News and Events
Join us as we explore Building Back Better for Nova Scotian Workers. The first topic of the series is Worker Health and Safety. On April 28, the National Day of Mourning, we will explore the Westray experience and legacy and what occupation, health, and safety measures mean for workers in the midst of Covid-19.
If 2020 taught us anything, it is the importance of having a safe home. We at StFX Extension, in partnership with the Community Housing Transformation Centre (the Centre), are pleased to announce the launch of “Build Together: Strengthening the Community Housing Sector in Nova Scotia”.
Through the administration of the Greening Memorial Fund, StFX Extension is pleased to support the creation of Work, Work, Work: Work and Labour History in Song, a history of working people in Newfoundland and Labrador through music and song.
Building on the work started last year with a people’s school on affordable housing focused on building awareness and inspiring action and a community think tank about housing needs, a recent people’s school explored ways to build the research capacity of community groups to provide evidence about local needs and support their housing goals.
The StFX Extension Department, in partnership with the Strait Richmond Housing Group, and the Antigonish Affordable Housing Society, will co-host a People’s School on Housing Needs: From Research to Action on May 11, 2019 in Port Hawkesbury.
In the News...
- Have your say: Housing crisis consultations roll out across Guysborough County | Guysborough Journal | May 11, 2022
- Learn how your co-op can build on its strengths | Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada | May 4, 2022
- Housing Co-ops, Maritime Noon with Bob Murphy | CBC | March 15, 2022
- Public consultation on affordable housing coming in St. Mary’s | Guysborough Journal |March 9, 2022
- How 2 students uncovered Antigonish’s long-forgotten Black housing co-operative | CBC | January 5, 2022
- Why millions, land and a desire to build affordable housing may not be enough | CBC News | December 7, 2021
- What affordable housing advocates are looking for from N.S. leaders this election | CBC Main Street | August, 2021
- N.S. to spend $25M on affordable housing programs | CBC News | July, 2021
- Research on rentals in Guysborough County to start this summer | Toronto Star | May, 2021
- Darrin Harvey of Stingray Media interviews Pauline MacIntosh | Stingray Media | April, 2021
- StFX housing project will help inform local efforts | The Star | Mar, 2021
- StFX Extension looking into housing | XFM | Mar, 2021
- StFX to look at growing capacity in community housing sector | The Reporter | Mar, 2021
- Project aims to create ‘unified voice’ for community housing groups in N.S. | CBC News | Mar, 2021
- Nova Scotians hoping to build strong bridges in community housing sector | Community Housing Support Centre | Mar, 2021
- Port Hawkesbury names housing a top priority | Port Hawkesbury Reporter | Feb, 2021
- Affordable housing is high on Port Hawkesbury’s priority list | Inverness Oran | Feb, 2021
- Antigonish County council provides land, funding for affordable housing initiative | Guysborough Journal | Sept, 2020
- People’s School on Housing: From Research to Action | Port Hawkesbury Reporter | May, 2019
- People’s School a Success! | Antigonish Affordable Housing Society | 2018