Marie Michael Library
Research Methods for Social Impact
Online course: February 22 – April 4, 2021
Week 1: What is Research? (February 22 – 28)
- Center for Research Quality. (2015, August 13). Overview of qualitative research methods [Video]. Youtube. (12:09 min.)
- Good Finance. (2019, December 9). How do you measure social impact? [Video]. Youtube. (3:11 min.)
- Mahoney, T., Grain, K., Fraser, P., & Wong, J. (2021). Community resource handbook (1st ed.). Community Engaged Research Initiative, Simon Fraser University.
- Pain, R., Whitman, G., Milledge, D., & Lune Rivers Trust. (2012). Participatory action research toolkit: An introduction to using PAR as an approach to learning, research and action. Durham University.
- Access Alliance. (2021). Our community-based research tools.
- Community-Based Research Centre. (2019). Publications: Practical toolkits.
- Methodology Related Presentations – TCSPP. (2015, February 4). Conducting qualitative research decisions, actions, and implications by Philip Adu, Ph.D [Video]. Youtube. (75 min.)
- The PAME Code. (2017, October 2). Qualitative research and social impact [Video]. Youtube. (52:49 min.)
- Rapple, C. (2019, August 23). Research impact: What it is, why it matters, and how you can increase potential. Kudos.
- Trent University. (2021). Community-based research modules.
- Universidad de Deusto / Deustuko Unibertsitatea. (2020, September 22). Deusto research social impact [Video]. Youtube. (2:54 min.)
- Virginia Tech. (2018, September 21). Research methods guide: Introduction.
Week 2: Values and Ethics (March 1 – 7)
- Banks, S., et al. (2013). Everyday ethics in community-based participatory research. Contemporary Social Science, 8(3), 263-277. https://doi.org/10.1080/21582041.2013.769618 (StFX only)
- Farris, T., Forouzan, L., & Pudrzynska Paul, D. (2011). Community research: A community research lab toolkit. Advancement Project / Healthy City. (2.2 Mb pdf)
- Snow, K. (2018). What does being a settler ally in research mean? A graduate student’s experience learning from and working within indigenous research paradigms. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 17(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1609406918770485 (Open Access)
- Trent Community Research Centre. (2019, January 28). Module 6: Unit 1 – power and privilege in research [Video]. Youtube. (3:39 min.)
- Baloy, N. J. K., Sabati, S., & Glass, R. D. (Eds.). (2016). Unsettling research ethics: A collaborative conference report. UC Center for Collaborative Research for an Equitable California, Santa Cruz, June 30.
- Cape Breton University. (2021). Mi’kmaw ethics watch.
- Government of Canada. (n.d.). TCPS 2: CORE – Tutorial.
- Herchak, K. (2020). Decolonization toolkit. VIDEA. (1.7 Mb pdf)
- Muhammad, M., Wallerstein, N., Sussman, A. L., Avila, M., Belone, L., & Duran, B. (2015). Reflections on researcher identity and power: The impact of positionality on community based participatory research (CBPR) processes and outcomes. Critical Sociology, 41(7-8), 1045-1063.
- Shaw, R. H., Howe, J., & Beazer, J., & Carr, T. (2020). Ethics and positionality in qualitative research with vulnerable and marginal groups. Qualitative Research, 20(3), 277-293. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1468794119841839 (StFX only)
- Trent University. (2021). Module 6: Ethics in CBR.
Week 3: Surveying (March 8 – 14)
- Coming soon…