Marie Michael Library
Indigenous Women in Community Leadership
Aboriginal Studies, StFX’s Angus L. Macdonald Library offers a Subject Guide divided into Nova Scotian, Canadian, and global categories.
Report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples
Truth & Reconciliation Commission on Residential Schools, Coady courselinks.
Leadership Development Programs
- Aboriginal Healing Foundation ceased operations on September 30, 2014. Resources are archived on the website.
- Assembly of First Nations
- Assembly of First Nations Women’s Council (AFNWC)
- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- Métis National Council
- Native Women’s Association of Canada
- Righting Relations National Hub
- Aboriginal Financial Officers Association of Canada
- Canadian Executive Service Organization (CESO)
- Indigenous Leadership and Management programs, Banff Centre
- Indigenous Leadership Development Institute (ILDI)
Provincial Leadership Development Programs
- British Columbia
- Aboriginal Mapping Network, how to do different types of maps.
- Atlantic Policy Congress of First Nations Chiefs Secretariat (APCFNC). (2011). APCFNC Elders Project: Honouring traditional knowledge 2009 – 2011. (3.05 Mb pdf)
- Bank of I.D.E.A.S. (n.d.). 10 key community development beliefs. (54K pdf)
- Barefoot Collective. (2009). Barefoot guide to working with organizations and social change.
- Bernard, N. (2018, March 10). Slow cooked dreams promo video [Video file]. (2:19 min.)
- Blas, E., Sommerfeld, J. & Sivasandara Kurup, A. (Eds.). (2011). Social determinants approaches to public health: From concept to practice. (3.41 Mb pdf)
- Building Assets and Agency for Citizen-Led Development (ABCD), certificate course offered by the Coady Institute.
- Comprehensive community planning training program materials from the Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources (CIER).
- Coady Institute. (2018, October 9). Sadi’s video [Video file]. (9:14 min.)
- Four Worlds Center for Development Learning, publications available for download.
- INAC. (2009). Community stories: Aboriginal successes in British Columbia. Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada.
- Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre, located in Winnipeg, MB, is a strength and value-based family resource centre delivering community-based programs and services and creating community-based solutions that build local capacity for self-care.
- McBride, J., MacDonell, G., Smoke, C. & Sanderson, C. (2002). Rebuilding First Nations: Tools, traditions and relationships. Burnaby, BC: Simon Fraser University. (797K pdf)
- Medicine Wheel Evaluation Framework describes how to set balanced goals, identify and gather balancing monitoring and evaluation feedback. (307K pdf)
- Millar, A. & Rappaport, L. (2009). Winnipeg’s best-kept secret: A community development vision for Sherbrook Pool.
- National Aboriginal Forestry Association. (n.d.). Capacity assessment guide: Survey and model resource plan. (1.23 Mb pdf)
- National Centre for First Nations Governance (NCFNG). The governance toolkit: Resources.
- Nunavut Planning Commission (NPC), mapping processes for land co-management planning and policy making.
- Ortiz, J., Broad, G. & Bobiwash, L. (2005). Community strategic planning toolkit. Sault Ste. Marie: Algoma University College. (3.28 Mb pdf)
- Publications are available for download from the ABCD Institute, DePaul University in Chicago, IL.
- Silver, J. (2009). We all work together to help one another: The story of Ma Mawi. Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. (474K pdf)
- Silver, J., Ghorayshi, P., Hay, J., & Klyne, D. (2006). In a voice of their own: Urban Aboriginal community development. Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. (1.03 Mb pdf)
- Stories Matter, free software for recording, editing and transcribing oral histories.
- Symington, A. (2004). Intersectionality: A tool for social and economic justice (Women’s Rights and Economic Change, no. 9). Toronto: AWID.
Communication and Facilitation Skills
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada. (2015). First Nations Communications Toolkit. (3.99 Mb pdf)
- Ayers Institute. (2019). EduToolbox: Suggestion circles.
- BiggerPictureVideo. (2013). Learning graphic facilitation – 7 elements by Bigger Picture [Video file]. (4:26 min.)
- Compassion Coach. (2018, May 20). When to use “I” statements [Blog post].
- Corrigan, C. (2015). Facilitation resources.
- MindToolsVideos. (2015, June 12). Improve your listening skills with active listening [Video file]. (2:39 min.)
- Ontario Native Women’s Association. (n.d.). Facilitators guide to effective workshops (Volume 1). Thunder Bay, ON: ONWA. (437K pdf)
- Swanson, J. (2006). A model for Aboriginal facilitation: An open, empowering way to get consensus and action. Journal of Aboriginal Management, 3, 10-14. (192K pdf)
- TED-Ed. (2016, February 22). How miscommunication happens (and how to avoid it) – Katherine Hampsten [Video file]. (4:32 min.)
- Cape Breton University. (2014). Two-eyed seeing [Video file]. (8:44 min.)
- CBC Short Docs. (n.d.). Peace River rising [Video file]. (9:36 min.)
- TEDx Talks. (2015, March 10). Resilience and the power of one | Monique Gray Smith | TEDxLangleyED [Video file]. (15:45 min.)
- TEDx Talks. (2015, July 14). Building resilient communities: A moral responsibility: Nick Tilsen, TEDxRapidCity [Video file]. (14:54 min.)
Conflict Management In Indigenous Contexts
- BearPaw Legal. (2014, April 28). Lateral violence [Video file]. (19:57 min.)
- Conflict resolution and negotiation. (2014). Journal of Aboriginal Management, 15. (3.98 Mb pdf)
- Sikka, N., Wong, G., & Bell, C. (n.d.). Indigenous centred conflict resolution processes in Canada. (418K pdf)
- Tait, P. L. (2007). Systems of conflict resolution within First Nations communities: Honouring the elders, honouring the knowledge. Research paper for the National Centre for First Nations Governance. (380K pdf)
- Victor, W. (2007). Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in Aboriginal contexts: A critical review. Paper prepared for the Canadian Human Rights Commission. (145K pdf)
Gender and Power
- Gaventa, J. (2006). Finding the spaces for change: A power analysis. IDS Bulletin, 37(6), 23-33. (120K pdf)
- Monkman, L. (2017, December 1). Indigenous feminism: What is it and what does the future hold?
- Wilbur, M., & Keene, A. (2019, February 26). All my relations and indigenous feminism [Audio podcast].
- TEDGlobal 2009. (2009, July). The danger of a single story: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie [Video file]. (18:35 min.)
- Thunder Valley CDC was inspired by a group of youth and young families that were reconnecting to cultural spirituality and identity through spiritual ceremonies. We are a grassroots community development corporation that is guided by the needs and ideas of our community.
Indigenous Women, Leadership, and the Law
- Arnait Nipingit Women’s Leadership Summit, women share views through a blog and video.
- Assembly of First Nations Women’s Council. (2014). Promoting empowerment, equity and leadership. Submitted for the 4th National Aboriginal Women’s Summit, Membertou, NS, October 19-22. (204K pdf)
- Cutruzzula, K. (2018, September 6). How to build closer relationships [Blog post].
- Hanson, E. (2009). Marginalization of Aboriginal women.
- Indigenous women leaders’ case studies and videos, Coady Institute.
- McNab, M. (2006, February 7). Indigenous women’s issues in Canada. The Canadian Encyclopedia.
- Reclaiming power and place: The final report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
- Stohs, L. (2013, October 27). Leadership: The importance of being self-aware [Video file]. (6:47 min.)
- Turtle Island Native Network News: Women, news stories, blogs and websites by and about Aboriginal women.
Indigenous Women Timeline and Herstory Resources
- Simpson, S. (2018, June 20). Indigenous firsts: 14 Indigenous women to know on national Indigenous Peoples day [Blog post].
- Simpson, S. (n.d.). Female, Indigenous, born in Northern Turtle Island (aka Canada) and first to… [Blog post]. (355K pdf)
- Barrett, M. (2014, January 21). What exactly is the mentor’s role? What is the mentee’s? [Blog post].
- Sinclair, R. & Pooyak, S. (2007). Aboriginal mentoring in Saskatoon: A cultural perspective. Saskatoon: Indigenous Peoples’ Health Research Centre. (1.13 Mb pdf)
Personal Leadership Development
- Jansen Kraemer Jr., H. M. (2011, April 26). The only true leadership is values-based leadership [Blog post].
- TED Talk. (2009). Itay Talgam: Lead like the great conductors [Video file]. (20:45 min.).
Power and Good Governance
- Jefferson, C. (1994). Conquest by law. Originally written in 1978, one of the most comprehensive reports describing the impact of western settlement on traditional forms of justice among Aboriginal Peoples across Canada.
- Morellato, M. (2008). The crown’s constitutional duty to consult and accommodate Aboriginal and treaty rights. Ottawa: National Centre for First Nations Governance. (472K pdf)
- National Centre for First Nations Governance (NCFNG). (n.d.). The governance toolkit: The people.
- New Relationship Trust. (2009). Best practices for consultation and accommodation report. (323K pdf)
- New Relationship Trust. (2009). Governance best practices report. (1.83 Mb pdf)
Social Media, Collectives and Social Change
- Bolsinger, K., et al. (2018). The beginner’s guide to social media.
- Marr, B. (2015, June 2). How to create a killer LinkedIn profile that will get you noticed [Blog post].
- Palmater, P. (2017, June 6). Indigenous women warriors are the heart of indigenous resistance [Blog post].
- Tennant, Z. (2019, September 20). ‘A mountain of power’: The impact of Cindy Blackstock.
- Warrior Life. (2019). Native women warriors are the heart of the resistance [Audio podcast].
- American Heart Association. (n.d.). Consensus-based decision-making processes. (329K pdf)
- Collard, M. (2012, September 16). Group energiser, warm-up, fun game – jump in jump out [Video file]. (3:39 min.)
- Findlay, I. M., & Wuttunee, W. (2007). Aboriginal women’s community economic development: Measuring and promoting success. Choices, 13(4). (210K pdf)
- Four Directions Teachings celebrates Indigenous oral traditions by listening as each elder or traditional teacher shares a teaching from their perspective on the richness and value of cultural traditions from their nation.
- From the Heart: Enter into the journey of reconciliation, a 2013 theatre production created by an ensemble of non-Indigenous Canadians telling transformative stories that have deepened the understanding about the lived experiences of Indigenous peoples in Canada. The show encouraged dialogue about what it might mean for non-Indigenous people to take responsibility for learning more about Indigenous history as a step toward standing in solidarity with First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people.
- Kenny, C., & Fraser, T. (2013). Living Indigenous leadership: Native narratives on building strong communities. Vancouver, BC: UBC Press. Sample chapter available.
- Mi’kmawey Debert Cultural Centre is currently in the planning stage and will be built in Debert, Nova Scotia.
- Mind Tools. (2018). Resolving team conflict: Building stronger teams by facing your differences [Blog post].
- Nova Scotia Government. (2019, January 9). “We are all Treaty people” [Video file]. (13:03 min.)
- NWAC. (n.d.). Aboriginal lateral violence. (1.77 Mb pdf)
- Seeds for Change. (2013). A consensus handbook: Co-operative decision-making for activists, co-ops and communities. [UK]: Seeds for Change Lancaster Co-operative. (9.78 Mb pdf)
- Sengupta, U., Vieta, M.m & McMurtry, J. J. (2015). Indigenous communities and social enterprise in Canada: Incorporating culture as an essential ingredient of social entrepreneurship. Canadian Journal of Nonprofit and Social Economy Research, 6(1), 104-123.
- Simon Fraser University. (2013). Dr. Cindy Blackstock. Blackstock speaks on the topic, “Mosquito advocacy: Effective strategies for tackling structural risks affecting First Nations children.” Video and speech (194K pdf) available for download.
- Stachowiak, S. (2013). Pathways for change: 10 theories to inform advocacy and policy change efforts. [n.l.]: Center for Evaluation Innovation.
- TEDx Talks. (2013, November 26). Introduction to the Maine-Wabanaki: gkisedtanamoogk at TEDxDirigo [Video file]. (17:53 min.)
- Thibodeaux, W. (2017, January 23). 5 reasons people rain on your parade when you’re successful [Blog post].
- Trnka, P. (2015). Talk, negotiate, or blockade? Tactics and strategies for indigenous power. Northern Public Affairs, 3(3).
- Tulk, J. E. (2013). Guiding principles for Aboriginal economic development. Sydney, NS: Cape Breton University. (654K pdf)
- Institute for Integrative Science and Health. (n.d.). Two-eyed seeing.
- United Nations. (2008). United Nations declaration on the rights of Indigenous peoples. (166K pdf)
- United Nations. (2013). Indigenous peoples and the United Nations human rights system (Fact sheet no. 9, rev. 2). New York: United Nations. (702K pdf)
- Wesley-Esquimaux, C. C. & Smolewski, M. (2004). Historic trauma and Aboriginal healing. Ottawa, ON: Aboriginal Healing Foundation. (479K pdf)