News and Events
Employment Opportunity Research and Engagement Coordinator – Community Housing Program The Opportunity Coady Institute is looking for a dynamic and innovative Project Staff member to support its Community Housing Program, which includes a focus on the intersection of...
The history of National Housing Day dates back to 1998 when the homelessness advocacy group Toronto Disaster Relief Committee (TDRC) declared homelessness to be a national disaster. Now 23 years later, we know that there is still much work to be done.
Read the October edition of the Build Together Newsletter! In this issue of the Build Together Newsletter you will find: • Who’s Engaged• What's Been Accomplished o Consultation A Findings o Consultation B Findings o Consultation C Findings o Engaging with...
Join us for the fourth in a series of webinars presented by Coady Institute, StFX Extension, and the Nova Scotia Federation of Labour focused on the Future of Work and Workers.
We need your input! It’s time to consider how members of Nova Scotia’s community housing sector (CHS) will work together for greater positive impact. Watch a video and read supporting documents. Complete a brief 4-question...
September 29 | Working While Black will address some of the behaviours Black Workers in Nova Scotia face every day in their workplaces. Join us as we learn of some of the challenges facing those who provide counselling and other psychological services to those same Black workers.
We share in the grief of this most recent discovery; and we acknowledge that this grief is unequally carried by those directly targeted by the historical and ongoing violence against them as Indigenous communities across Turtle Island continue to experience intergenerational trauma from these experiences at the hands of Canada’s governments and church officials.
If you work or volunteer with a non-profit or cooperative housing group in Nova Scotia, we need your input! Please join us in discovering new ways of working together for greater collective impact.
June 2 | Join the Nova Scotia Federation of Labour, StFX Extension, and Coady Institute for a webinar focused on Workers’ Rights and Sick Days in Nova Scotia. This event is funded by the Topshee Memorial Fund.
This year the Nova Scotia Federation of Labour, StFX Extension, and Coady Institute are commemorating the National Day of Mourning by launching a new webinar series, Building Back Better for Nova Scotian Workers. The first webinar takes place online April 28 from 7 to 8 p.m. and focuses on Worker Health and Safety.
In the News...
- Have your say: Housing crisis consultations roll out across Guysborough County | Guysborough Journal | May 11, 2022
- Learn how your co-op can build on its strengths | Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada | May 4, 2022
- Housing Co-ops, Maritime Noon with Bob Murphy | CBC | March 15, 2022
- Public consultation on affordable housing coming in St. Mary’s | Guysborough Journal |March 9, 2022
- How 2 students uncovered Antigonish’s long-forgotten Black housing co-operative | CBC | January 5, 2022
- Why millions, land and a desire to build affordable housing may not be enough | CBC News | December 7, 2021
- What affordable housing advocates are looking for from N.S. leaders this election | CBC Main Street | August, 2021
- N.S. to spend $25M on affordable housing programs | CBC News | July, 2021
- Research on rentals in Guysborough County to start this summer | Toronto Star | May, 2021
- Darrin Harvey of Stingray Media interviews Pauline MacIntosh | Stingray Media | April, 2021
- StFX housing project will help inform local efforts | The Star | Mar, 2021
- StFX Extension looking into housing | XFM | Mar, 2021
- StFX to look at growing capacity in community housing sector | The Reporter | Mar, 2021
- Project aims to create ‘unified voice’ for community housing groups in N.S. | CBC News | Mar, 2021
- Nova Scotians hoping to build strong bridges in community housing sector | Community Housing Support Centre | Mar, 2021
- Port Hawkesbury names housing a top priority | Port Hawkesbury Reporter | Feb, 2021
- Affordable housing is high on Port Hawkesbury’s priority list | Inverness Oran | Feb, 2021
- Antigonish County council provides land, funding for affordable housing initiative | Guysborough Journal | Sept, 2020
- People’s School on Housing: From Research to Action | Port Hawkesbury Reporter | May, 2019
- People’s School a Success! | Antigonish Affordable Housing Society | 2018