Introduction to Social Enterprise
Introduction to Social Enterprise
March 7 – April 22, 2022
Applications for this program have closed.
Benefits and Learning Objectives
This course will help you:
- understand the context under which social enterprises are emerging as well as the overall landscape of actors involved;
- develop an understanding of the different stages of social enterprise evolution and pathways to scaling;
- become familiar with aspects of social enterprise design, resource mobilization strategies as well as developing monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) systems; and
- connect to and network with like-minded individuals from various organizations around the world who are trying to think outside the box.
This course will help your organization:
- develop a more nuanced understanding of what social enterprises are all about, the benefits as well as the challenges and pitfalls;
- develop staff capacity to better understand the necessary pre-conditions for social enterprise development as well as possible transition pathways; and
- receive an in-depth introduction to successful and emerging social enterprise models from across the world.
You should prepare to dedicate six to eight hours per week over the course of seven weeks.
This course will use blended model of delivery which includes a combination of seven weekly live sessions, asynchronous learning activities, and independent work time. Participants are expected to engage with their peers in the online space to complete course assignments.
- Reliable internet access (high speed is recommended)
- Speakers and microphone
Who should take this course?
This course is ideal for development leaders and change makers who are grappling with questions of how to balance the social mission with the issue of sustainability of their organizations and are seeking creative solutions.
The tuition fee for this course is $850. Coady Institute strives to ensure change leaders working in communities around the world have access to its courses. This is made possible through the provision of bursaries that are funded by many individual and institutional donors. Partial bursaries of up to $475 are available for qualifying candidates. Through Coady’s Circle of Abundance, a limited number of full bursaries are available to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit participants residing in Canada. Applicants will be able to express their interest in obtaining a bursary during the application process. Those receiving a bursary will be responsible for paying the balance of their tuition before the designated deadline.
Full bursaries are available from the Centre for Employment Innovation (CEI) for eligible applicants from Nova Scotia. This includes applicants working for a program or agency engaged in employment services delivery, or engaged in social innovation activities to alleviate poverty, strengthen livelihoods, and create more equitable employment and entrepreneurial opportunities with and for systemically oppressed groups. For more information, visit the CEI Bursary Program page.
Please note that Coady Institute does not accept third party applications. Individuals need to submit their application via Coady’s website and should use caution when approached by those offering services to complete the application and admissions process.