Growing Social Justice at X
Reimagining the Coady Chair in Social Justice
This spring The Coady Chair in Social Justice (CCSJ) Committee is turning a fresh page and asking:
- What is needed to strengthen our learning and action around social justice in our communities and at StFX?
- How do we grow a culture of social justice?
- What social justice issues really matter now?
- How could the CCSJ help?
We need your voice!
This engagement is for:
- StFX Students who care about social justice issues on campus and in wider communities
- StFX staff and faculty who want to see StFX continue to evolve and support students as engaged citizens
- Neighbouring communities and care about Social Justice issues
- Communities that face systemic and historic oppression
How you can participate:
- Take the survey
- Join us for a conversation:
- Faculty and Staff | April 2, 12:30-5:30
- Students and the Public | April 2, 3:30-5:30
Background: What is CCSJ?
The Coady Chair in Social Justice (CCSJ) honours the spirit of Dr. Rev. Moses Coady and the leaders of the Antigonish Movement by bridging local and global concerns, involving many communities, and encouraging an interdisciplinary approach to issues.
At the core, It’s purpose is to engage St. Francis Xavier (StFX) University and communities in issues of social justice.
The work of the CCSJ has always been focused on building right relationships within and among our diverse communities, examining our challenges, and obstacles and understanding our multiple starting points as a foundation for building just futures.
Recent Coady Chairs of Social Justice:
A recipient of the 2002 Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal, Mr. Syliboy shares his creativity to engage youth and advocate for environmental sustainability, nation-building and reconciliation. May 31 Inverview with CBC radio