Marie Michael Library
Making Urban Economies Inclusive
Introduction to Inclusive Urban Economies
- Greene, S., Pendall, R., Scott, M., & Lei, S. (2016). Open cities: From economic exclusion to urban inclusion. Washington, DC: Urban Institute.
- Meiers, R. (2015, September 22). Business and the sustainable development goals: What to expect and how to lead [Blog post].
- United Nations. (2016). The world’s cities in 2016: Data booklet. New York: United Nations. (26.83 Mb pdf)
- United Nations. (2018). World Urbanization Prospects 2018. Presents findings consistent with the size of the total population of each country as estimated or projected in the 2017 Revision of World Population Prospects.
Informal versus Formal Economy: Scope and Issues
- Chen, M. A. (2012). The informal economy: Definitions, theories and policies. (WIEGO working paper no. 1). Cambridge, MA: WIEGO Secretariat.
- Garcia-Bolivar, O. E. (2006). Informal economy: Is it a problem, a solution or both? The perspective of the informal business. (Working paper 1065). Bepress legal series.
- Gausi, T., et al. (Eds.). (2016). Recommendation 204: Ending informality. Brussels: Equal Times, News at Work. (5.43 Mb pdf)
- Rag-pickers to get health benefits under Arogyasri. (2012, January 27). [Blog post].
- Vanek, J., et al. (2014). Statistics on the informal economy: Definitions, regional estimates & challenges. (WIEGO working paper no. 2). Cambridge, MA: WIEGO Secretariat.
- Wiegoglobal. (2016). Organizing for change: Workers in the informal economy. [Video file] (5:16 min.)
Organizing the Informal: Women’s Own Institutions
- Gender at Work. (2017). Gender at Work framework.
- International Union of Sex Workers (IUSW) campaigns for the rights of those who work in the sex industry.
- Sewa Bank assists poor women workers engaged in the unorganized sector and provides them with financial services for socio-economic empowerment through their own management and ownership.
- Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform. (n.d.). Sustainable development goals.
- Tilly, C., et al. (2013). Final report: Informal worker organizing as a strategy for improving subcontracted work in the textile and apparel industries of Brazil, South Africa, India, and China. Los Angeles, CA: Institute of Research on Labor and Employment. (3.0 Mb pdf)
- Biel, R. (2016). Sustainable food systems: The role of the city. London: UCL Press. Book is available as a free download.
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. (n.d.). Summary of the Paris Agreement. In Climate: Get the big picture, an interactive guide.
- Vidal, J. (2011, April 10). Bolivia enshrines natural world’s rights with equal status for Mother Earth. [Blog post].
- YouLead project, based in Nigeria, provides youth with skills and training, inspiring them to become involved in environmentally sustainable employment in the natural resource sectors.
- Zenghelis, D. & Stern, N. (2015, November 19). Climate change and cities: A prime source of problems, yet key to a solution [Blog post].
Slums and Housing: Problems and Solutions
- Asian Coalition for Housing Rights. (2012). Citywide upgrading is possible. Bangkok: ACHR. (1.39 Mb pdf)
- Fahmi, F. Z. (2014, July 8). Promoting the creative economy. The Jakarta Post.
- Jarmiko, P. (2014). Calling the circle [Video file]. (6:00 min.)
- Magalhaes, F. (Ed.). (2016). Slum upgrading and housing in Latin America. Washington, DC: Inter-American Development Bank.
- Rooftops Canada provides leadership and assistance in low-cost housing and human settlements development around the world.
- UncommonMediaUK. (2012). The way to end slums [Video file]. (21:06 min.)
Access to Financial Services for Economic Inclusion
- Arul Nandhi, M. (2011). The urban poor and their money: A study of cycle rickshaw pullers in Delhi. (713K pdf). This document is a shortened version of the study submitted to the Institute for Money, Technology and Financial Inclusion, University of California, Irvine, CA.
- Bashar, T. & Rashid, S. (2012). Urban microfinance and urban poverty in Bangladesh. Journal of Asia Pacific Economy, 17(1), 151-170. (StFX only)
- Bossone, B. & Sarr, A. (2016, February 18). Leveraging urbanization to fund sustainable development and financial inclusion [Blog post].
- Gwinner, W. B., et al. (2006). From financial exclusion to inclusion: Increasing the availability of credit to the urban poor in Latin America. En breve, no. 98. (560K pdf)
- Mitlin, D. (2008). Urban poor funds: Development by the people for the people. (Working paper 18). London: IIED.
- TheResearchTV. (2013). “Run-away” susu money collectors in Ghana [Video file]. (9:32 min.)
Persons living with Disabilities, and Thriving vs. Dying Cities
- Equity & inclusion lens handbook. (2015). (2nd ed.). Ottawa, ON: City for All Women Initiative (CAWI).
- TEDx Talks. (2016). Why is it time to make inclusive development inclusive: Charlotte McClain-Nhlapo: TEDxFoggyBottom [Video file]. (11:16 min.)
- UNDP. (2015, July 3). Tajikistan: Changing how we report on people with disabilities [Blog post].
Urban Markets, Value Chains and Employment: Analysis Frameworks
- Alter, K. (2007). Social enterprise typology. (1.87 Mb pdf)
- The High-Level Panel on Women’s Economic Empowerment, established by the United Nations in 2016, has united leaders to launch a shared agenda that accelerates women’s economic empowerment in support of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- TNM Staff. (2015, July 31). These 12 social enterprise ideas could change India [Blog post].
- Werna, E. (n.d.). A multi-sectoral approach to decent work in the urban economy. [n.l.]: ILO. (39K pdf)
New ‘Shared Economy’ Models: Is Technology Creating Innovations?
- Johal, S. & Zon, N. (2015). Policymaking for the sharing economy: Beyond Whack-A-Mole (Research no. 106). Toronto: Mowat Centre. (32.14 Mb pdf)
Economic Policies: Creating Exclusion or Inclusion?
- Fayman, S., Walsh, K., Pascual, J., & Horelli, L. (2011). Good policies and practices to tackle urban challenges. Paris: European Commission. (11.48 Mb pdf)
- Habitat III, the United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development.
- OECD. (2014). Better policies for development 2014: Policy coherence and illicit financial flows. Paris: OECD. (3.97 Mb pdf)
- WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities. (2016). 4 questions on planning inclusive cities and urban migrants in Asia with Annette Kim [Video file]. (1:52 min.)
- Biggs, S., Goldtooth, T. B. K., & Lake, O. O. (2017). Rights of nature & Mother Earth: Rights-based law for systemic change. Oakland, CA: Movement Rights. (8.45 Mb pdf)
- Social Capital Partners drives large-scale change through action-based learning, entrepreneurial experience, and collaboration.
- Urban Health Resource Centre addresses health, nutrition and wellbeing of disadvantaged urban populations.