Marie Michael Library
Advocacy: Increasing Citizen Voice and Agency
Advocacy Approaches and Organizational Readiness
- Guénéheux, D. & Bottomley, A. (Eds.). (2014). Accountability for civil society by civil society: A guide to self-regulation initiatives. Johannesburg, South Africa: CIVICUS.
Exploring Key Concepts and Analyzing Power
- Civicus. (2018). State of civil society report 2018: Year in review: top ten trends. Johannesburg, South Africa: Civicus. (1.99 Mb pdf)
- Economist Intelligence Unit. (2018). The Economist Intelligence Unit’s democracy index.
- Freedom House. (2018). Freedom in the world 2018. Washington, DC: Freedom House. (4.67 Mb pdf)
- Luttrell, C., et al. (2007). The power cube explained (Empowerment note no. 3). (252K pdf)
- Menocal, A. R. (2013). Ten things to know about democracy and elections.
- Open Society Foundations. (2015). Shrinking civic spaces [Video file]. (5:35 min.)
- Oxfam GB. (2014). Quick guide to power analysis. Oxford, UK: Oxfam GB.
- Powercube: Understanding power for social change.
- Transnational Institute. (2016). Rethinking shrinking space [Video file]. (7:32 min.)
Exploring Governance, Strategic Advocacy Planning, Problem Definition and Issue Framing
- VeneKlasen, L. & Miller, V. (2002). Constructing empowering strategies. In A new weave of power, people and politics: The action guide for advocacy and citizen participation (pp. 59-78). Rugby, Warwickshire, UK: Practical Action. (StFX only)
Defining Advocacy Goals and Objectives and Identifying Stakeholders
- The Policy Project. (1999). Issues, goals and objectives: Building the foundation. In Networking for policy change: An advocacy training manual. Washington, DC: The Policy Project. (62K pdf)
- VeneKlasen, L. & Miller, V. (2007). Planning moment no. 5: Mapping advocacy strategies. In A new weave of power, people & politics: The action guide for advocacy and citizen participation. Bourton-on-Dunsmore, Warwickshire, UK: Practical Action. (1.98 Mb pdf)
Exploring Advocacy Strategies, Tactics and Tools: Building the Constituency for Change
- Civil resistance 2.0: 198 nonviolent methods upgraded. (2018, September 23). This project revisits Gene Sharp’s 198 methods within the context of new digital technologies and social media.
- Hughes, M. (2010). Leadership from a dancing guy [Video file]. (3:00 min.)
- Sharp, G. (1973). 198 methods of nonviolent action.
Co-operation and Education Strategies
- Birdbox Studio. (2012). Wildebeest from Birdbox Studio [Video file]. (59 sec.)
- Green, D. (2017, January 25). What makes networks tick? Learning from (a lot of) experience [Blog post].
- Organisational learning. (2008). Capacity.org, 33. (777K pdf)
- Raynor, J., et al. (2011). What makes an effective coalition? Evidence-based indicators of success. Los Angeles, CA: The California Endowment. (1.47 Mb pdf)
- Social Justice Coalition. (2016). Kak struggle: Cape Town’s unfair budget [Video file]. (10:27 min.)
Exploring Advocacy in Action
- Arcadiapictures. (2018, July 4). Pulp mill troubles in Pictou, Nova Scotia [Video file]. (9:32 min.)
- Bernard, B. (2014, April 10). A’se’k: The other room (Boat Harbour) [Video file]. (18:49 min.)
- CBC News. (2018, July 6). Northern Pulp protesters rally on boats [Video file]. (27:36 min.)
- Friends of the Northumberland Strait is a community group concerned about Northern Pulp’s proposed wastewater treatment facility and their plan to discharge treated effluent directly into the Strait.
- Moore, M. (2018, July 9). Historic Save the Northumberland Strait #NoPipeRally [Blog post].
- Tremonti, A. M. (Host) with Lynch, L. (Guest host). (2018, October 29). The Current [Radio program]. Toronto, ON: CBC Radio.
- Withers, P. (2018, November 9). McNeil plea for peace triggers protest in Pictou County. CBC News.
- Withers, P. (2018, November 13). Northern Pulp admits it is likely to miss 2020 effluent deadline. CBC News.
Persuasion through Designing Effective Messages and Lobbying
- AhramOnline. (2011). Murals for martyrs: Street art of the Egyptian revolution [Video file]. (4:31 min.)
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. (2009). It’s our money. Where’s it gone? [Video file]. (18:08 min.)
- HarassMap works to engage all of Egyptian society to create an environment that does not tolerate sexual harassment.
- Hilzinger, G. (2012). Troy library: Book burning party [Video file]. (2:52 min.)
- Matheson, K., et al. (2016). Video as evidence: Field guide. Download the complete guide or individual sections.
- Mayne, R., Green, D., Guijt, I., Walsh, M., English, R., & Cairney, P. (2018). Using evidence to influence policy: Oxfam’s experience. Palgrave Communications, 4.
- Rainforest Alliance. (2012). Follow the frog [Video file]. (3:09 min.)
Using the Media and Litigation Strategies
- Farrell, H. (2016, May 19). The Chinese government fakes nearly 450 million social media comments a year. This is why. The Washington Post.
- Freedom House. (2017). Freedom of the press 2017. Washington, DC: Freedom House.
- Danish Institute for Human Rights. (n.d.). Human rights guide to the sustainable development goals.
- Berry, A., Quinn, L. S., & Colton, L. (2012). Nonprofit social media policy workbook. [n.l.]: Idealware. (2.26 Mb pdf)
- Rosenblatt, G. (2010). The engagement pyramid: Six levels of connecting people and social change [Blog post].
- Smith, E. (2016, April 6). In central Africa, citizens are using social media to build democracy. Here’s how. The Washington Post.
- Stone, C. (2013, June 13). The power of rights [Blog post].
- Tactical Technology Collective. (2014). Security in-a-box: Community focus: digital security tools and tactics for the African LGBT community. (3.09 Mb pdf)
- Ultralized. (2009). The story of human rights [Video file]. (9:51 min.)
- United Nations. (2018). Human rights by country.
- UPR Info. (2018). Database of recommendations.
Confrontation Strategies, and Monitoring and Evaluating Advocacy
- Ashfield, J. (2017). Syrian artist depicts Trump and other leaders as refugees [Video file] (1:02 min.)
- Coffman, J. (2010). Monitoring and evaluating advocacy: Companion to the advocacy toolkit. New York: Unicef. (2.68 Mb pdf)
- Martin, B. (2012, February 26). Backfire basics. (1.49 Mb pdf)
- Workstation1. (2015). OTPOR! Bringing down a dictator (English version) [Video file] (55:35 min.)
- The children behind our cotton. (2007). London: Environmental Justice Foundation. (1.96 Mb pdf)
- Christiansen, C. (2008). Uploading dissonance: YouTube and the US occupation of Iraq. Media, War & Conflict, 1(2), 155-175. (StFX only)
- Cornwall, A. (2008). Democratising engagement: What the UK can learn from international experience. London: Demos. (372K pdf)
- Dechalert, P. (1999). NGOs, advocacy and popular protest: A case study of Thailand (International working paper series, no. 6). London: Centre for Civil Society.
- Fowler, A., Goold, L. & James, R. (1995). Participatory self assessment of NGO capacity (Occasional papers series no. 10). Oxford: INTRAC. (835K pdf)
- Gaventa, J. & Rootes, C. (2007). From local to global (ESRC Seminar Series: Mapping the public policy landscape). Swindon: Economic and Social Research Council. (366K pdf)
- How to respond to opposition tactics, Community Tool Box.
- Klugman, B. (2010). Evaluating social justice advocacy: A values based approach. Published by the Center for Evaluation Innovation. (335K pdf)
- Laney, M. L., Scobie, J. & Fraser, A. (1999). Monitoring and evaluating advocacy (Guidance notes series 6). London: BOND.
- Menocal, A. R. (2013). Emerging democracies: Rising to the challenge (ODI briefing paper 84). (397K pdf)
- Pallas, S. & Miggiano, L. (2012). Women’s legal empowerment: Lessons learned from community-based activities (International Land Coalition Briefing Note).
- Save the Children. (n.d.). Monitoring and evaluating advocacy. (5.07 Mb pdf)
- Start, D. & Hovland, I. (2004). Tools for policy impact: A handbook for researchers. London: Research and Policy in Development Programme. (611K pdf)
- Stein, M. Using mobile phones in electoral and voter registration campaigns (Strategy guide no. 1). K. Verclas, (Ed.). Amherst, MA: Mobile Active. (511K pdf)
- Tsui, J., Hearn, S. & Young, J. (2014). Monitoring and evaluation of policy influence and advocacy (Working paper no. 395). London: ODI. (1.81 Mb pdf)
- Wood, A. & Barnes, J. (2007). Making poverty the story: Time to involve the media in poverty reduction. London: Panos London. (1.05 Mb pdf)
Organizations and Resources
- Advocacy Accelerator provides platforms for advocates and their supporters to share evidence, approaches, and expertise.
- CIVICUS provides information about power analysis.
- Communication Initiative Network
- Democratic Audit is an independent research organization which audits democracy and human rights in the UK.
- Global Nonviolent Action Database provides free access to information about nonviolent action from all continents and most countries.
- GrantCraft works to improve the capacity of the social sector through data-driven tools and access to knowledge.
- International Center on Nonviolent Conflict educates the global public through media, influences policies and media coverage, and educates activists and organizers through seminars and workshops.
- Nepal Participatory Action Network (NEPAN) provides information about advocacy for the poor and underprivileged issues.
- Participedia strengthens democracy through shared knowledge. This site contains a database of crowd-sourced data on democratic innovations.
- Peace Women, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom.
- Radio Africa increases the knowledge and skills of radio broadcasters, encourages government officials to communicate more effectively, and improves communication flow.
- Waging Nonviolence, people-powered news and analysis.
- Witness: See it. Film it. Change it empowers people to transform personal stories of abuse into tools for justice, public engagement and policy change.
International Advocacy Campaigns
- Child Soldiers International
- Friends of River Narmada
- Global Campaign for Peace Education
- International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA)
- International Campaign to Ban Landmines
- Jubilee Debt Campaign, a global movement to break the chains of debt.
- Kairos Canada: Faithful action for justice, collaboration of faith-based social justice organisations.
Manuals and Toolkits
- Afkhami, M. & Eisenberg, A. (2010). Leading to action: A political participation handbook for women. Bethesda, MD: Women’s Learning Partnership.
- Cinco, C. & Aquino, E. (2011). Strategising online activism: A toolkit. [n.l.]: Association for Progressive Communications Women’s Networking Support Programme (APC WNSP). (1.33 Mb pdf)
- Cohen, D., et al. (2010). Advocacy toolkit: A guide to influencing decisions that improve children’s lives (1st ed.). New York: UNICEF. (2.44 Mb pdf)
- Curry-Stevens, A. (2003). An educator’s guide for changing the world: Methods, models and materials for anti-oppression and social justice workshops. Toronto: Centre for Social Justice.
- Emerson, J. (2008). Visualizing information for advocacy: An introduction to information design. [n.l.]: Backspace. This manual aims at helping NGOs and advocates strengthen their campaigns and projects through communicating information with greater impact. (6.87 Mb pdf)
- Golding, S., et al. (2012). Tax justice advocacy: A toolkit for civil society. London: Christian Aid.
- Hambuba, C. & Kagoiya, R. (Ed.). (2009). Freedom of Information (FOI) & women’s rights in Africa: A collection of case studies from Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, South Africa and Zambia. Nairobi: FEMNET. (3.02 Mb pdf)
- Hunjan, R. & Pettit, J. (2011). Power: A practical guide for facilitating social change. Dunfermline, Fife: Carnegie United Kingdom Trust.
- Innovation Network. (n.d.). Pathfinder: A practical guide to advocacy evaluation: evaluator edition. Washington, DC: Innovation Network. (1.39 Mb pdf)
- Jones, H. (2011). A guide to monitoring and evaluating policy influence (ODI background note). London: ODI. (147K pdf)
- Mendel, T. (2009). The right to information in Latin America: A comparative legal survey. Quito, Ecuador: UNESCO. This document illustrates the approach taken to enacting right to information legislation in eleven Latin American countries. (4.99 Mb pdf)
- Nash, R., Hudson, A., & Luttrell, C. (2006). Mapping political context: A toolkit for civil society organisations. London: ODI. (434K pdf)
- Organizational Research Services. (2004). A practical guide to documenting influence and leverage in Making Connections communities. Seattle, WA: ORS. (574K pdf)
- Subedi, N.R. (2008). Advocacy strategies and approaches: A resource manual (2nd ed.). Kathmandu: ICIMOD. This manual provides information about concept and context of advocacy. (1.07 Mb pdf)
- Subedi, N.R. (2008). Advocacy strategies and approaches: A training of trainers manual (2nd ed.). Kathmandu: ICIMOD. This manual provides a five-day training package with handouts and training processes. (1.39 Mb pdf)