Marie Michael Library
Conflict Transformation & Peacebuilding for Community Development
Online course, January 18 – March 21, 2021
- East Coast Credit Union. (2020). The story of the Antigonish Movement [Video]. Youtube. A six-part video series of the film You can do it! The story of the Antigonish Movement.
Week 1: Introduction (January 18 – 22)
- TEDWomen. (2016). Kimberlé Crenshaw: The urgency of intersectionality [Video]. TED.com. (18:41 min.)
Week 2: Conflict, Self and Communication (January 23 – 29)
Week 3: Examining Peace (January 30 – February 5)
- Carter School for Peace and Conflict Resolution. (2019, November 13). Critical conversation with Roger MacGinty: The concept and practice of everyday peace [Video]. Youtube. (44:25 min.)
- Firchow, P. (2020). World peace is local peace. Ethics & International Affairs, 34(1), 57-65. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0892679420000088 (StFX only)
- Laruni, E., Toogood, K., & Holdaway, L. (2020, December). Can we build peace from a distance? The impact of COVID-19 on the peacebuilding sector (Background paper). International Alert.
Week 4: Analysis Tools (February 6 – 12)
- Center for Nonviolent Communication. (2005). Feelings inventory.
- Center for Nonviolent Communication. (2005). Needs inventory.
- Competendo. (n.d.). The ABC triangle.
Week 5: Conflict Transformation Practice (February 13 – 19)
- Facilitated Solutions. (2019, March 25). Perspective check [Video]. Youtube. (3:43 min.)
- TEDGlobal. (2009, July). The danger of a single story: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie [Video]. TED Talks. (18:34 min.)
- TEDx Talks. (2017, December 11). Finding confidence in conflict: Kwame Christian: TEDxDayton [Video]. Youtube. (11:26 min.)
Week 6: Care, Health, and Peace (February 20 – 26)
- Berghoff Foundation. (2020, June 16). Prospects for peace amid a global pandemic.
- Canadian Nurses Association. (2009). Peace and health [Factsheet]. (262K pdf)
- International Alert. (2020). COVID-19 peacebuilding response.
- Laruni, E., Toogood, K., & Holdaway, L. (2020, December). Can we build peace from a distance? The impact of COVID-19 on the peacebuilding sector [Background paper]. International Alert.
- Saferworld. (2020). “People are living a normal life”: Challenging the myths of COVID-19 in South Sudan.
- Vaittinen, T., Donahoe, A., Kunz, R., Bára Ómarsdóttir, S., & Roohi, S. (2019). Care as everyday peacebuilding. Peacebuilding, 7(2), 194-209. https://doi.org/10.1080/21647259.2019.1588453 (StFX only)
Week 7: Asset-Based Community Peacebuilding (February 27 – March 5)
- Cutts, T., Olivier, J., Lazarus, S., Taliep, N., Cochrane, J. R., Seedat, M., van Reenen, R., Hendricks, C., & Carelse, H. (2016). Community asset mapping for violence prevention: A comparison of views in Erijaville, South Africa and Memphis, USA. African Safety Promotion: A Journal of Injury and Violence Prevention, 14(1).
- Mathie, A., Cameron, J., & Gibson, K. (2017). Asset-based and citizen-led development: Using a diffracted power lens to analyze the possibilities and challenges. Progress in Development Studies, 17(1),54-66. (StFX only)
- Neustaeter, R. (2007). Community peace asset mapping: Rereading our world, rereading ourselves [Round table]. Adult Education Research Conference, Halifax, NS.
- Russell, C. (n.d.). Asset-based community development: At a glance. Vibrant Communities & Tamarack Institute. (376K pdf)
Week 8: Conflict And Peace Learning and Education (March 6 – 12)
- Coming soon…