Marie Michael Library
Climate Basics For Community Resilience
Online course, January 18 – March 7, 2021
- Coady, M. M. (1939). Masters of their own destiny: The story of the Antigonish Movement of adult education through economic cooperation. Harper & Row. (457K pdf)
- MacKenzie, K. M. (2019). In celebration of 90 years of service: Some history of the St. F.X. Extension Department, 1928-2018. The Beacon, 9(2). (678K pdf)
Week 1: Complex Systems
- Kerner, D. A., & Thomas, J. S. (2014). Resilience attributes of social-ecological systems: Framing metrics for management. Resources, 3(4), 672-702. https://doi.org/10.3390/resources3040672
- Resilience Alliance. (n.d.). Adaptive cycle.
- Waterloo Complexity Institute. (2018). Paul Thagard – What is a complex system? [Video]. Vimeo.com (1:46 min.)
- Waterloo Complexity Institute. (2018). Peter Deadman [Video]. Vimeo.com. (1:59 min.)
- Waterloo Complexity Institute. (2018). Vanessa Schweizer – What is a complex system? [Video]. Vimeo.com. (1:23 min.)
Week 2: Weather and Climate
- Gifford, R. (2011). The dragons of inaction: Psychological barriers that limit climate change mitigation and adaptation. American Psychologist, 66(4), 290-302. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0023566
- Gifford, R. (2015). The road to climate hell. New Scientist, 227(3029), 28-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0262-4079(15)30744-2 (702K pdf)
- Gutro, R. (2005, February 1). NASA – What’s the difference between weather and climate? NASA.
- NOAA Climate.gov. (n.d.). How do weather observations become climate data?
Week 3: Governance of Climate Change
- UN Climate Change. (2021). Party groupings. United Nations.
- UN Climate Change. (2021). Statements made during the Leaders Event at the Paris Climate Change Conference – COP 21 / CMP 11. United Nations.
- UN Climate Change. (2021). What is the Paris Agreement? United Nations.
- UN Sustainable Development Goals. (n.d.). Paris Climate Agreement signing ceremony: Country statements and live coverage. United Nations.
Week 4: Climate Impacts and Mitigation
- IPCC. (2014). Climate change 2014: Synthesis report: contribution of working groups I, II and III to the fifth assessment report of the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- IPCC. (2014). Climate change 2014: Synthesis report: summary for policymakers. (3.2 Mb pdf)
- Larsen, K., et al. (2020). Climate change strategies 2020. Witan Media.
Week 5: Risk Assessment and Adaptation
- Elvladyman. (2019, May 24). Before the Flood full movie National Geographic [Video]. Youtube. (95 mins.)
- ICLEI. (2010). Changing climate, changing communities: Workbook for municipal climate adaption. (628K pdf)
- Oppenheimer, M., Campos, M., Warren, R., Birkmann, J., Luber, G., O’Neill, B., & Takahashi, K. (2014). Emergent risks and key vulnerabilities. In Climate change 2014: Impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability: Part A: global and sectoral aspects (pp. 1039-1099). Contribution of Working Group II to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press. (2.4 Mb pdf)
Week 6: Integrating Climate into Development Projects
- IIED. (2009). Community-based adaptation to climate change [PLA Notes no. 60].
Week 7: Reflections on Learning
- Hulme, M. (2015). Climate and its changes: A cultural appraisal. Geo: Geography and Environment, 2(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/geo2.5 (Open access)