Marie Michael Library
Global Change Leaders
Asset-Based and Citizen-Led Development (ABCD)
- ABCD Institute toolkit, collection of tools and resources.
- Admin. (2019, August 11). Hippocratic Oath for community workers. Neighbor Power Blog.
- L’Arche International focuses on the gifts of people with intellectual disabilities, working together towards a more inclusive society.
- Bergdall, T. (2012). Facilitating asset based community development. (195K pdf)
- Celestin, J. (2018, August 7). Have we no agency?. Thinker’s Notepad.
- Cunningham, G. (2010). Community economic literacy and the “leaky bucket” (Occasional paper no. 9). Antigonish, NS: Coady International Institute. (1.85 Mb pdf)
- Digital Leaky Bucket, the online version of the tool is available for download.
- Great questions: Writings of Judith Snow [e-book edition]. (n.d.). Inclusion Press.
- Kretzmann, J., & McKnight, J. (1993). Building communities from the inside out: A path toward finding and mobilizing a community’s assets. ABCD Institute.
- McKnight, J. (2019). A history of the Asset-Based Community Development Institute: Unintentionally creating a movement. Kettering Review, 35(1), 19-24. (1.51 Mb pdf)
- McKnight, J. (2013). The four-legged stool. Study for the Kettering Foundation.
- McKnight, J. (n.d.). A guide to government empowerment of local citizens and their associations. (228K pdf)
- McKnight, J. (n.d.). It doesn’t take a village to raise a modern child: The economic, political and cultural socialization of young Americans. (89K pdf)
- TED. (2009, October 7). The danger of a single story: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie [Video]. Youtube. (19:16 min.)
- Toomey, A. H. (2009). Empowerment and disempowerment in community development practice: Eight roles practitioners play. Community Development Journal, 46(2), 181-195. https://doi.org/10.1093/cdj/bsp060 (StFX only)
Climate Change, Environment and Women’s Leadership
- Bathge, S. (2010). The governance cluster: Climate change and gender: economic empowerment of women through climate mitigation and adaptation? (Working paper). GTZ.
- Otzelberger, A. (2014). Tackling the double injustice of climate change and gender inequality. CARE International.
- Pangare, V. (2016). Gender equality, water and climate change adaptation in megacities. (605K pdf)
- UNDP. (2010). The Community Water Initiative: Fostering water security and climate change adaptation and mitigation. UNDP.
- UN Women. (n.d.). Why is climate change a gender issue? (Brief). UN Women Fiji Multi-Country Office. (1.29 Mb pdf)
- WHO. (2014). Gender, climate change and health. WHO.
Communication, Media Engagement, and Fundraising
- AWID’s Resourcing Feminist Movements (RFM) Initiative focuses on the current funding ecosystem ranging from self-generated models of resourcing to more formal funding streams.
- Create a Google alert
- IDRC. (n.d.). How to write a policy brief. (588K pdf)
- Example of a policy brief:
UNDP. (2011). Gender and climate change Africa: Policy brief 4: agriculture and food security (Working draft). (389K pdf)
- Example of a policy brief:
- Mohr, T. S. (2012, January 9). Public speaking tips for women.
- Readable will quickly test the readability, spelling and grammar of your text and show you how and where to make improvements.
- Tolman, K. (2017, June 29). What is graphic recording (and graphic facilitation)? LinkedIn.
Creating Systems Change through Innovation and Collaboration
- British Council. (2017). Active citizens: Facilitator’s toolkit: globally connected, locally engaged. British Council. (4.19 Mb pdf)
- Hutchison, K. (2014). Systems thinking and evaluation [Video]. Youtube. (5:11 min.)
- Sustainable Human. (2014). How wolves change rivers [Video]. Youtube. (4:33 min.)
- TED Talks. (2010). Eric Berlow: Simplifying complexity [Video]. TED.com. (3:36 min.)
- Waters Foundation. (2014). Habits of a systems thinker. Waters Foundation.
- FSGImpact. (2013). Champions for change: Collective impact backbone workshop [Video]. Youtube. (5:06 min.)
- FSGImpact. (2013). Collective impact practitioner insights: Kat Allen, Communities that Care Coalition [Video]. Youtube. (6:13 min.)
- FSGImpact. (2013). Collective impact practitioner insights: Paul Born & Liz Weaver, Tamarack Institute [Video]. Youtube. (6:09 min.)
- GCFonline. (2012). Collective impact – 2012 [Video]. Youtube. (2:13 min.)
- Hanleybrown, F., Kania, J., & Kramer, M. (2012). Channeling change: Making collective impact work. Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Kahane, A. (2013). Transformative scenario planning: A tool for systemic change. Social Change, 16-22.
- Kania, J. & Kramer, M. (2011). Collective impact. Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Theory of Change
- Brown, A.-M. (2017, July 27). Different software for developing and visualising theories of change. LinkedIn.
- O’Flynn, M., et al. (2012). Theory of change: What’s it all about? ONTRAC, no. 51.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Coe, J. & Majot, J. (2013). Monitoring, evaluation and learning in NGO advocacy: Findings from comparative policy advocacy MEL review project. ODI.
- Davies, R. & Dart, J. (2005). The ‘Most Significant Change’ (MSC) technique: A guide to its use. CARE International. (1.23 Mb pdf)
- Haddock, P. (2015). Monitoring and evaluating training: Challenges, opportunities and recommendations (Praxis paper no. 30). INTRAC.
- UN Women. (2013). Gender Equality Evaluation Portal.
- UN Women. (2015). How to manage gender-responsive evaluation: Evaluation handbook. UN Women Independent Evaluation Office.
Gender and Power Analysis
- Jaffe, S. (2013). Trickle-down feminism. Dissent Magazine.
- Ludgate, N. (2016). Info sheet: Common gender analysis tools (2): Harvard Analytical Framework. USAID. (364K pdf)
- The Powercube: Understanding power for social change
- United Nations General Assembly. (1979, December 18). Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women.
- VeneKlasen, L. & Miller, V. (2007). Power and empowerment. In A new weave of power, people, and politics: The action guide for advocacy and citizen participation (pp. 39-58). Practical Action. (202K pdf)
Governance, Accountability, and Legitimacy
- AFIC. (2019, January 7). Making public contracts work for people: Experiences from Uganda. Africa Freedom of Information Centre.
- CARE Malawi. (2013). The Community Score Card (CSC): A generic guide for implementing CARE’s CSC process to improve quality of services: toolkit. (6.84 Mb pdf)
- Chambers, V. (2016). Enhancing women’s influence in local governance with community scorecards: CARE Rwanda’s experience. ODI.
- Gullo, S., Galavotti, C., & Altman, L. (2016). A review of CARE’s Community Score Card experience and evidence. Health Policy and Planning, 31(10), 1467-1478. https://dx.doi.org/10.1093%2Fheapol%2Fczw064 (StFX only)
- Janeowinoo. (2016). Participatory urban planning in Kitale, Kenya. Participedia.
- Landry, J., & Peters, B. (2018). Assets on the right(s) track? Reflections at the intersection of human rights-based approaches and asset based and citizen-led development (Innovation series, no. 19). Coady Institute. (1.92 Mb pdf)
- Lehman, M. (2019). Engaging girls through dialogue, community scorecards and advocacy to combat early pregnancy in Benin. Participedia.
- McLoughlin, C. (2014). State legitimacy (DLP Concept brief no. 02). University of Birmingham.
- Ming, Z., Woo, S. Y., & Liu, R. (2019). Large-scale participatory budgeting in Chengdu (China). Participedia.
- TVEAPfilms. (2010). People power part 1 of 4 [Video]. Youtube. (7:18 min.)
- TVEAPfilms. (2010). People power part 2 of 4 [Video]. Youtube. (3:37 min.)
- TVEAPfilms. (2010). People power part 3 of 4 [Video]. Youtube. (5:07 min.)
- Participatory Planning
- Chavez, E. (2009). Participatory urban planning in the Philippines [Video]. Youtube. Part 1 (4:10 min.) and Part 2 (4:56 min.)
- Cities Biodiversity Center. (2017). Crafting better cities with nature: Participatory planning of rivers and riversides in Addis Ababa using Minecraft.
- Participatory Budgeting
- TVE Asia Pacific. (2010). Participatory budgeting in Porto Alegre, Brazil [Video]. Youtube. (5:08 min.)
- PBP. (2015). Real money, real power: Participatory budgeting [Video]. Vimeo. (4:13 min.)
- IOPD. (2017). 2017 participatory budgeting for migrant workers.
- Social Audit
- International Budget Partnership. (2019, March 19). Growth and innovation of social audits in South Africa [Video]. Youtube. (11.36 min.)
- PACS. (2016). Inclusive social audits.
- Social Audit Network. (2018, September 4). Engaging government differently: Social audits and service delivery [Video]. Youtube. (10:12 min.)
- TVE Asia Pacific. (2010). Social audit by MKSS in India [Video]. Youtube. (7:19 min.)
- Community Scorecard
- Abdurrahman. (2019). Community empowerment to improve education service in disadvantaged villages [Video]. Vimeo. (3:09 min.)
- Options Consultantcy Services Ltd. (2017, October 10). Community scorecards in Bungoma County, Kenya [Video]. Youtube. (4:23 min.)
- TVE Asia Pacific. (2010). Health sector community scorecard by CARE Malawi [Video]. Youtube. (3:37 min.)
Inclusive Economics and Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Albu, M. & Schneider, H. (2008). Making markets work for poor: Comparing M4P and SLA frameworks: case studies. Springfield Centre, on behalf of the Fauno consortium. (459K pdf)
- Center for Social Innovation. (n.d.). The social business model canvas. (1.36 Mb pdf)
- Ferris, S., Mundy, P., & Best, R. (2009). Getting to market: From agriculture to agroenterprise. Catholic Relief Services.
- de Morais, N. (2010). Conjunto las Palmeiras, Fortaleza, Brazil: Banco Palmas. (133K pdf)
- Helmore, K. (2011). Tanzania: Linking savings groups to mobile banking (Access Africa technical learning series, no 2). CARE USA. (1.23 Mb pdf)
- Jones, L., & Hess, R. (2012). Perveen Shaikh: Promoting women’s economic leadership in Pakistan (Global Change Leaders case study). Coady Institute. (458K pdf)
- Lee, N. (2012). Ela Bhatt: Organizing self-employed women in India (Global Change Leaders case study). Coady Institute. (554K pdf)
- Mathie, A. & Ghore, Y. (2011). Innovative types of formal member-based organizations (MBOs): Towards an analysis of trends and a guide to MBO potential (Technical report to IDRC Grant No. 106282-010). Coady Institute. (1.29 Mb pdf)
- Mayoux, L. & Mackie, G. (2007). Making the strongest links: A practical guide to mainstreaming gender analysis in value chain development. ILO. (1.88 Mb pdf)
- Nissanke, M. & Thorbecke, E. (2010). Linking globalization to poverty in Asia, Latin America and Africa (Policy brief, no. 3). United Nations University. (895K pdf)
- Sheck, R., Donovon, J., Stoin, D. (2013). Assessing impacts of value chain development on poverty: A case-study companion to the 5Capitals Tool. World Agroforestry Centre, Bioversity International and Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center, CATIE. (5.43 Mb pdf)
- Webmaster. (2011, October 28). Aravind eye care system. Social Enterprise Institute at Northeastern University.
- UNDP. (2004). Unleashing entrepreneurship: Making business work for the poor. UNDP. (2.24 Mb pdf)
Neuro Leadership and the Decision Making Process Towards Women’s Political Participation
- IDRC. (2008). Decentralization, local power and women’s rights: Global trends in participation, representation and access to public services. Policy recommendations from the international conference, Mexico City. (605K pdf)
- Pereira, A., & Taylor, J. (2010). Video – real rights: Decentralization and women in South Asia. These videos show the results of fieldwork supported by IDRC’s Women’s Rights and Citizenship program, which aimed to learn from women’s experiences of decentralization in Nepal, Pakistan, and India.
- UNWomen. (2019). Facts and figures: Leadership and political participation: women in parliaments.
Self and Leadership
- Batliwala, S. (2010). Feminist leadership for social transformation: Clearing the conceptual cloud. CREA. (686K pdf)
- Batliwala, S. (2012). Changing their world: Concepts and practices of women’s movements (2nd ed.). AWID.
- Batliwala, S. & Rao, A. (2004). Conversations with women on leadership and social transformation. Gender at Work. (252K pdf)
- CBM. (n.d.). PPP: The 3P’s for inclusion of women with disabilities: The personal, the political, the policy. CBM. (1.05 Mb pdf)
- CBM. (2013). CBM submission on women and girls with disabilities to the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities as requested by CRPD/C/8/3, February 16, 2013. (666K pdf)
- CBMworldwide. (2016). Nothing about us without us [Video]. Youtube. (4:43 min.)
- The Learning Web. (n.d.). Check your personal thinking style. The test is based on research by Anthony Gregorc.
- English, L., & Peters, N. (2011). Founders’ syndrome in women’s nonprofit organizations: Implications for practice and organizational life. Nonprofit Management & Leadership, 22(2), 159-171. https://doi.org/10.1002/nml.20047 (StFX only)
- Handicap International. (2015). Gender and disability: A way forward to overcoming multiple discrimination (Briefing paper). Handicap International. (224K pdf)
- Hao, A. P. (2016, December 15). Decolonizing feminism: A Brazilian perspective. AWID.
- Kiln.it. (2014, February 4). Women’s rights country by country: Interactive. The Guardian.
- Manning, S. (2014). Feminist intersectional policy analysis: Resource development and extraction framework (FemNorthNet fact sheet). Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women.
- Mind styles – Anthony Gregorc
- Quiet Revolution, unlocking the power of introverts everywhere.
- Shiva, V. (2013). Vandana Shiva: Our violent economy is hurting women. Yes magazine.
- TED2012. (2012). Susan Cain: The power of introverts [Video]. TED.com. (18:57 min.)
- TED Talks. (n.d.). Playlist: How to be a great leader.
- TED Talks. (n.d.). Playlist: Personal stories from conflict zones.
Women In Conflict, Emergencies And Peacebuilding Process
- PeaceWomen Across the Globe. (2019). The initiative: 1000 peacewomen.
- SNP Friends of Palestine. (2015, November 29). Budrus [Video]. Youtube. (81:57 min.)
- TED Summit. (2016, June). Julia Bacha: How women wage conflict without violence [Video]. TED.com. (12:21 min.)
- TED Global. (2011, July). Julia Bacha: Pay attention to nonviolence [Video]. TED.com. (10:37 min.)
- TED Global. (2013, June). May El-Khalil: Making peace is a marathon [Video]. TED.com. (10:05 min.)
Women’s Rights and Citizenship
- Brysk, A. (2014, January 30). Does women’s empowerment encourage good global citizenship? New Security Beat.
- Johnson, P. (2016, April 14). How to put yourself first (really!). Canadian Women’s Foundation.
- Mukhopadhyay, M. & Singh, N. (Eds.). (2007). Gender justice, citizenship, and development. IDRC.
- Ashoka Foundation
- AWID – Association for Women’s Rights in Development
- DAWN – Development Alternatives with Women for a New Era
- Participedia is a global community sharing knowledge and stories about public participation and democratic innovations.
- SEEP Network‘s vision is for markets to provide opportunities for all to engage and prosper.
- SEWA – Self Employed Women’s Association
- Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship
- Tamarack Institute is a connected force for community change.
- UN Women, United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Waters Center for Systems Thinking
- Achola, P. (2012). Kakenya Ntaiya: Empowering Maasai girls in Kenya (Global Change Leaders case study). Coady Institute. (529K pdf)
- Adeleye-Fayemi, B. & Horn, J. (Eds.). (2009). Voice, power and soul: Portraits of African feminists. African Women’s Development Fund. (7.37 Mb pdf)
- AWID. (2004). Intersectionality: A tool for gender and economic justice. AWID.
- Hess, R. (2012). Dr. Bogaletch Gebre: KMG Ethiopia (Global Change Leaders case study). Coady Institute. (574K pdf)
- Lee, N. (2012). Dr. Zilda Arns Neumann: Humanizing the health care system in Brazil (Global Change Leaders case study). Coady Institute. (559K pdf)
- Sexuality Policy Watch (SPW) is a global forum composed of researchers and activists. It is a source of information on facts, research findings and public debates around topics such as: abortion, gender-based sexual violence, sex work, LGBTI rights, HIV and AIDS.
- Tramel, S. F., Naqvi, A., & Wesso, R. (2021). Behind the scenes of extractives: Money, power and community resistance: a toolkit. JASS.
- Wainaina, N. (2012). Herstory: Our journey: advocating for the rights of African women. The African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET).
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws provides information, support and a space for women whose lives are shaped or governed by laws and customs said to derive from Islam.