Marie Michael Library
Promoting Accountable Democracies
Concept of Democracy
- Bush, S. (2017, November 7). Should we trust democracy ratings? New research finds hidden biases [Blog post].
- Economist Intelligence Unit. (2016). Democracy index.
- Freedom House. (2016). Freedom on the net 2016. Washington, DC: Freedom House.
- Freedom House. (2018). Freedom in the world 2018. Washington, DC: Freedom House. (3.61 Mb pdf)
- Freedom House. (2017). Freedom of the press 2017. Washington, DC: Freedom House.
- Gaventa, J. & Benequista, N. (2009). Reversing the flow: A new democratic conversation? Alliance, 14(2), 56-58. (103K pdf)
- IDEA. (2017). The global state of democracy indices.
- International IDEA. (2014). How democratic is your country? [Video file]. (10:45 min.)
- Rocha Menocal, A. (2013). Ten things to know about democracy and elections. London: Overseas Development Institute.
- Van Reybrouck, D. (2016, June 29). Why elections are bad for democracy.
- De Waal, A. (2016, May 17). Designer activism and post-democracy [Blog post].
Good Governance, Active Citizenship and Gendered Context Analysis
- Building inclusive citizenship and democracies. (2007). (id21 Focus). Brighton: IDS.
- International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance. (2011). Customary governance and democracy building: Exploring the linkages: conference report. Stockholm: International IDEA. (1.20 Mb pdf)
- Tippett, K. (2017, September 14). Junot Diaz: Radical hope is our best weapon [Audio podcast].
- UNDP. (2016). Engaged societies, responsive states: The social contract in situations of conflict and fragility. (Concept note). New York, NY: UNDP.
- Youth Ministry Health Games. (n.d.). Home [YouTube Channel].
Leveraging Active Citizenship and Identifying Entry Points for Change
- Civicus Monitor, tracks civic space worldwide.
- Batliwala, S. & Pittman, A. (2010). Capturing change in women’s realities: A critical overview of current monitoring & evaluation frameworks and approaches. Toronto: AWID.
- State of civil society report 2018: Year in review: top ten trends. New York: Civicus. (1.99 Mb pdf)
- Transparency International. (2018). Corruptions perceptions index 2017.
Towards Accountable Democracies: Exploring Pathways and Practices
- Budlender, D. (2013). Informal workers and collective bargaining: Five case studies (WIEGO organizing brief no. 9). (1.85 Mb pdf)
- Chapagain, B. (2018). Enhancing people’s participation in local radio in Nepal.
- Emiljanowicz, P. (2017, July 3). We were desperate!: The Ghanaian Women’s Manifesto Movement, 2004.
- Feruglio, F. (2017). Do more empowered citizens make more accountable states? Power and legitimacy in legal empowerment initiatives in Kenya and South Africa. (Research report). Brighton: IDS. (1.52 Mb pdf)
- Fox, M. (2009). Beyond elections documentary part 16 (Democratizing democracy II). [Video file]. (9:59 min.)
- Fox, M. (2009). Beyond elections documentary part 2 (Participatory budgeting I). [Video file]. (8:38 min.)
- Ghaly, H. (2017, January 28). El-kfoor village community committees (El-Minia, Upper Egypt).
- The Hunger Project. (2014). 2014 State of participatory democracy report. New York: The Hunger Project. (6.86 Mb pdf)
- Leighninger, M. (2016). Transforming governance: How can technology help reshape democracy? (Research briefing). Brighton: IDS. (1.79 Mb pdf)
- Mahmud, S. (n.d.). The fabric of accountability in Bangladesh’s garment industry. (Citizenship DRC case study series, no. 2). Brighton: IDS. (255K pdf)
- Maigari, B. S. (2018). Citizen observers: Social accountability in Nigeria’s judicial sector.
- Meyer, D. (2013, May 26). Hadera Democratic School (Israel).
- Moses, M. (2016, May 3). Black Sash & Making all Voices Count community-based monitoring project.
- Newell, P., Jaitli, H., & Sampath Kumar, R. D. (n.d.). Keeping the corporation honest in Visakhapatnam, India. (Citizenship DRC case study series, no. 4). Brighton: IDS. (258K pdf)
- Nyamu Musembi, C. (n.d.). Outrage and social organising in Kenya’s tenements. (Citizenship DRC case study series, no. 3). Brighton: IDS. (255K pdf)
- Ochieng, P. (2018). Persons with Cerebral Palsy self-mobilising for meaningful participation in Uganda.
- Omolo, A. (2017, June 13). Raising voices of the marginalized in participatory budget hearings in West Pokot.
- Pimbert, M. & Wakeford, T. (2002). Prajateerpu: A citizens’ jury: scenario workshop on food futures for Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Projeto Democracia Participativa PRODEP-UFMG. (2017, January 30). The councils of children and adolescents in Brazil.
- Saltos, T. (n.d.). The participatory budgeting experience: Cotacachi – Ecuador. (82K pdf)
- Smith, C. (2013, April 19). Local planning and participatory budgeting in Medellin (Colombia).
- Waller, L. G. (2013). Enhancing political participation in Jamaica: The use of Facebook to “cure” the problem of political talk among the Jamaican youth. Sage Open, 3(2), 1-9.
From Tools to Strategies: Moving Together and Education for Change
- 198 methods of nonviolent action. Original source: Sharp, G. (1973). The politics of nonviolence action (3 vols.). Boston: Porter Sargent.
- Abdulsattar, T. O. (2015). A critical analysis of the Arab Spring: Case studies of Tunisia and Egypt (Master’s thesis). Middle East Technical University, Mersin, Turkey. (835K pdf)
- Civil resistance 2.0: 198 nonviolent methods upgraded, an interactive list of nonviolent methods that use digital technologies.
- Heller, N. (2017, August 21). Is there any point to protesting?. The New Yorker.
- Kelleher, D. (2014). Advancing gender justice in social movements: An approach for social movement leaders. (Policy brief). Brighton: IDS.
- Learning for Democracy Group. (2008). Learning for democracy: Ten propositions and ten proposals. (313K pdf)
- Movement Strategy Center, publications and tools.
- Movement Strategy Center. (2013). Nuts and bolts of building an alliance [Draft]. (What we’re learning paper no. 2). (647K pdf)
- Slum Dwellers International (SDI) is a network of community-based organizations of the urban poor in countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Designing Deliberative Dialogue
- Beauvais, E. & Baechtiger, A. (2016). Taking the goals of deliberation seriously: A differentiated view on equality and equity in deliberative designs and processes. Journal of Public Deliberation, 12(2).
- Carcasson, M. (2009). Beginning with the end in mind: A call for goal-driven deliberative practice. (Occasional paper no. 2). New York, NY: Public Agenda. (170K pdf)
- National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation (NCDD) brings people together to tackle today’s challenges.
- NCDD. (2014). Engagement streams framework. (Rev. ed.). (364K pdf)
Deepening Discussions and Practicing Persuasion
- Gabriel, E. (2017, September 9). The right to protest the doctrine of discovery: Its signs, slurs, and influences. [Blog post].
- Montambeault, F. (2016). Participatory citizenship in the making? The multiple citizenship trajectories of participatory budgeting participants in Brazil. Journal of Civil Society, 12(3), 282-298. (StFX only)
- Accountability guide, published by Mango which focuses on strengthening the financial management and accountability of other NGOs around the world.
- Benequista, N. & Gaventa, J. (2011). Blurring the boundaries: Citizen action across states and societies. Brighton: IDS.
- BRIDGE. (2004). Gender and citizenship cutting edge pack. Brighton, UK: Institute of Development Studies.
- Brown, C., Harrison, D., Burns, H., & Ziglio, E. (2013). Governance for health equity: Taking forward the equity values and goals of Health 2020 in the WHO European Region. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe. (662K pdf)
- Civicus. (2013). The Enabling Environment Index 2013: A Civicus initiative. Washington, DC: Civicus. Report available for download.
- van Deth, J. W. (2014). A conceptual map of political participation. Acta Politica, 49(3), 349-367. (StFX only)
- Development Research Centre on Citizenship, Participation and Accountability (Citizenship DRC) was a research consortium that investigated how citizens hold institutions to account and claim their rights.
- Edwards, J. (2014, July 24). Women in politics: Beyond numbers. Participation, Power and Social Change (PPSC) [web log].
- Everyday Democracy, ideas and tools for community change.
- Fung, A. (2006). Varieties of participation in complex governance. Public Administration Review, 66(S1), 66-75. (StFX only)
- Fung, A. (2015). Putting the public back into governance: The challenges of citizen participation and its future. Public Administration Review, 75(4), 513-522. (191K pdf) (Open access)
- Gaventa, J. (2006). Triumph, deficit or contestation? Deepening the ‘deepening democracy’ debate. (Working paper no. 264). Brighton, UK: Institute of Development Studies. (266K pdf)
- Gaventa, J. & Benequista, N. (2009, August 5). Democracy-support: From recession to innovation.
- Global Partnership for Social Accountability (GPSA) supports civil society and governments working together to solve governance challenges in developing countries.
- Hydén, G. & Samuel, J. (Eds.). (2011). Making the state responsive: Experience with democratic governance assessments. New York: UNDP. (5.49 Mb pdf)
- Koester, D. (2015). Gender & power. (Concept brief no. 04). Birmingham, UK: University of Birmingham. (381K pdf)
- Mintzberg, H. (2014). Rebalancing society: Radical renewal beyond left, right, and center. (676K pdf)
- Olsen DeVries, K. (2017). Unpacking the concept of civic space. Drum Beat 738.
- Participation Compass contains information on methods, case studies, documentation and organisations that provide expertise in participation.
- Participatory Budgeting Project supports processes that deepen democracy, build stronger communities, and make public budgets more equitable and effective.
- Participatory governance toolkit, Civicus.
- Participatory Local Democracy, the Hunger Project partnered with the UN Democracy Fund (UNDEF) to cultivate a community of practice that is working to build capacity for local governance focusing on impoverished rural areas.
- Participedia, strengthening democracy through shared knowledge.
- Paxton, P. & Kunovich, S. (2003). Women’s political representation: The importance of ideology. Social Forces, 82(1), 87-113. (StFX only)
- Samuel, J. (2002). What is people-centred advocacy? PLA Notes, 43, 9-12. (42K pdf)
- Samuel, J. (2007). Public advocacy and people-centred advocacy: Mobilising for social change. Development in Practice, 17(4/5), 615-621. (StFX only)
- Skidmore, P. & Bound, K. (2008). The everyday democracy index. London: Demos. (1.10 Mb pdf)
- Smith, G. (2005). Power: Beyond the ballot: democratic innovations from around the world. London: The POWER Inquiry. (739K pdf)
- Speer, J. (2012). Participatory governance reform: A good strategy for increasing government responsiveness and improving public services? World Development, 40(12), 2379-2398. (StFX only)
- Three minute citizen, Springtide has created ten videos explaining democracy in Canada.
- Videos from the Participatory Budgeting Project. Examples of real people doing real participatory budgeting processes.