Development Theory and Practice
Funding Sources and Fundraising Strategies
- All about nonprofit fundraising, Free Management Library’s resource collection will help nonprofit leaders and staff understand fundraising.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals, news releases, directories, and a resource center.
- Charity Village, Canadian site for the nonprofit sector. It contains news, jobs, information and resources.
- Foundation Center works to strengthen the nonprofit sector by advancing knowledge about U.S. philanthropy.
- Foundations & Grantmakers Directory, alphabetical listing of foundations and grantmakers based in the United States.
- Funding sources provided by AWID. This searchable database is updated regularly.
- FUNDSFORNGOS builds the capacity of NGOs by increasing their access to donors, resources, and skills.
- Global Fund for Women. (2014). Fundraising for change: A practical guide for women’s rights organizations. This handbook describes the preparation and strategies for fundraising available to women’s organizations. (416K pdf)
- Fundsnet Services: International Grants and Funders
- Guide for writing a funding proposal, features a selection of recommended books to help with the preparation of a funding proposal.
- How to write Logical Framework Analysis (LFA) in grant proposals: A simple guide for NGOs provides simple explanations to assist NGOs and other development professionals to understand and develop this framework.
- Imagine Canada, Canadian Directory to Foundations and Corporations.
- Kanti, R. (2015, January 5). The Global Funds for Children: Providing critical services to the vulnerable children around the world. Small grants available to community-based organizations working with vulnerable children and youth.
- Luitel, G. (2014, July 25). A list of 20 foundations supporting projects on children.
- Luitel, G. (2014, July 24). The Urgent Action Fund for women human rights defenders.
- Margaret McNamara Education Grants supports women from developing countries in their pursuit of higher education.
- Proposal Development Resource, developed by Grand Challenges Canada, assists applicants with preparing grants in response to requests for proposals.
- The Resource Alliance builds the capacity of not-for-profit organisations to mobilise funds and local resources for their causes.
- Scherer, L., with Raaber, N. (2009). WITM’s compilation of Resource Mobilization tools. AWID’s Where is the money for women’s rights initiative has reviewed existing online resources and produced this document. (91K pdf)
- Urgent Action Fund, for women’s human rights. The organization provides grants that enable strategic interventions and participate in advocacy and research.
- Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC) has launched the yearly Human Rights Innovation Fellowship to support projects with the potential to affect systemic change in the field of human rights. The yearly fellowship includes a grant of up to $25,000.
- The Virtual Foundation provides space for community development organizations seeking funding to post project proposals on the website for potential donors to read.
Online Databases and “Virtual Libraries” of Current Development Research
- A good place to start: The IDS Knowledge Services guide to finding development information online, IDS (2008). (853K pdf)
- Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) strives for global change by working with scholars, practitioners and governments on the desired reforms to governance issues.
- The Development Gateway, World Bank.
- ELDIS, comprehensive database of information from IDS and other development agencies.
- Ford Foundation Library, reports of projects funded by Ford.
- Human Development Resource Network (HDRNet) is a specialized electronic library on human development and international co-operation.
- Impact Alliance Resource Centre contains capacity building related resources.
- International Co-operative Alliance (ICA) serves co-operatives worldwide by promoting the co-operative identity and ensuring its ability to compete in the marketplace.
- The Microfinance Gateway
- New Zealand Digital Library, development collections on agriculture, health, environment and social issues.
- OneWorld.net contains the latest news from organizations promoting human rights awareness and fighting poverty worldwide.
- World Bank e-Library, access ebooks, journal articles and working papers on international development.
- World Development Report, all World Development Reports since 1978.
- Rethinking Development Conference Papers, June 20-24, 2005, Antigonish.
- ELDIS Country Profiles
- Library of Congress Country Studies, description and analysis of most countries.
- UNDP Human Development Report, issues available: 1990-current.
- Alliance, issues available: 1998-current.
- Canadian Journal of Development Studies, (STFX only), issues available: 18(1997)-current.
- Commonwealth Youth and Development, (STFX only), issues available: 1(2003)-current.
- Community Development Journal, (STFX only), issues available: 1(1966)-current.
- Community Development: Journal of the Community Development Society, (STFX only), issues available: 28(1997)-current.
- Current Dialogue, issues available: 31(1997)-current.
- Development, (STFX only), issues available: 42(1999)-current (delayed one year).
- Development Dialogue, issues available: 2(1981)-current.
- Development in Practice, (STFX only), issues available: 1(1991)-current.
- Guardian Weekly
- IDS Bulletin, open access issues available: 1(1989)-current.
- IDS Bulletin, (STFX only), issues available: 27(1996)-46(2015).
- International Journal of the Commons, issues available: 1(2007)-current.
- Journal of Peasant Studies, (STFX only), issues available: 24:3(1997)-current.
- Media Development, issues available: 2006:1-current. (Latest issue available three months after publication date.)
- New Internationalist, issues available: 80(1979)-current.
- Participatory Learning and Action, formerly PLA/RRA Notes (IIED), issues available: 1(1988)-66(2013).
- Third World Resurgence, 179(2005)-current.
- World Development, issues available: 23:1(1995)-current.
- CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation
- Commonwealth of Learning (COL), encourages the development of open learning and distance education knowledge, resources and technologies.
- Directory of Development Organizations is a resource guide to development organizations and the internet.
- The NGO Café contains links to various NGO resources on the internet.
- Pambazuka News is a forum for social justice in Africa.
- PASCAL promotes the exchange of best practice research, ideas and policies about place management, social capital and learning regions.
- Third World Network is a network of organisations and individuals involved in issues relating to development, Third World and North-South affairs.
Organisations & Research Institutes
- BRIDGE supports gender advocacy and mainstreaming efforts by bridging the gaps between theory, policy and practice.
- CEDPA: Centre for Development and Population Activities works with women by giving them the tools they need to improve their lives, families and communities.
- Centre for Sustainable Community Development, Simon Fraser University.
- Global Development Institute, located at the University of Manchester, addresses global poverty and inequality.
- INTRAC (International NGO Training and Research Centre) designs training, consultancy and research services to organizations involved in international development.
- Oxford Poverty & Human Development Initiative (OPHI) is building an economic framework for reducing poverty grounded in people’s experiences and values.
- United Nations System of Organizations, official website locator for UN agencies.
- Young Lives: An International Study of Childhood Poverty tracks childhood poverty through the lives of children in Ethiopia, India, Peru and Vietnam over a 15-year period. Publications include working papers, technical notes, policy briefs and country reports.
- Behind the Brands is part of Oxfam’s GROW campaign and aims to provide people who consume the products of the world’s largest food and beverage companies with the information they need to hold these companies to account for what happens in their supply chains. The Behind the Brands Scorecard assesses the agricultural sourcing policies of the world’s ten largest food and beverage companies.
- de Brey, C., et al. (2011). 2011 Latin America and the Caribbean selected economic and social data. Washington, DC: USAID. (3.0 Mb pdf)
- Commitment to Development (CDI) Index rates rich countries on how much they help poor countries via aid, trade, investment, migration, environment, security and technology.
- Genuine Progress Index for Atlantic Canada.
- Arundel, C. & et al. (2009). How are Canadians really doing? A closer look at select groups. Institute of Wellbeing. (2.62 Mb pdf)
- The World Bank Open Data catalog provides free access to thousands of indicators from World Bank data sets.
Tools, Methods and Issues
- Arts for Global Development, resources on the use of visual and performance arts in development.
- BC Healthy Communities, toolkits and articles.
- Follow the money: A resource book for trainers on public expenditure tracking in Tanzania. (2.75 Mb pdf). Created by Hakikazi Catalyst, Research on Poverty Alleviation (REPOA) & Tanzania Gender Networking Programme (TGNP), (2008). With this toolkit local communities can track the inputs, outputs, and outcomes of particular government services, and determine the gender-specific distribution of benefits from those services.
- IFAD. (2009). Good practices in participatory mapping: A review prepared for the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). (1.83 Mb pdf)
- Measuring human development: A primer is a tool for those working on sub-national, national and regional Human Development Reports. Its guidelines and tools support the production of reports that support policy making and advocacy.
- Rethinking Canadian Aid, 2nd ed. edited by Stephen Brown, Molly den Heyer & David Black. University of Ottawa Press, 2016 (7 Mb pdf)
- The Story of Stuff, videos that inspire changemakers to build a more healthy and just planet.
- University of Kansas. (2011). Community tool box. A resource that promotes community health and development by providing essential skills for building healthy communities.
Internet and Communications Technologies (ICTs)
- Background paper on ICT-for-Development in Africa for the United Nations ICT Task Force, J. Okpaku, (2002). (447K pdf)
- Chapman, R. & Slaymaker, T. (2002). ICTs and rural development: Review of the literature, current interventions and opportunities for action. (ODI Working Paper 192). (262K pdf)
- ICTS for development, Eldis’ resource guide.
- ICTs for Development in Africa, Soul Beat, no. 69.
- Information and Communication Technologies for Development in Africa: Volume 2: The experience with community telecentres, edited by F. Etta and S. Parvyn-Wamahiu, (2003). Book is available for download.
- ItrainOnline provides computer and Internet training resources for development and social change.
Other Handy Websites
- Babel Fish Translation – translate blocks of text and webpages into various languages.
- DevelopmentArt, a website for copyright-free drawings, created by professional artists in Asia and Africa.
- Images of the social and economic world – world maps with social and economic aspects applied.
- Loband, access websites in text-only format.
- Maps and Geographic Information Resources, United Nations site containing a wide range of regional, country, thematic, and political maps.
- New York Public Library (NYPL) Digital Collections, free access to thousands of digital images.
- World Time Zones and calender information
- Xpeditions Atlas, National Geographic. Customize maps for printing and copying.