Action Research for Citizen-led Change
July 6 – 17, 2020
Application deadline April 1, 2020
This course covers the basics of action research for citizen-led change. You will design your own action research initiative step-by-step, learning about the principles and methods appropriate for different action research purposes. The course will include a field visit to a local community with experience of action research.
- learn about the range of possibilities and purposes for action research in local and international contexts;
- understand the action research cycle and the role of community members and other stakeholders in designing, conducting, and producing action research;
- evaluate different research methods for your contribution to citizen action; and
- understand and act on the ethical issues relevant to action research.
Your organization will:
- increase capacity to design and co-ordinate research that contributes to citizen-led action;
- improve ability to critically evaluate research and researchers; and
- exercise greater influence as stewards of ethical and effective research practice.
Who should take the course?
This program is designed for experienced practitioners who are interested in developing skills in action research practice for citizen-led development.
The course will include a variety of participatory and experiential learning methods by which participants will share their experiences and deepen their learnings. These will include lecture presentations, small group discussions, role-plays and simulation exercises, video/written case studies, guest speakers, and skill-building exercises. Participants will benefit from visits to local field sites to engage practitioners and dialogue with stakeholders. All presentations and instructional materials will be in English.
A mix of institutional and private donors who share Coady Institute’s vision of community-based, citizen-lead change subsidize the institute’s educational programs. As possible, Coady will provide qualifying candidates with a partial bursary to assist with course fees. However, all participants will be responsible for fees payable of at least $2,250 CAD, as well as travel and other costs. Fees are payable prior to the start of the selected course.