Books & Journal Articles
- Mathie, A. & Peters, B. (2014). Joint (ad)ventures and (in)credible journeys evaluating innovation: asset-based community development in Ethiopia. Development in Practice, 24(3), 405-419. StFX access link. public access link.
- Mathie, A. & Cunningham, G. (Eds.). (2008). From clients to citizens: Communities changing the course of their own development. Rugby, UK: Practical Action. (Marie Michael Library: 307.112 M426f), Purchase Information
- Mathie, A. & Cunningham, G. (2003). From clients to citizens: Asset-based community development as a strategy For community-driven development. Development in Practice 13(5). St.FX access link.
- Case studies of successful asset-based and citizen-led development
- Learning together to promote citizen-led development, by Brianne Peters. Published by the Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada (AUCC) and the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) as one of the cases featured in the series: Innovative North-South Partnerships.
- Stories of ABCD
- Voices in Harmony: Stories of community-driven development in South Africa, by Ninnette Eliasov and Brianne Peters, 2013. (5 Mb pdf)
Multimedia Learning Resources
- By Their Own Hands: St. Andrews, 22 minute video.
- Participatory asset mapping in the Lake Victoria Basin of Kenya. by Michael Martin, Brianne Peters & Jon Corbett. In URISA: Journal of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association, 24(2), 45-55.
- Capturing Unpredictable and Intangible Change: Evaluating an Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD) Approach in Ethiopia, Brianne Peters, Mengistu Gonsamo and Samuel Molla, 2011. Occasional Paper #10. (9 Mb pdf)
- Community Economic Literacy and the ‘Leaky Bucket’, Gord Cunningham, 2011. Occasional Paper #9. (2 Mb pdf)
- By Their Own Hands: 200 Years of Building Community in St. Andrews, Nova Scotia, Gord Cunningham & Kate Fiander, 2009. Occasional Paper #7. (504K pdf)
- Who is driving development? Reflections on the Transformative Potential of Asset-Based Community Development, Alison Mathie & Gord Cunningham, 2005. Occasional Paper #5. (503K pdf)
(also appears in Canadian Journal of Development Studies, 26 (1), 175-187).
- From Clients to Citizens: Asset-Based Community Development as a Strategy For Community-Driven Development
Alison Mathie & Gord Cunningham, 2002. Occasional Paper #4. (576K pdf). Published in Development in Practice 13(5), 2003.
Research Reports: This section contains comprehensive studies and reports of Coady projects and convenings.
- Applying an Asset-Based Community-Driven Development Approach in Ethiopia, 2003-2011: Final internal evaluation report, by Brianne Peters, 2013 (14 Mb pdf).
- From Clients to Citizens: Deepening the Practice of Asset-Based and Citizen-Led Development, Conversations from the ABCD Forum, July 8-10, 2009.
Alison Mathie, PhD, & Deborah Puntenney, (Eds.), 2009. (1.2 Mb pdf). To see film clips of the presentations, go to the conference website.
- The New Generation of Community Foundations, by Jenny Hodgson, Barry Knight and Alison Mathie.(468 K pdf).
- Applying an Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD) Approach in Ethiopia
Brianne Peters, Mengistu Gonsamo, Samuel Molla & Alison Mathie, October 2009. (4.6 Mb pdf)