Marie Michael Library
Truth & Reconciliation
Resources on the Truth & Reconciliation Commission on Residential Schools
- National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
- Read the TRC Report. (2015). Truth & Reconciliation Commission reading project. Videos of indigenous participants reading sections from the TRC report.
- Province of Nova Scotia. (2011). Aboriginal people in Nova Scotia.
- We were not the savages: First Nations history, resources by Daniel N. Paul.
Residential Schools in Canada
- Aboriginal Healing Foundation. (2007). Misconceptions of Canada’s Indian residential school system. Ottawa: Aboriginal Healing Foundation. (1.94 Mb pdf)
- Catherine Donnelly Foundation. (2018). Cathy Gerrior (Inuit) a member of Apaji-wla’matulinej on finding your way back to your culture [Video]. (11:49 min.)
- Government of Canada. (2008). Statement of apology to former students of Indian residential schools. (1.0 Mb pdf)
- PSAC. (2011). Justice for Aboriginal Peoples: It’s time [Video]. (6 min.)
- Residential schools: A chronology, from the Assembly of First Nations.
The Mi’kmaq and Residential Schools
- Mason, M., Ward-Jerrit, J., Rosenmeier, L. & Corning, S. (2007). The evolution of Mi’kmaw education: Charting the challenges, the failures and the successes. In Kekina’muek: Learning about the Mi’kmaq of Nova Scotia (p. 27-40). Truro, NS: Eastern Woodland Publishing. (1.87 Mb pdf)
- Residential schools information provided by Daniel N. Paul.
How can you get involved?
- TRC-CVR. (n.d.). How can you get involved? [Video]. (2 min.)
- TRC-CVR. (n.d.). Northern National Event – Witness [Video]. (3:18 min.)
- TRC-CVR. (n.d.). What is reconciliation? [Video]. (3 min.)
Truth and Reconciliation Commissions links
- Shaw, R. (2005). Rethinking truth and reconciliation commissions: Lessons from Sierra Leone. Special Report 130.
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of South Africa, archival source guide and final report available.
- INCORE. (2002). Guide to internet sources on Truth and Reconciliation.