Women’s Leadership in Community Development
August 24 – September 4, 2020
This program inspires women to enhance their leadership capacities for citizen-led community-driven development and create spaces for social change in solidarity with others, focusing on tools that prioritize equity and inclusion. The course welcomes women of all ages and backgrounds who are able to demonstrate the ways they are currently engaged in local development in their respective countries.
Personal benefits include:
- assessing life and leadership experiences for personal strengths and motivations;
- building a leadership profile to uncover women participants’ strengths and capacities;
- learning practical new tools and strategies for moving development forward with inclusive, gender-sensitive processes for community-led change; and
- networking with an inspired group of women to construct approaches that break down gender-oriented barriers and constraints that limit development.
As a result of this program, participants will:
- develop women-sensitive approaches and structures to increase the social capital of their organizations; and
- develop vision and leadership approaches which strengthen advocacy and lead to innovation and social change.
Who should take the program?
The strength of the course is in the diversity of women who attend. The mix of ages, nationalities, family responsibilities, education, religions, and working lives creates a dynamic context for learning. Women who are leaders and those who aspire to ignite their leadership potential to journey the leadership road are welcome.
Approach to learning
Coady courses include a variety of participatory and experiential learning methods by which participants share their experiences and deepen their learnings. These include lecture presentations, small group discussions, role-plays and simulation exercises, video/written case studies, guest speakers, and skill-building exercises. Participants benefit from visits to local field sites to engage practitioners and dialogue with stakeholders. All presentations and instructional materials are in English.
A mix of institutional and private donors who share Coady Institute’s vision of community-based, citizen-lead change subsidize the institute’s educational programs. As possible, Coady will provide qualifying candidates with a partial bursary to assist with course fees. However, all participants will be responsible for fees payable of at least $2,250 CAD, as well as travel and other costs. Fees are payable prior to the start of the selected course.