Marie Michael Library
Climate Change & Food Security
- Bell-Sheeter, A. (2004). Food sovereignity assessment tool. First Nations Development Institute. (2.17 Mb pdf)
- Center for Global Development. (2011). Mapping the impacts of climate change. These maps display country rankings of climate change for the following factors: extreme weather, sea level rise, agricultural productivity loss and overall.
- Fook, A. (2011). Gender, IFIs, and food insecurity. Published by Gender Action. (1.28 Mb pdf)
- The Gaia Foundation works against climate change in Africa, South America, Asia and Europe by regenerating ecosystems, enhancing traditional knowledge and practices and strengthening community self-governance.
- Government Office for Science. (2011). The future of food and farming: Challenges and choices for global sustainability: final project report. (4.26 Mb pdf)
- Institute for Food and Development Policy / Food First analyzes the causes of global hunger, poverty, and ecological degradation and develops solutions.
- Naylor, R. & Falcon. W. (2008). Our daily bread. Boston Review, p. 13-18.
- Naylor, R., et al. (2007). The ripple effect: Biofuels, food security and the environment. Environment, 49(9), 31-43. (StFX only)
- Pettit, J. (2004). Climate justice: A new social movement for atmospheric rights. IDS Bulletin, 35(3), 102-106. (StFX only)
- Portier, C.J., et al. (2010). A human health perspective on climate change: A report outlining the research needs on the human health effects of climate change. Published by Environmental Health Perspectives and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. (5.0 Mb pdf)
- Reid, H., et al. (Eds.). (2009). Community-based adaptation to climate change. (Participatory Learning and Action 60). Published by IIED. (1.37 Mb pdf)
- Reynolds, L. & Nierenberg, D. (2012). Innovations in sustainable agriculture: Supporting climate-friendly food production. (Worldwatch report 188). Washington, DC: Worldwatch Institute. (1.30 Mb pdf)
- United Nations. (2010). Climate change: Food and nutrition security implications. SCN News, no. 38. (5.42 Mb pdf)
- WHO. (2011). Health in the green economy: Health co-benefits of climate change mitigation: housing sector. (3.13 Mb pdf)
- WHYHunger is a leader in the fight against global hunger and poverty. It strives to end hunger and poverty by connecting people to nutritious, affordable food and by supporting grassroots initiatives that inspire community empowerment.
Food Security / Nutrition
- Bailey, R. (2011). Growing a better future: Food justice in a resource-constrained world. Published by Oxfam.
- Bunting, M. (2011, January 21). How can we feed the world and still save the planet? [Web log].
- Global hunger index is designed to measure and track hunger globally and by country and region. Published by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hansen-Kuhn, K. (2011). Making U.S. trade policy serve global food security goals. Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP).
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers. (2013). Global food: Waste not, want not. With the global population growing, mankind needs to ensure it has the food resources available to feed all these people. Engineers need to promote sustainable ways of reducing waste from the farm to the supermarket and to the consumer.
- Kickbusch, I., et al. (2010). The food system: A prism of present and future challenges for health promotion and sustainable development. (1.92 Mb pdf)
- Patel, R. (2013, June 12). G8 vision for tackling hunger wilfully ignores the politics of malnutrition. [Web log]. The Guardian.
- Van de Poel, E. , et al. (2008). Socioeconomic inequality in malnutrition in developing countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 86(4). (766K pdf)
- Right to Food, resources from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
- The Right to Food and Nutrition Watch, annual publication by FIAN International, et al.
- The state of food insecurity in the world, annual editions published by FAO.
- United Nations Standing Committee on Nutrition. (2010). Progress in nutrition: 6th report on the world nutrition situation. (2.08 Mb pdf)
- World hunger series: Hunger and markets is the third volume in the World Food Programme’s World Hunger Series.
- WHO. (2000). Nutrition for Health and Development: A Global Agenda for Combating Malnutrition. (416K pdf)
- People’s Knowledge Editorial Collective. (Eds.). (2017). Everyday experts: How people’s knowledge can transform the food system. Coventry, UK: Coventry University. (13.89 Mb pdf)
- Brady, J. (2014). Local sustainable food systems: Ensuring food for today and our future. [Ontario]: HC Link. (3.06 Mb pdf)
- Community food security. In Wikipedia.
- FAO. (2013). Resilient livelihoods: Disaster risk reduction for food and nutrition security. (2.27 Mb pdf)
- Food Action Research Centre (FoodARC), located at Mount Saint Vincent University, is committed to research and action to build food security in Nova Scotia and beyond.
- Food Secure Canada. (2010). Food democracy and governance: Towards a people’s food policy process. (Discussion paper 10). (620K pdf)
- Hassanein, N. (2003). Practicing food democracy: A pragmatic politics of transformation. Journal of Rural Studies, 19, 77-86. (StFX only)
- IDS. (2012). Standing on the threshold: Food justice in India. [Podcast].
- Sachs, C. & Alston, M. (2010). Global shifts, sedimentations, and imaginaries: An introduction to the special issue on women and agriculture. Signs, 35(2), 277-287. (StFX only)
- Sahan, E. & Mikhail, M. (2012). Private investment in agriculture: Why it’s essential and what’s needed. Published by Oxfam International.
- Shackleton, C. M., Pasquini, M. W. & Drescher, A. W. (Eds.). (2009). African indigenous vegetables in urban agriculture. London: Earthscan. (3.16 Mb pdf)
- Chapter 2: Urban and peri-urban agriculture in African cities (p. 35-58).
- Chapter 8: Integration of urban agriculture into spatial planning (p. 245-267).
- Swain, B. (2012, July 16). Fighting for food security in India. [Web log]. The Guardian.
- TEDx Talks. (2012). Impact is a moment: Kurt Higgins at TEDxYork U 2012. [Video file]. (12:47 min.)
- United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food
- La Via Campesina, international peasant’s movement.
- IDS. (2012). Standing on the threshold: Food justice in India, IDS Director Lawrence Haddad and Oxfam India’s Biraj Swain discuss the new IDS Bulletin on food justice in India. [Video]. (6:19 min.)
- The world according to Monsanto, a documentary about biotech company Monsanto’s control over the seed and food chain. [Video]. (109 min.)