Marie Michael Library
Youth and Employment
- Adolescent Girls’ Empowerment, resources from Population Council.
- CONCEPT: The Journal of Contemporary Community Education Practice Theory, Special issue: Concept youth work reader – standing at the crossroads: What future for youth work?
- Understanding Children’s Work. (2005). School-to-work transitions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Preliminary report. (716K pdf)
- UNICEF – Convention on the Rights of the Child is a set of non-negotiable standards and obligations which set minimum entitlements and freedoms that should be respected by governments.
Youth: Health and HIV/AIDS
Capacity Building of Children
- Canadian 4-H Council, provides programs which inspire youth to become leaders in their communities.
- Capacity Building publications, from UNICEF’s Child and youth participation resources.
- Gibbs, S., Mann, G., & Mathers, N. (2002). Child-to-child: A practical guide: empowering children as active citizens. (768K pdf)
Child Labour and Street Children
- Andvig, J.C., Canagarajah, S., & Kielland, A. (2001). Issues in child labor in Africa. (African Region Human Development Working Paper 14). (345K pdf)
- Consortium for Street Children
Community and Youth Development
- Advocates for Youth
- Global Youth Service Day
- HeartWood Centre for Community Youth Development
- The Innovation Center for community and youth development.
- International Child and Youth Care Network (CYC-NET)
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, youth section.
- New Directions for Student Leadership, issues available: 69(1996)-current. (StFX only)
- Taking IT Global
- UNFPA Youth participation and leadership
- Youth Action Net
- Youth Communication helps teenagers develop their reading and writing skills and make responsible choices about their lives.
Girl Child and Education
- 60 million girls, a foundation that supports education for girls.
- Girls’ Education: Basic education and gender equality, UNICEF.
- Oxfam. (2006). Working with the media on gender and education: A guide for training and planning.
- United Nations Girls’ Education Initiative (UNGEI)
Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Brown, E., Collison, B., & Rogers-Currie, N. (2002). Youth and the global HIV/AIDS crisis: A tool-kit for action. (176K pdf)
- HIV InSite, powerful website for youth.
- Public Health Agency of Canada, childhood and adolescence resources.
- Staying Alive Campaign
- Teen Health Source, created by Planned Parenthood of Toronto, contains resources pertaining to youth and sexual and reproductive health.
- Acting with and for Youth, UNESCO.
- Action Aid
- Alliance Youth Network connects young co-operators from different countries and provides an environment where these co-operators can learn more about the co-operative movement.
- Center for Global Development (CGD)
- Development Gateway
- L’Homme, C. & Henriquez, C. (2010). Education, youth and development: UNESCO in Latin America and the Caribbean. Document prepared for the World Youth Conference, Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico. (1.33 Mb pdf)
- Hope or Heartbreak: Aboriginal Youth and Canada’s Future, Horizons, 10(1), 2008. Journal is published by the Policy Research Initiative (PRI). (2.09 Mb pdf)
- Jayawardena, S. (2018). Sustainable development agenda and young people: Recognising voices and claiming rights (ARROW brief). Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: ARROW. (873K pdf)
- Meal Exchange is a national youth-driven organization working for sustainable food systems on campuses and with communities across the country.
- Peace Corps. (2002). Working with youth: Approaches for volunteers. (Information collection and exchange publication no. M0067). Washington, DC: Peace Corps. (2.84 Mb pdf)
- Rheingold, H. (2008). Using participatory media and public voice to encourage civic engagement. In W. L. Bennett (Ed.), Civic life online: Learning how digital media can engage youth, (p. 97-118). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. (146K pdf)
- Foundation for Development Cooperation
- UNESCO. (2004). All different, all unique: Young people and the UNESCO Declaration on Cultural Diversity. (1.46 Mb pdf)
- Voices of Youth, UNICEF’s online place for young people to learn more about issues affecting their world.