Marie Michael Library
Learning Organizations and Change
- Britton, B. (2002). Learning for change: Principles and practices of learning organisations. Sundbyberg: Swedish Mission Council. (288K pdf)
- Taylor, A. & Liadsky, B. (2018, May 28). Learning about learning organizations [Blog post].
- Ludema, J. D., Cooperrider, D. L., & Barrett, F. J. (2001). Appreciative inquiry: The power of the unconditional question.
- Aalto University. (2014). Peter Senge: “Systems thinking for a better world”: Aalto systems forum 2014 [Video file]. (60:14 min.)
- Adichie, C. N. (2009). The danger of a single story [Video file]. (18:43 min.)
- Brant, S. (2010). If Russ Ackoff have given a TED talk… [Video file]. (12:18 min.)
- Cabrera Research Lab. (2015). New systems thinking: A little film about a big idea [Video file]. (11:55 min.)
- CBC Arts. (2016). Gord Downie’s The secret path [Video file]. (2 hr., 8 min.)
- Haynes, P. (2010). Russell Ackoff: Studio 1 network [Video file]. (9:48 min.)
- Seeing into Being. (2016). The science of seeing into being English [Video file]. (8:15 min.)
- StFX. (2016). 2016 Senator Murray Sinclair: A conversation on reconciliation [Video file]. (111 min.)
- Sustainable Human. (2014). How wolves change rivers [Video file]. (4:33 min.)
- TED2010. (2010). Esther Duflo: Social experiments to fight poverty [Video file]. (16:41 min.)
- Veldpape, M. (2008). Everybody is an A student: Benjamin Zander [Video file]. (2:24 min.)
Links to Additional Resources
- Bruma, T. (2010). The fifth discipline handout [Powerpoint presentation].
- Rae, A. (2011). Mental models: Lessons from the Fifth Discipline Fieldbook by Senge, Kleiker, Roberts, Ross and Smith [Powerpoint presentation].
- Truth and Reconciliation of Canada. (2012). Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to action. Winnipeg, MB: TRC. (299K pdf)
- United Nations. (n.d.). Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and optional protocol. (448K pdf)
- UN Women. (n.d.). Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women.
- Bolger, J. (2000). Capacity development. Occasional series, 1(1). [n.l.]: CIDA. (1.06 Mb pdf)
- Bushe, G. R. (1998). Five theories of change embedded in appreciative inquiry. (585K pdf)
- CBM. (2012). Inclusion made easy: A quick program guide to disability in development. [Australia]: CBM International. (5.06 Mb pdf)
- Ermine, W. (2007). The ethical space of engagement. Indigenous Law Journal, 6(1), 193-203.
- Hailey, J. & James, R. (2002). Learning leaders: The key to learning organisations. Development in Practice, 12(3-4), 398-408. (STFX only)
- Oswald, K. & Taylor, P. (2010). A learning approach to monitoring and evaluation. IDS Bulletin, 41(6), 114-120.
- Padaki, V. (2002). Making the organisation learn: Demystification and management action. Development in Practice, 12(3-4), 321-337. (STFX only).
- Preskill, H., Gutierrez, E., & Mack, K. (2017). Facilitating intentional group learning: A practical guide to 21 learning activities. [n.l.]: FSG.
- Roper, L. & Pettit, J. (2002). Development and the learning organisation: An introduction. Development in Practice, 12(3-4), 258-271. (STFX only).
Readings from Previous Years
- Barefoot Guides combine stories, analyses, approaches and resources under a key theme. Each Guide has a simple format and is a practical, do-it-yourself guide.
- Berkes, F. (2009). Evolution of co-management: Role of knowledge generation, bridging organizations and social learning. Journal of Environmental Management, 90(5), 1692-1702. (STFX only)
- Davenport, T. H. & Prusak, L. (2000). Working knowledge: How organizations manage what they know.
- FemNorthNet & DAWN-RAFH. (2014). Diversity through inclusive practice: A toolkit for creating inclusive processes, spaces & events. Ottawa, ON: FemNorthNet Project. (30.2 Mb pdf)
- Hiemstra, W., Brouwer, J. H., & Vugt, S. M. van. (2012). Power dynamics in multistakeholder processes: A balancing act.
- Randle, A. & Anderson, H. (2017). Building collaborative places: Infrastructure for system change. London: Collaborate. (3.40 Mb pdf)
- Symington, A. (2004). Intersectionality: A tool for gender and economic justice (AWID facts & issues, no. 9). Toronto, ON: AWID. (248K pdf)
- Ury, W. (2003). Third siders.
- Vincent, R. & Byrne, A. (2006). Enhancing learning in development partnerships. Development in Practice, 16(5), 385-399. (StFX only)
- Wheatley, M. & Frieze, D. (2010). Leadership in the age of complexity: From hero to host. (81K pdf)
- Wilson-Grau, R. & Nunez, M. (2007). Evaluating international social-change networks: A conceptual framework for a participatory approach. Development in Practice, 17(2), 258-271. (StFX only)
- Wyatt, M. (2004). A handbook of NGO governance. (1.35 Mb pdf)
- 12Manage: Rigor and Relevance, management methods, models and organizational theory. Translation into twelve languages.
- Free Management Library for For-Profit and Nonprofit Organizations, virtual library for a wealth of subjects.
- HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector is a forum for dialogue and action on labour force and workplace issues in the non-profit sector.
- IISD (International Institute for Sustainable Development), weekly journal review, biweekly review, journals on environment and sustainability in developing countries.
- INTRAC (International NGO Training and Research Centre)
- The NGO Café contains resources for managing an NGO.
- Powercube.net is a resource for understanding power relations in efforts to bring about social change. This site contains materials to assist in responding to power relations within organizations and in larger spaces.
- Reflect and Learn, organizational learning by increasing access to self-reflection tools.