Marie Michael Library
Development Evaluation for Social Impact
Online course (October 19 – November 29, 2020)
- Beer, T. (2019, July 1). Are you really ready for developmental evaluation? You may have to get out of your own way [Blog post]. Centre for Evaluation Innovation.
- Cobb, M., & Donnelly, G. (2015). Community-based, participatory, and developmental evaluation approaches: An introductory toolkit (1st ed.). Ecology Action Centre. (3.60 Mb pdf)
- Farris, T., Forouzan, L., & Pudrzynska Paul, D. (2011). Community research: A community research lab toolkit. Advancement Project, Healthy City. (2.24 Mb pdf)
- Svenson, K., Szijarto, B., Milley, P., & Cousins, J. B. (2018). Evaluating social innovations: Implications for evaluation design. American Journal of Evaluation, 39(4), 459–477. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1098214018763553 (StFX only)
- Thomas, V. G., & Parsons, B. A. (2017). Culturally responsive evaluation meets systems-oriented evaluation. American Journal of Evaluation, 38(1), 7–28. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1098214016644069 (StFX only)
Other Course Materials
- YaleUniversity. (2015, June 23). Fundamentals of qualitative research methods: Interviews (module 3) [Video]. YouTube. (22:16 min.)
- YaleUniversity. (2015, June 23). Fundamentals of qualitative research methods: Focus groups (module 4) [Video]. YouTube. (21:36 min.)
- YaleUniversity. (2015, June 23). Fundamentals of qualitative research methods: Data analysis (module 5) [Video]. YouTube. (17:11 min.)
- Becker, K. L., & Renger, R. (2017). Suggested guidelines for writing reflective case narratives: Structure and indicators. American Journal of Evaluation, 38(1), 138–150. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1098214016664025 (StFX only)
- Better Evaluation. (2012). Budgeting for developmental evaluation. (92K pdf)
- Czechowski, K., Sylvestre, J., & Moreau, K. (2019). Secure data handling: An essential competence for evaluators. Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation, 34(1), 139–151.
- Dozois, E., Langlois, M., & Blanchet-Cohen, N. (2010). DE 201: A practitioner’s guide to developmental evaluation. J. W. McConnell Foundation. (487K pdf)
- Freer, G., & Lemire, S. (2019). Can’t see the wood for the logframe: Integrating logframes and theories of change in developmental evaluation. Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation, 33(3), 336–353.
- Gamble, J. A. A. (2008). A developmental evaluation primer. J. W. McConnell Family Foundation. (1.04 Mb pdf)
- Lam, C. Y., & Shulha, L. M. (2015). Insights on using developmental evaluation for innovating: A case study on the cocreation of an innovative program. American Journal of Evaluation, 36(3), 358–374. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1098214014542100 (StFX only)
- SFU Continuing Studies. (2012, May 4). Planning and evaluating for social change: An evening at SFU with Michael Quinn Patton, part one [Video]. YouTube. (87:19 min.)
- Szijarto, B., & Cousins, J. B. (2019). Mapping the practice of developmental evaluation: Insights from a concept mapping study. Evaluation and Program Planning, 76, 1–12. doi: 10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2019.05.001 (StFX only)