Facilitation and Training Approaches for Community-led Change
October 5 – October 16, 2020
Application deadline July 5, 2020
Development practitioners, trainers, and educators in this course learn participatory design and facilitation approaches and techniques. You will improve your skills through hands-on, small group practice and strengthen your knowledge of principles and practices of transformative education. Collectively, you will create strategies for overcoming challenges in your own work.
- learn participatory design and facilitation techniques;
- strengthen knowledge of theories, principles, and practices of transformative, emancipatory adult education and participatory training;
- build skills to recognize and demonstrate different curriculum design theories and practices, with particular emphasis on participatory approaches; and
- learn creative strategies for analyzing issues and overcoming challenges experienced in facilitation and training in the field.
After completing the course, you will be able to:
- design and implement training and process facilitation within your community and organization; and
- develop strategies for inter-agency collaboration and relationship building in participatory education and training.
Who should take the Program?
This certificate course is designed for people who do a significant amount of facilitation in their work and want to explore new theories, principles, and practices in participatory adult education and training approaches.
The course will include a variety of participatory and experiential learning methods by which participants will share their experiences and deepen their learnings. These will include lecture presentations, small group discussions, role-plays and simulation exercises, video/written case studies, guest speakers, and skill-building exercises. Participants will benefit from visits to local field sites to engage practitioners and dialogue with stakeholders. All presentations and instructional materials will be in English.
A mix of institutional and private donors who share Coady Institute’s vision of community-based, citizen-lead change subsidize the institute’s educational programs. As possible, Coady will provide qualifying candidates with a partial bursary to assist with course fees. However, all participants will be responsible for fees payable of at least $2,300 CAD, as well as travel and other costs. Fees are payable prior to the start of the selected course.