Call for Proposals: Local Women’s Voices for Peace E-portal and Anthology
Around the globe, women are actively involved in peace and security work in their communities and organizations. Yet, too often, women’s experiences, knowledge and actions are minimalized, marginalized or left out of the official record. Responding to this gap, and in recognition of the 20th anniversary of UN Security Council Resolution 1325, the Local Women’s Voices for Peace e-conference was hosted by Coady Institute in September, 2020. A key focus of discussions included explorations of the interconnections of grassroots work and international processes of networking and advocacy, in the context of resolutions such as 1325. To ensure the continuation of such knowledge sharing and analysis, we are developing an online portal to gather stories, case studies, profiles, strategies, research, and action for women’s peace work in communities. Creative works will also be welcomed. The aim is to provide resources and inspiration for peace activists, community leaders, educators and researchers. An anthology of contributions will also be compiled in an e-publication format in 2021.
We are now welcoming expressions of interest for contributions to this online collection of research-based writings as well as creative forms that share women’s local knowledge and action to promote peace and security. Contributions will be considered in a range of categories to develop a diverse collection of insights, thinking and knowledge for multiple audiences. Suggested examples of entries include:
- Empirical and theory-building research articles
- Case studies
- Policy engagement
- Educational resources and training tools
- Women’s grassroots experiences in peace activism
- Profiles of women peace activists, educators and leaders
- Artistic works such as poetry, songs, photos / photo essays, paintings and other forms of visual arts
Entries will be selected to develop into submissions highlighting women’s experiences and knowledge in peacebuilding. We will follow up with the selected contributors to discuss the topic and format of your proposed entry and the support we can provide to assist in the completion of your work. Currently, we can only accept entries in English. We will update the guidelines whenever we are able to accommodate additional languages. We hope to offer additional calls for contributions in the future, subject to funding.
All completed manuscripts will be reviewed for relevance, clarity, language and style. Profiles, reflective writings, and creative entries will be reviewed internally and guidance will be provided to prepare the submissions for posting.
Research-based/academic manuscripts will be submitted for peer-review. Manuscripts for research papers, depending on format will typically range from 3,000-5,000 words. Complete references must be included.
Deadline for submission of research-based/academic proposals: January 15, 2021
Applicants will be notified by January 31 if their proposal is accepted.
Deadline for submission of completed manuscript: April 30, 2021
Deadline for submission of proposals for profiles, reflective and creative works: July 12, 2021
Applicants will be notified by July 23, 2021 if their proposal is accepted.
Deadline for submission of completed manuscript/artwork: August 9, 2021.
- Only those who have been selected to contribute a full manuscript will be contacted.
- Contributors must ensure they are authorized to post their work publicly, including ethics approvals for research, and permissions to share the stories of other people.
- The final works will be included in the Local Women’s Voices for Peace digital collection and may also be selected for inclusion in the ebook anthology. All works will be available under Coady’s Creative Commons Share-Alike license to allow free access to the content. Contributors must ensure the entries have no copyright restrictions that would prevent open access.