Facilitation and Training Approaches for Community-led Change
July 6 – 17, 2020
Application deadline April 1, 2020
Development practitioners, trainers, and educators in this course learn participatory design and facilitation approaches and techniques. You will improve your skills through hands-on, small group practice and strengthen your knowledge of principles and practices of transformative education. Collectively, you will create strategies for overcoming challenges in your own work.
- learn participatory design and facilitation techniques;
- strengthen knowledge of theories, principles, and practices of transformative, emancipatory adult education and participatory training;
- build skills to recognize and demonstrate different curriculum design theories and practices, with particular emphasis on participatory approaches; and
- learn creative strategies for analyzing issues and overcoming challenges experienced in facilitation and training in the field.
After completing the course, you will be able to:
- design and implement training and process facilitation within your community and organization; and
- develop strategies for inter-agency collaboration and relationship building in participatory education and training.
Who should take the Program?
This certificate course is designed for people who do a significant amount of facilitation in their work and want to explore new theories, principles, and practices in participatory adult education and training approaches.
The course will include a variety of participatory and experiential learning methods by which participants will share their experiences and deepen their learnings. These will include lecture presentations, small group discussions, role-plays and simulation exercises, video/written case studies, guest speakers, and skill-building exercises. Participants will benefit from visits to local field sites to engage practitioners and dialogue with stakeholders. All presentations and instructional materials will be in English.
A mix of institutional and private donors who share Coady Institute’s vision of community-based, citizen-lead change subsidize the institute’s educational programs. As possible, Coady will provide qualifying candidates with a partial bursary to assist with course fees. However, all participants will be responsible for fees payable of at least $2,250 CAD, as well as travel and other costs. Fees are payable prior to the start of the selected course.