Marie Michael Library
Associations and Societies
- Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
- Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS)
- Center for Development Communication (CDC)
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Plain Language Association International (PLAIN)
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
- Blogger, start your own blog.
- Internet & Media Strategies, strategies for social media, email newsletter.
- WordPress Blog, start your own blog.
- WordPress TV, tutorial videos to set up a blog on WordPress.
- Changemakers, competitions.
- Funds for NGOs, funding ideas and sources.
- IndieGoGo, crowd sourcing.
- Kick Starter, crowd sourcing.
- AdSense, Google ads to include on your blog or website.
- Google Docs, upload and share documents and presentations.
- Google Drive
- Google Groups, setup groups and lists.
- Google Maps, create maps for your website and blogs; Google places register.
- Google Search, search websites, news, blogs, photos.
- Google Sites, create and share webpages.
- YouTube, upload your videos to share online, setup a channel, view videos.
- Constant Contact, email newsletters and events.
- DropBox, online storage, file sharing.
- Ezine Articles, publish your articles online.
- Flickr, upload and share photos.
- Skype, face to face communications, VOIP.
- Webinars, online conference.
Internet and Communication Technologies (ICTs)
- Chapman, R. & Slaymaker, T. (2002). ICTs and rural development: Review of the literature, current interventions and opportunities for action. (Overseas Development Institute Working Paper 192). (238K pdf)
- ICTs for development, Eldis’ resource guide.
- ICT for Development Network
- ItrainOnline provides a selection of computer and Internet training resources for development and social change.
- Panos. (2008). Better connected: Empowering people through communications technology. (Panos media toolkit on communicating research, no. 5).
- Peace Corps. (2003). Information and Communication Technologies (ICT): Integrating digital tools into your projects. Washington, DC: Peace Corps. (786K pdf)
- Christensen, C. (2008). Uploading dissonance: YouTube and the US occupation of Iraq. Media, War & Conflict, 1(2), 155-175. (StFX only)
- Hovland, I. (2005). Successful communication: A toolkit for researchers and civil society organisations. London: Research and Policy in Development.
- Inagaki, N. (2007). Communicating the impact of communication for development: Recent trends in empirical research. (World Bank working paper no. 120). (713K pdf)
- Lunch, N. & Lunch, C. (2006). Insights into participatory video: A handbook for the field (1st ed.). Oxford, UK: InsightShare. (7.62 Mb pdf)
- Nielsen, J. (1997, October 1). How users read on the web.
- Nielsen, J. (1998, January 6). Applying writing guidelines to web pages.
- Palibroda, B., et al. (2009). A practical guide to photovoice: Sharing pictures, telling stories and changing communities. Winnipeg, MN: The Prairie Women’s Health Centre of Excellence. (1.47 Mb pdf)
- Panos London. (2006). Working with the media: A guide for researchers. London: Panos London. (243K pdf)
- A Plain English Handbook, Office of Investor Education and Assistance, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, (1998). (1.06 Mb pdf)
- Strunk, W. (1999). The elements of style. New York: Bartleby.com.
- Video for change: A guide for advocacy and activism, edited by S. Gregory, [et al.]. (2005). This book provides tips, case studies and exercises on a range of issues involved in using video for advocacy.
- All About Public Relations contains resources including publications, articles, toolboxes and glossary.
- Communication Initiative Network, communications and media for social and economic development.
- Constitute! Forum on Women’s Activism, a multimedia educational resource on citizen engagement and women’s constitutional activism.
- Fifty Crows is a site that features the use of photo essays to highlight social issues.
- Free Management Library for For-Profit and Nonprofit Organizations, virtual library for a wealth of subjects.
- Global Voices portal contains videos, photos, and podcasts.
- Mapping Memories is a media project which uses personal stories and media tools to better understand the experiences of youth with refugee experience in Montreal, QC.
- Media Toolbox, a toolbox of resources on the do’s and dont’s of working with the media.
- Media Trust is a communications charity.
- One Laptop per Child (OLPC) strives to provide children with new opportunities to explore, experiment and express themselves.
- OneLook Thesaurus Reverse Dictionary lets you describe a concept and retrieve a list of words and phrases related to that concept.
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant
- Photovoice creates a method using photography to engage communities in research.
- Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab offers online handouts covering writing, research, grammar, and MLA and APA style.
- UNICEF – Rwanda, Rwandan and Liberian youths capture images of their lives at ‘Eye See III’ workshop.
- Witness: See it. Film it. Change it: empowering people to transform personal stories of abuse into tools for justice, public engagement and policy change.