Books & Journal Articles
- Fuchs, L. E., Peters, B., & Neufeldt, H. (2019). Identities, interests and preferences matter: Fostering sustainable community development by building assets and agency in western Kenya. Sustainable Development, 27(4), 704-712. doi:10.1002/sd.1934 (StFX access)
- Mathie, A., Cameron, J., & Gibson, K. (2017). Asset-based and citizen-led development: Using a diffracted power lens to analyze the possibilities and challenges. Progress in Development Studies, 17(1), 54-66. https://doi.org/10.1177/1464993416674302 (StFX access)
- Mathie, A., & Gaventa, J. (2015). Citizen-led innovation for a new economy. Fernwood Books & Practical Action. Public access link. Purchase information.
- Mathie, A., & Peters, B. (2014). Joint (ad)ventures and (in)credible journeys evaluating innovation: Asset-based community development in Ethiopia. Development in Practice, 24(3), 405-419. https://doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2014.899560 Public access link.
- Mathie, A., & Cunningham, G. (Eds.). (2008). From clients to citizens: Communities changing the course of their own development. Practical Action. (StFX only) (Marie Michael Library: 307.112 M426f) Purchase Information.
- Mathie, A., & Cunningham, G. (2003). From clients to citizens: Asset-based community development as a strategy For community-driven development. Development in Practice, 13(5), 474-486. https://doi-org.libproxy.stfx.ca/10.1080/0961452032000125857 Public access link.
- If change should come, we should bring it: Stories of citizen-led development in Haiti. (2013). Coady Institute & Le Centre Haïtien du Leadership et de l’Excellence. (3.2 Mb pdf)
- Case studies of successful asset-based and citizen-led development
- Peters, B. (2014). Investing in community-driven development: The case of the Woodford library. Coady Institute. (1.96 Mb pdf)
- Peters, B. (2013). Learning together to promote citizen-led development. Published by the Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada (AUCC) and the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) as one of the cases featured in the series: Innovative North-South Partnerships. (213K pdf)
- Putting smallholder producers at the center of the value chain: Videos of value chain practices in Ethiopia. An ABCD partnership with Coady and Oxfam.
- Stories of ABCD, a collection of case studies documenting ABCD practice.
- Mahomed, H., & Peters, B. (2010). The story behind the well: A case study of successful community development in Makutano, Kenya. The study was a collaborative effort by the Global Fund for Community Foundations and Coady Institute. (1.9 Mb pdf)
- Eliasov, N., & Peters, B. (2013). Voices in harmony: Stories of community-driven development in South Africa. Coady Institute. (5 Mb pdf)
- Cunningham, G. (2005). The Jambi Kiwa story: Mobilizing assets for community development. Coady Institute. (9.5 Mb pdf); Spanish (4 Mb pdf)
- Citizen-Led Innovation for a New Economy, hosted by StFX’s Extension Department and Coady International Institute in June 2013.
- From Clients to Citizens: Deepening the Practice of Asset-Based and Citizen-Led Development, hosted by Coady and co-sponsored by the Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD) Institute at Northwestern University, USA, July 2009.
- Asset-Based Community Development: Success stories from Egyptian communities (751K pdf)
- SEWA Jeevika: An Asset-Based Approach to Community Development: A manual for village organizers (3.4 Mb pdf)
- SEWA Jeevika: Participatory Monitoring and Evaluation: A manual for village organizers (3.4 Mb pdf)
Multimedia Learning Resources
- ABCD Google Map: Building Assets and Agency: Lessons learned from around the world, Brianne Peters, January 2019.
- By their own hands: St. Andrews, 22 minute video.
- Digital Leaky Bucket
- Exploring an asset-based and citizen-led approach to enhancing the adaptive capacity of farmers to climate change (partner website)
Occasional Papers and Innovation Series
- Cunningham, G., Fuchs, L. E., Atieno Apondi, V., Kipkorir, Cosmas, L., & Owiti, L. A. O. (2018). The integrated household leaky bucket: Building financial and economic literacy by doing: A simple guide to help smallholder farmers separate their farm and household revenues and expenses (Innovation series no. 14). Coady Institute. (702K pdf)
- Landry, J., & Peters, B. (2018). Assets on the right(s) track? Reflections at the intersection of human rights-based approaches and asset-based and citizen-led development (Innovation series no. 19). Coady Institute. (1.92 Mb pdf)
- Martin, M., Peters, B., & Corbett, J. (2012). Participatory asset mapping in the Lake Victoria Basin of Kenya. URISA: Journal of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association, 24(2), 45-55. (4.34 Mb pdf)
- Cunnginham, G. (2011). Community economic literacy and the ‘Leaky Bucket’ (Occasional paper no. 9). Coady Institute. (2 Mb pdf)
- Peters, B., Gonsamo, M., & Molla, S. (2011). Capturing unpredictable and intangible change: Evaluating an asset-based community development (ABCD) approach in Ethiopia (Occasional paper no. 10). Coady Institute. (9 Mb pdf)
- Cunningham, G., & Fiander, K. (2009). By their own hands: 200 years of building community in St. Andrews, Nova Scotia (Occasional paper no. 7). Coady Institute. (504K pdf)
- Mathie, A., & Cunningham, G. (2005). Who is driving development? Reflections on the transformative potential of asset-based community development (Occasional paper no. 5). Coady Institute. (503K pdf) (Also appears in Canadian Journal of Development Studies, 26 (1), 175-187).
- Mathie, A., & Cunningham, G. (2002). From clients to citizens: Asset-based community development as a strategy for community-driven development (Occasional paper no. 4). (576K pdf). Published in Development in Practice, 13(5), 2003.
- Peters, B. (Ed.). (2013). Applying an asset-based community-driven development approach in Ethiopia, 2003-2011: Final internal evaluation report. Coady Institute. (14 Mb pdf)
- Hodgson, J., Knight, B., & Mathie, A. (2012). The new generation of community foundations. Global Fund for Community Foundations & Coady institute. (468 K pdf)
- Mathie, A., & Puntenney, D. (Eds.). (2009). From clients to citizens: Deepening the practice of asset-based and citizen-led development: conversations from the ABCD forum, July 8-10, 2009. Coady Institute. (1.2 Mb pdf). To see film clips of the presentations, go to the conference website.
- Peters, B., Gonsamo, M., Molla, S., & Mathie, A. (2009). Applying an asset-based community development (ABCD) approach in Ethiopia: Mid-term evaluation report summary. Coady Institute & Oxfam Canada. (4.6 Mb pdf)