Astle & Reid Wuntke: MobSquad | Relay Ventures Portfolio Day 2018 [Video]. Youtube. (9:10 min.)
- Christensen, L., Gittleson, J., & Smith, M. (2020, August 7). The most fundamental skill: Intentional learning and the career advantage. McKinsey & Company.
- Gausi, T. (Ed.). (2016). Recommendation 204: Ending informality [Special report: Informal equality]. Equal Times, News at Work. (5.43 Mb pdf)
- Hancock, B., Lazaroff-Puck, K., & Rutherford, S. (2020, January 30). Getting practical about the future of work. McKinsey & Company.
- ILO. (2017). The future of work we want: A global dialogue.
- ITUC. (2017). Shaping the future of women at work. 3rd ITUC World Women’s Conference/Women’s Organising Assembly. (494K pdf)
Week 10: Role of Governments and Education Institutions in shaping and influencing the Future of Work and Workers
- Africa Centre. (Executive Producer). (2018). Education: Quality vs quantity – Chinezi Chijioke [Audio podcast episode]. In Talking heads. Africa Centre.
- Brannon, P., MacLean, K., & Howlett, R. (2020). Bouncing back: How to spur innovation in Nova Scotia post-COVID-19. Atlantic Provinces Economic Council.
- Fain, P. (2019, July 17). Employers as educators. Transforming Teaching & Learning, Inside Higher Ed.
- Future of jobs in India: A 2022 perspective. (2017). NASSCOM, FICCI, & EY.
- Harambee partners with South Africa and Rwanda and is dedicated to solving the global youth unemployment challenge.
- Instill Education is a start-up education organization with a vision to transform teaching and school leadership across the African continent.
- Mahboubi, P. (2020, October 15). Gig workers need more than temporary government relief programs. The Globe and Mail.
- Skoll.org. (2015, April 29). The age before impossible: Young voices, big dreams – 2015 Skoll World Forum [Video]. Youtube. (78:40 min.)
- Roxburgh, C., et al. (2010). Lions on the move: The progress and potential of African economies [Executive summary]. McKinsey & Company. (1.26 Mb pdf)
- Shango, D. (2019, September 3). Why the skills gap remains wider in Africa. World Economic Forum.
- Sunasee, V. (Host). (2020-present). In the room [Audio podcast]. Africa Leadership Group.
- Surianarain, S. (2020, August 27). When the phone rang, Harambee answered – over 1 million times: Partnering with government in complex and uncertain times. Skoll.org.
- Surianarain, S., & Taylor, J. (2020, October 9). “Side hustle” is not a swear word: How to make gigs work for young Africans. Femlab.co.
Week 11: Towards a Just Transition
- Francese, M., & Prady, D. (2018). What is universal basic income? Finance & Development, 55(4).
- ILO. (2019, May 9). Singapore Conference on the Future of Work 2019: Overview of the report “Work for a brighter future” [Video]. Youtube. (15:43 min.)
- ILO. (2015). Guidelines for a just transition towards environmentally sustainable economies and societies for all.
- Innovations for Poverty Action. (2017). The effects of a universal basic income during the COVID-19 pandemic in Kenya [Study summary].
- Paikin, S. (2019, December 3). Future-proofing the economy [Video]. TVO. (20:48 min.)
- TEDx Talks. (2016, October 10). How the future of work is not ‘jobs’: Rudy Karsan: TEDxCalgary [Video]. Youtube. (12:58 min.)
- Trade Union Advisory Committee to the OECD. (2019, April 26). Employment outlook 2019: OECD calls for a ‘transition agenda that works for all” and to tackle the misclassification of workers.
- Burtless, G. (1986). The work response to a guaranteed income: A survey of experimental evidence. In A. H. Munnell (Ed.), Lessons from the income maintenance experiments conference (pp. 22-52). Brookings Institution. (2.13 Mb pdf)
- Chin, F. (2020, October 31). Banking barriers: How the Canadian financial sector excludes Black entrepreneurs, stifling innovation. CBC.
- Gentilini, U., Grosh, M., Rigolini, J., & Yemtsov, R. (Eds.). (2020). Exploring universal basic income: A guide to navigating concepts, evidence, and practices. World Bank.
- SEWA Bharat. (2015). Madhya Pradesh unconditional cash transfer project: Executive summary. (1.08 Mb pdf)
- Webster, E. (2011). Work and economic security in the 21st century: What can we learn from Ela Bhatt? (Working paper no. 1). International Center for Development and Decent Work. (778K pdf)
- Atlantic Blockchain Company (ABC), based in Halifax, NS, encourages the adoption of Blockchain technology.
- Bitcoin explorer, Blockchain provides current market statistics.
- EverLedger is an independent technology company that helps businesses share asset information using secure technologies, including blockchain, AI and IoT.
- Givetrack leverages blockchain technology to revolutionize philanthropy.