Advocacy: Increasing Citizen Voice and Agency
June 15 – 26, 2020
The deadline for applications is March 15, 2020.
Personal Benefits include:
- developing skills in influencing public policy at various levels; visioning; contextual analysis; problem/issue identification; power mapping; goal setting; analyzing arenas for action; strategy selection; lobbying and negotiation; citizen mobilization; coalition-building; and monitoring and evaluating advocacy campaigns;
- learning the theoretical foundations and critical issues in human rights advocacy; and
- strengthening communication skills which are to key to making an effective case for change.
Organizational Benefits include:
- increasing capacity to strategize and co-ordinate joint advocacy campaigns;
- improving consistency and effectiveness of advocacy campaigns;
- identifying organizational legitimacy and credibility to undertake advocacy; and
- enabling greater influence in public policy and mobilizing public opinion to support social, economic, and political change.
Who should take the Program?
This program is designed for new and/or experienced advocacy and development practitioners from organizations, coalitions, institutions, or social movements working to advance human rights and social justice, primarily in the Global South.
Through experiential and learner-centered methods, the course will draw on the experiences and stories of participants through varied learning methods, including interactive mini-lectures, small group discussions, analysis of video case studies, field visits, and a variety of skill-building exercises. Participants will have an opportunity to apply the advocacy planning process in issue-based groups throughout the course.
A mix of institutional and private donors who share Coady Institute’s vision of community-based, citizen-lead change subsidize the institute’s educational programs. As possible, Coady will provide qualifying candidates with a partial bursary to assist with course fees. However, all participants will be responsible for fees payable of at least $2,250 CAD, as well as travel and other costs. Fees are payable prior to the start of the selected course.