Facilitation and Training Approaches for Community-led Change
This program will be offered in 2022
Development practitioners, trainers, and educators in this course learn participatory design and facilitation approaches and techniques. You will improve your skills through hands-on, small group practice and strengthen your knowledge of principles and practices of transformative education. Collectively, you will create strategies for overcoming challenges in your own work.
- learn participatory design and facilitation techniques;
- strengthen knowledge of theories, principles, and practices of transformative, emancipatory adult education and participatory training;
- build skills to recognize and demonstrate different curriculum design theories and practices, with particular emphasis on participatory approaches; and
- learn creative strategies for analyzing issues and overcoming challenges experienced in facilitation and training in the field.
After completing the course, you will be able to:
- design and implement training and process facilitation within your community and organization; and
- develop strategies for inter-agency collaboration and relationship building in participatory education and training.
Who should take the Program?
This certificate course is designed for people who do a significant amount of facilitation in their work and want to explore new theories, principles, and practices in participatory adult education and training approaches.
The course will include a variety of participatory and experiential learning methods by which participants will share their experiences and deepen their learnings. These will include lecture presentations, small group discussions, role-plays and simulation exercises, video/written case studies, guest speakers, and skill-building exercises. Participants will benefit from visits to local field sites to engage practitioners and dialogue with stakeholders. All presentations and instructional materials will be in English.
The tuition fee for this course is $850. Coady Institute strives to ensure change leaders working in communities around the world have access to its courses. This is made possible through the provision of bursaries that are funded by many individual and institutional donors. Partial bursaries of up to $475 are available for qualifying candidates. Through Coady’s Circle of Abundance, a limited number of full bursaries are available to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit participants residing in Canada. Those receiving a bursary will be responsible for paying the balance of their tuition before the designated deadline.