Marie Michael Library
Action Research for Citizen-Led Change
- An asset-based approach to community development: A manual for village organizers. Antigonish, NS: Coady Institute. (3.4 Mb pdf)
- Cunningham, G. (2011). Community economic literacy and the “leaky bucket”. (Occasional paper no. 9). Antigonish, NS: Coady Institute. (1.9 Mb pdf)
- Ghore, Y. (2015). Producer-led value chain analysis: The missing link in value chain development: A tool for effective engagement of small producers. Antigonish, NS: Coady Institute. (1.72 Mb pdf)
- Mathie, A. & Peters, B. (2014). Joint (ad)ventures and (in)credible journeys evaluating innovation: Asset-based community development in Ethiopia. Development in Practice, 24(3), 405-419. (StFX only)
- Participatory monitoring and evaluation: A manual for village organizers. Antigonish, NS: Coady Institute. (3.4 Mb pdf)
- Peters, B. (Ed.). (2013). Applying an asset-based community-driven development approach in Ethiopia, 2003-2011: final internal evaluation report. Antigonish, NS: Coady Institute. (9.0 Mb pdf)
- Peters, B., Gonsamo, M., & Molla, S. (2011). Capturing unpredictable and intangible change: Evaluating an asset-based community development (ABCD) approach in Ethiopia. (Occasional paper no. 10). Antigonish, NS: Coady Institute. (8.72 Mb pdf)
- Dias, S. M. & Samson, M. (2016). Informal economy monitoring study sector report: Waste pickers executive summary. Manchester, UK: WIEGO. (1.06 Mb pdf)
- Fisher, K., et al. (Eds.). (2018). Know your city: Slum dwellers count. Cape Town, SA: SDI. (2.16 Mb pdf)
- Kar, K. & Chambers, R. (2010). Triggering: An extract from the Handbook on community-led total sanitation. Participatory learning and action, 61, 179-200. (713K pdf)
- Karamoja Action Research Team. (2013). Ekoi and Etem in Karamoja: A study of decision-making in a post-conflict society (P. Scott-Villiers, Ed.). Brighton, UK: IDS.
- Langdon, J. (2013). Salt is life: Social movement learning in defence of communal access to Ghana’s Songor salt lagoon (Research for change, case 3). Antigonish, NS: Coady International Institute. (227K pdf)
- Lemaire, I. & Muniz, S. (2011). Participatory video for monitoring and evaluation for community-based adaptation to climate change. Manchester, UK: University of Manchester. (709K pdf)
- Ochocka, J. (2013). “Taking culture seriously in community mental health”: Participatory action research (PAR) in Ontario, Canada (Research for change, case 1). Antigonish, NS: Coady International Institute. (561K pdf)
- Perkins, K., Ward, D., & Leclair, M. (2011). Participatory radio campaigns and food security: How radio can help farmers make informed decisions. Ottawa, ON: Farm Radio International. (3.22 Mb pdf)
- Peters, B., Legesse, S., & Mathie, A. (2013). Asset-based, community-driven development: Involving multiple stakeholders in 10 years of action research in Ethiopia (Research for change, case 2). Antigonish, NS: Coady International Institute. (262K pdf)
- The urban informal workforce: Home-based workers. (2014). Manchester, UK: WIEGO.
- WIEGO. (2014, April 9). Study finds urban informal workers are integral to city economies but unsupported by city policies and practices [Press release]. Manchester, UK: WIEGO. (274K pdf)
- Action Research, journal issues available: 1(2003)-current. (StFX only)
- Boto, I., Dozzo, G. & Adrien, E. (2013). Farmer-driven research to improve food and nutrition security (Brussels Rural Development briefing no. 34). (866K pdf)
- Carter, S. M. & Little, M. (2007). Justifying knowledge, justifying method, taking action: Epistemologies, methodologies, and methods in qualitative research. Qualitative Health Research, 17(10), 1316-1328. (StFX only)
- Catley, A., Burns, J., Abebe, D., & Suji, O. (2013). Participatory impact assessment: A design guide (2nd ed.). Somerville, MA: Feinstein International Center. (1.52 Mb pdf)
- Cornwall, A. (2007). Buzzwords and fuzzwords: Deconstructing development discourse. Development in Practice, 17(4/5), 471-484. (StFX only)
- Gonsalves, J., et al. (Eds.). (2005). Participatory research and development for sustainable agriculture and natural resource management: A sourcebook. Ottawa: IDRC.
- Kariuki, J. & Njuki, J. (2013). Using participatory impact diagrams to evaluate a community development project in Kenya. Development in Practice, 23(1), 90-106. (StFX only)
- Lilja, N. & Bellon, M. (2010). Some common questions about participatory research: A review of the literature. Development in Practice, 18(4/5), 479-488. (StFX only)
- Loewenson, R., et al. (2014). Participatory action research in health systems: A methods reader. Harare, Zimbabwe: EQUINET. (3.43 Mb pdf)
- Minkler, M., et al. (n.d.). Promoting healthy public policy through community-based participatory research: Ten case studies. Oakland, CA: PolicyLink. (1.53 Mb pdf)
- Office of Environment and Heritage. (2017). Citizen science case studies: A collection of key learnings and benefits of citizen science projects. Sydney, NSW, Australia: Office of Environment and Heritage.
- Ollner, A. (2010). Involving youth in research: A guide to the literature on participatory research with youth. Toronto: York University. (1.06 Mb pdf)
- Pain, R., Whitman, G., & Milledge, D. (n.d.). Participatory action research toolkit: An introduction to using PAR as an approach to learning, research and action. Durham, UK: Durham University. (2.55 Mb pdf)
- Participatory Learning and Action (PLA), formerly PLA/RRA Notes, is an informal journal on paticipatory methods and approaches.
- Participatory Methods generates ideas and action for social change, produced by IDS.
- Rajbhandary, J., Hart, R., & Khatiwada, C. (2001). Extracts from ‘The children’s clubs of Nepal: A democratic experiment’. PLA Notes, 42, 23-28. (93K pdf)
- Reason, P. & McArdle, K. (2004). Brief notes on the theory and practice of action research. In S. Becker & A. Bryman (Eds.), Understanding research methods for social policy and practice. London: The Polity Press. (127K pdf)
- Research for Organizing, a toolkit for participatory action research from the community development project.
- Rietbergen-McCracken, J. & Narayan, D. (1998). Participation and social assessment: Tools and techniques. Washington, DC: World Bank. (687K pdf)
- Right to the City. (2010). We call these projects home: Solving the housing crisis from the ground up. (9.88 Mb pdf)
- Shallwani, S. & Mohammed, S. (2007). Community-based participatory research: A training manual for community-based researchers. (949K pdf)
- Vogt, E., Brown, J., & Isaacs, D. (2003). The art of powerful questions: Catalyzing insight, innovation, and action. Mill Valley, CA: Whole Systems Associates. (269K pdf)
- Wadsworth, Y. (1998). What is participatory action research? Action Research International, 2.
- Walsh, M. (2015, November 5). New guidelines for the intrepid development researcher [Web log comment].
- Wicks, P. G. & Reason, P. (2009). Initiating action research: Challenges and paradoxes of opening communicative space. Action Research, 7. (151K pdf) (StFX only)
- Bevernage, J. (2013). Participatory action research with mothers of children in street situation [Video file]. (6:43 min.)
- Bigideasfest. (2014). Michelle Fine: Youth participatory action research [Video file]. (17:32 min.)
- CERG. (2013). Mirrors of ourselves: Tools of democratic reflection for groups of children and youth [Video file]. (21:45 min.)
- ChrisFlipp. (2014). Community-based participatory research [Video file]. (8:54 min.)
- IDRC. (2010). Malakas! [Video file]. (40:54 min.)
- Practice in Participation. (2013). Community based monitoring. [4-part video file].