Marie Michael Library
Future of Work
Week 1: Introductory Resources
- Global Commission on the Future of Work. (2019). Work for a brighter future [Executive summary]. ILO. (316K pdf)
- ILO. (2020, July 1-9). Concept note. Global Summit on COVID-19 and the World of Work – Building a better future of work. (198K pdf)
- Saliola, F. (2020, July 7). Why the Future of Work policy agenda remains relevant: It’s not just about addressing digital disruption. World Bank Blogs.
- Schwartz, J., Jones, R., Hatfield, S., & Anderson, S. (2019, April 1). What is the future of work? Redefining work, workforces, and workplaces. Deloitte Insights.
- Winton, B. (2019). Disruptive innovation: Why now? ARK Investment Management. (3.31 Mb pdf)
- Zahidi, S. (2020, May 1). The future of work is here: 5 ways to reset labour markets after coronavirus recovery. World Economic Forum.
Week 2: The History of Work
- Auerback, M. 2016, February 24). The economics of care: Nancy Folbre [Video]. Institute for New Economic Thinking. (15:20 min.)
- AWID Staff. (2013, February 4). Rethinking ideas of work from a feminist perspective. AWID.
- BBC. (2003). The history of work: Part one [Audio podcast]. (24:49 min.)
- BBC. (2003). The history of work: Part three [Audio podcast]. (24:56 min.)
- Business Casual. (2019, December 15). America’s forgotten titan: George Westinghouse [Video]. Youtube. (23:51 min.)
- Morgan, J. (2015, December 16). How do you define work? Forbes.
- Business Casual. (2019, January 18). How Ford built America: The man behind the automobile [Video]. Youtube. (14:10 min.)
- English, B. (Host). (2019). Making the woman worker [Audio podcast episode]. In Working History. Southern Labor Studies Association.
- Innovative History. (2016, June 19). Henry Ford: 3 minute innovative history [Video]. Youtube. (2:59 min.)
- ITUC. (2019). Investing in the care economy: Background note for CSW63. (198K pdf)
- Ribeiro, C. (2020, May 23). ‘Pink-collar recession’: How the Covid-19 crisis could set back a generation of women. The Guardian.
- Simple History. (2017, October 1). The Industrial Revolution (18-19th century). [Video]. Youtube. (3:58 min.)
- Smith, B. (2014, January 23). Let’s learn from the past: George Westinghouse. Pittsburgh-Post Gazette.
Week 3: The History of Workers
- Bajwa, U., Gastaldo, D., Di Ruggiero, E., & Knorr, L. (2018). The health of workers in the global gig economy. Globalization and Health, 14, 124. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12992-018-0444-8
- Conniff, R. (2011, March). What the Luddites really fought against. Smithsonian Magazine.
- Eschner, K. (2016, December 1). One hundred and three years ago today, Henry Ford introduced the assembly line: His workers hated it. Smithsonian Magazine.
- Essential Pittsburgh. (2016, June 3). Everybody (was) workin’ for the Westinghouse weekend [Audio podcast]. Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation. (11:14 min.)
- Intelecom. (2018, March 14). Women and the Industrial Revolution [Video]. Youtube. (5:02 min.)
- Reel Truth History Documentaries. (2018, November 26). Private life of the Industrial Revolution: Social change: history documentary: Reel Truth History [Video]. Youtube. (45:50 min.)
- Reel Truth History Documentaries. (2018, November 26). Private life of the Industrial Revolution: Steam engine: history documentary: Reel Truth History [Video]. Youtube. (45:35 min.)
- WIEGO. (2020). The history of organizing informal workers.
- Cook, K., Pinder, D., Stewart, S., Uchegbu, A., & Wright, J. (2019, October 4). The future of work in black America. McKinsey & Company.
- Cwiek, S. (2014, January 27). The middle class took off 100 years ago… Thanks To Henry Ford? [Audio podcast episode]. In All Things Considered. NPR.
- History. (2016, November 27). Sound smart: Child labor in the Industrial Revolution: history [Video]. Youtube. (2:12 min.)
- Kestenbaum, D., & Goldstein, J. (2015, May 6). Episode 621: When Luddites attack [Audio podcast episode]. In Planet Money. NPR.
Week 4: Current Context: Opportunities and Challenges
- The Economist. (2020, June 25). Covid-19: Is working from home really the new normal?: The Economist [Video]. Youtube. (8:46 min.)
- Galperin, H., & Alarcon, A. (2018). The future of work in the global south. IDRC. (18.76 Mb pdf)
- International Labour Organization. (2018, May 15). The employment impact of the transition to a green economy [Video]. Youtube. (2:01 min.)
- Kuptsch, C., Amara, U., Schmidt, D., Addati, L., Comyn, P., & Walsh, K. 2016). The future of labour supply: Demographics, migration, unpaid work (The future of work centenary initiative note no. 2). International Labour Office.
- Ratcheva, V. S., & Leopold, T. (2018, September 17). 5 things to know about the future of jobs. World Economic Forum.
- VICE News. (2019, November 20). The future of work: A VICE News special report [Video]. Youtube. (54:47 min.)
- Aaronson, S. R., Daly, M. C., Wascher, W. L., & Wilcox, D. W. (2019). Okun revisited: Who benefits most from a strong economy? (Papers on economic activity). Brookings.
- Buckley, P., & Majumdar, R. (2018). The services powerhouse: Increasingly vital to world economic growth. Deloitte Insights.
- Choi, J., Dutz, M., & Usman, Z. (Eds.). (2020). The future of work in Africa: Harnessing the potential of digital technologies for all [eBook]. World Bank.
- Choudary, S. P. (2018). The architecture of digital labour platforms: Policy recommendations on platform design for worker well-being (Future of work research paper series, no 3). International Labour Organization. (895K pdf)
- Develop Nova Scotia. (2020). Business plan 2020-21. (6.78 Mb pdf)
- Dorn, D. (2015). The rise of the machines: How computers have changed work (Public paper no. 4). UBS Center. (2.78 Mb pdf)
- Dua, A., Ellingrud, K., Mahajan, D., & Silberg, J. (2020, June 18). Which small businesses are most vulnerable to COVID-19 – and when. McKinsey & Company.
- Ernst & Young. (2018, March 26). The future of work is changing. Will your workforce be ready? Zuu Online.
- Gallup. (2016). How millennials want to work and live: The six big changes leaders have to make. Gallup. (4.47 Mb pdf)
- The human cloud, the gig economy & the transformation of work. (2018). Staffing Industry Analysts. (685K pdf)
- ILO. (2018). World employment and social outlook: Trends 2018.
- ILO. (2018). World employment and social outlook 2018: Greening with jobs. (2.81 Mb pdf)
- Kizu, T., Kühn, S., & Viegelahn, C. (2016). Linking jobs in global supply chains to demand (Research paper no. 16). International Labour Organization. (1.30 Mb pdf)
- Mahajan, D., Manyika, J., & White, O. (2019, February 6). Nearly one billion people have no form of legal ID. Going digital could change that. CNN.
- Mangabeira Unger, R. (2019). The knowledge economy. Verso. (695K pdf)
- Manyika, J., Chui, M., Madgavkar, A., & Lund, S. (2017). Technology, jobs and the future of work (Briefing note). McKinsey & Company.
- McAuliffe, M., & Khadria, B. (Eds.). (2020). World migration report 2020. International Organization for Migration.
- Montt, G., Fraga, F., & Harsdorff, M. (2018). The future of work in a changing natural environment: Climate change, degradation and sustainability (Future of work research paper series no. 4). International Labour Organization.
- Robertson, R., Brown, D., Pierre, G., Sanchez-Puerta, M.-L. (2009). Globalization, wages and the quality of jobs: Lessons for policy makers (Employment policy primer no. 15). World Bank.
- Santariano, A. (2020, January 17). Amazon to retrain a third of its US workers as automation advances. Business Standard.
- Taylor, K. (2016, March 17). Carl’s Jr.’s CEO says he dreams of a day when human workers are obsolete. Business Insider India.
- UNESCO. (2019). Global Education Monitoring Report: Gender report: building bridges for gender equality.
- Woetzel, J., et al. (2015). The power of parity: How advancing women’s equality can add $12 trillion to global growth. McKinsey & Company.
- World Economic Forum. (2016). The future of jobs: Employment, skills and workforce strategy for the fourth industrial revolution (Global challenge insight report).
- World Economic Forum. (2020). Jobs of tomorrow: Mapping opportunity in the new economy.
Week 5: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning & Deep Learning
- Baruah, A. (2019, November 22). Artificial intelligence in Indian agriculture: An industry and startup overview [Blog post]. Emerj.
- Gupta, A. (2018, March 15). Machine learning algorithms in autonomous driving [Blog post]. IIoT World.
- Hollister, S. (2019, April 22). Tesla’s new self-driving chip is here, and this is your best look yet [Blog post]. The Verge.
- HubSpot. (2017, January 30). What is artificial intelligence (or machine learning)? [Video]. Youtube. (6:14 min.)
- IBM. (2018, September 19). Helping to improve medical image analysis with deep learning. Phys.org.
- Kessler, A. (2020, February 26). It’s time to protect Kenyans from a digital lending laboratory [Blog post]. Center for Financial Inclusion.
- Simplilearn. (2019, June 3). Deep learning In 5 minutes: What is deep learning?: deep learning explained simply: Simplilearn [Video]. Youtube. (5:51 min.)
- Accenture. (2020). What is artificial intelligence, really?
- Brownlee, J. (2020, August 14). What is deep learning? [Blog post]. Machine Learning Mastery.
- Chen, C. (n.d.). Deep learning for self-driving car. Princeton. (32.08 Mb pdf)
- Faggella, D. (2020, February 26). What is machine learning? [Blog post]. Emerj.
- Faux, Z. (2020, February 12). Tech startups are flooding Kenya with apps offering high-interest loans. Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Kourantidou, M. (2019, July 12). Artificial intelligence makes fishing more sustainable by tracking illegal activity [Blog post]. Dalhousie University.
- SMLease Design. (n.d.). Machine learning vs deep learning: What is the difference? [Blog post].
- Wang, J. (2019, May 1). The Tesla self driving computer is four years ahead of the competition. ARK Investment Management.
- Wright, G. (2018, November 16). The digital transformation: Four opportunities and three threats for traditional financial institutions [Blog post]. Microsave Consulting.