Marie Michael Library
Action Research for Citizen-Led Change
- Demetria. (2014, April 9). Study finds urban informal workers are integral to city economies but unsupported by city policies and practices [Press release]. WIEGO.
- Dias, S. M. & Samson, M. (2016). Informal economy monitoring study sector report: Waste pickers executive summary. WIEGO.
- Kar, K. & Chambers, R. (2010). Triggering: An extract from the Handbook on community-led total sanitation. Participatory learning and action, 61, 179-200. (713K pdf)
- Karamoja Action Research Team, et al. (2013). Ekoi and Etem in Karamoja: A study of decision-making in a post-conflict society. IDS.
- Langdon, J. (2013). Salt is life: Social movement learning in defence of communal access to Ghana’s Songor salt lagoon (Research for change, case 3). Coady Institute. (227K pdf)
- Lemaire, I. & Muniz, S. (2011). Participatory video for monitoring and evaluation for community-based adaptation to climate change. University of Manchester. (709K pdf)
- Ochocka, J. (2013). “Taking culture seriously in community mental health”: Participatory action research (PAR) in Ontario, Canada (Research for change, case 1). Coady Institute. (561K pdf)
- Peters, B., Legesse, S., & Mathie, A. (2013). Asset-based, community-driven development: Involving multiple stakeholders in 10 years of action research in Ethiopia (Research for change, case 2). Coady Institute. (262K pdf)
- The urban informal workforce: Home-based workers. (2014). WIEGO.
- An asset-based approach to community development: A manual for village organizers. Coady Institute. (3.4 Mb pdf)
- Cunningham, G. (2011). Community economic literacy and the “leaky bucket” (Occasional paper no. 9). Coady Institute. (1.9 Mb pdf)
- Ghore, Y. (2015). Producer-led value chain analysis: The missing link in value chain development: A tool for effective engagement of small producers. Coady Institute. (1.72 Mb pdf)
- Ghore, Y. (2016). Participatory livelihoods mapping with persons with disabilities in Uganda. IDS. (1.58 Mb pdf)
- Mathie, A. & Peters, B. (2014). Joint (ad)ventures and (in)credible journeys evaluating innovation: Asset-based community development in Ethiopia. Development in Practice, 24(3), 405-419. https://doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2014.899560 (StFX only)
- Participatory monitoring and evaluation: A manual for village organizers. Coady Institute. (3.4 Mb pdf)
- Peters, B. (Ed.). (2013). Applying an asset-based community-driven development approach in Ethiopia, 2003-2011: final internal evaluation report. Coady Institute. (9.0 Mb pdf)
- Peters, B., Gonsamo, M., & Molla, S. (2011). Capturing unpredictable and intangible change: Evaluating an asset-based community development (ABCD) approach in Ethiopia (Occasional paper no. 10). Coady Institute. (8.72 Mb pdf)
- Research for Change: How can academic institutions and civil society organizations collaborate together to do quality research for social change? In November 2013, Coady Institute partnered with IDRC to hold a learning forum to discuss this topic.
- Action Research, journal issues available: 1(2003)-current. (StFX only)
- Bennett, G. & Jessani, N. (Eds.). (2011). The knowledge translation toolkit: Bridging the know-do gap: a resource for researchers. IDRC.
- Boto, I., Dozzo, G. & Adrien, E. (2013). Farmer-driven research to improve food and nutrition security (Brussels Rural Development briefing no. 34). (866K pdf)
- Carden, F. (2009). Knowledge to policy: Making the most of development research. IDRC.
- Carter, I. & Paulus, K. (Eds.). (n.d.). Research communication: Insights from practice (Research Communication Strategy Group working paper). (859K pdf)
- Catley, A., Burns, J., Abebe, D., & Suji, O. (2013). Participatory impact assessment: A design guide (2nd ed.). Feinstein International Center. (1.52 Mb pdf)
- DataShift, a CIVICUS initiative, builds the capacity and confidence of civil society organisations to produce and use citizen-generated data.
- Gonsalves, J., et al. (Eds.). (2005). Participatory research and development for sustainable agriculture and natural resource management: A sourcebook. IDRC.
- Kariuki, J. & Njuki, J. (2013). Using participatory impact diagrams to evaluate a community development project in Kenya. Development in Practice, 23(1), 90-106. https://doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2013.753031 (StFX only)
- Lilja, N. & Bellon, M. (2010). Some common questions about participatory research: A review of the literature. Development in Practice, 18(4/5), 479-488. https://doi.org/10.1080/09614520802181210 (StFX only)
- Loewenson, R., et al. (2014). Participatory action research in health systems: A methods reader. EQUINET. (3.43 Mb pdf)
- Mahadevia, D., Vyas, S., & Mishra, A. (2014). Informal economy monitoring study: Street vendors in Ahmedabad, India. WIEGO. (3.06 Mb pdf)
- Minkler, M., et al. (n.d.). Promoting healthy public policy through community-based participatory research: Ten case studies. PolicyLink.
- Office of Environment and Heritage. (2017). Citizen science case studies: A collection of key learnings and benefits of citizen science projects. Office of Environment and Heritage.
- Pain, R., Whitman, G., & Milledge, D. (n.d.). Participatory action research toolkit: An introduction to using PAR as an approach to learning, research and action. Durham University. (2.55 Mb pdf)
- Participatory Learning and Action (PLA), formerly PLA/RRA Notes, is an informal journal on paticipatory methods and approaches.
- Participatory Methods generates ideas and action for social change, produced by IDS.
- Rajbhandary, J., Hart, R., & Khatiwada, C. (2001). Extracts from ‘The children’s clubs of Nepal: A democratic experiment’. PLA Notes, 42, 23-28. (93K pdf)
- Research for Organizing, a toolkit for participatory action research from the community development project.
- Rietbergen-McCracken, J. & Narayan, D. (1998). Participation and social assessment: Tools and techniques. World Bank. (687K pdf)
- Robinson, L. D., Cawthray, J. L., West, S. E., Bonn, A. & Ansine, J. (2018). Ten principles of citizen science. In S. Hecker, M. Haklay, A. Bowser, Z. Makuch, J. Vogel, & A. Bonn (Eds.). Citizen science: Innovation in open science, society and policy (pp. 29-30). UCL Press. (36.73 Mb pdf)
- Sarna-Wojcicki, D., Perret, M., Eitzel, M. V., & Fortmann, L. (2017). Where are the missing coauthors? Authorship practices in participatory research. Rural Sociology, 82(4), 713-746. https://doi.org/10.1111/ruso.12156 (StFX only)
- Schoonmaker Freudenberger, K. (n.d.). Rapid rural appraisal (RRA) and participatory rural appraisal (PRA): A manual for CRS field workers and partners. Catholic Relief Services. (497K pdf)
- Schoonmaker Freudenberger, K. (1994). Tree and land tenure: Rapid appraisal tools. FAO.
- Shallwani, S. & Mohammed, S. (2007). Community-based participatory research: A training manual for community-based researchers. (949K pdf)
- Wadsworth, Y. (1998). What is participatory action research? Action Research International, 2.
- Wicks, P. G. & Reason, P. (2009). Initiating action research: Challenges and paradoxes of opening communicative space. Action Research, 7. (151K pdf) https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1476750309336715 (StFX only)
- Bevernage, J. (2013, June 25). Participatory action research with mothers of children in street situation [Video]. Youtube. (6:43 min.)
- Bigideasfest. (2014, March 20). Michelle Fine: Youth participatory action research [Video]. Youtube. (17:32 min.)
- CERG. (2013). Mirrors of ourselves: Tools of democratic reflection for groups of children and youth [Video]. Vimeo. (21:45 min.)
- ChrisFlipp. (2014, January 29). Community-based participatory research [Video]. Youtube. (8:54 min.)
- IDRC. (2010, November 12). Malakas! [Video]. Youtube. (40:54 min.)
- Practice in Participation. (2013, July 16-17). Community based monitoring. [4-part video].