Marie Michael Library
Adult Education Research Links
- Conference Proceedings
- Databases and Dictionaries
- Manuals, Training Tools and Resources
- Popular Education and Social Activism Resources
- Research and Writing Support
Adult Education Research Centres and Associations:
Adult Education Information Sources
- Adult Education Research Conference (AERC), full-text proceedings 1993+.
- Adult Higher Education Alliance (AHEA) Conference, full-text proceedings of select years available.
- Canadian Association for the Study of Adult Education (CASAE), full-text procceedings 2001+.
- CONFINTEA VI
- Research-to-Practice Conference in Adult and Higher Education (formerly called the Midwest Research-To-Practice Conference in Adult, Continuing, Community and Extension Education)
- Standing Conference on University Teaching and Research in the Education of Adults (SCUTREA). Full-text papers up to 2012 are available from British Education Index, a database of conference papers and other current research on adult education.
Databases and Dictionaries
- British Education Index – Database of conference papers, working papers and electronic literature on educational research, policy and practice.
- History of Education: Selected moments of the 20th century, compiled by D. Schugurensky.
- Infed: Encyclopaedia of Informal Education
- Oxford Reference Online provides access to a wide range of Oxford Dictionaries, this section focuses on the social sciences with specialized dictionaries for sociology and critical theory. (StFX only)
- Theses Canada Portal, access point for Canadian theses and dissertations.
- Speech given by Murray Thomson at an event on December 4, 2012 in recognition of his 90th birthday. He presents his experiences of adult education, peace and social justice, and recounts a meeting with Moses Coady. (19:08 min.)
Journals (use your StFX username and password to log in to StFX only journals)
- Action Research, issues available: 1(2003) – current. (StFX only)
- Adult Education and Development, issues available: 54(2000) – current.
- Adult Education Quarterly, issues available: 1(1950) – current. (StFX only)
- The Adult Learner, issues available: 1989, 1999 – current.
- Adult Learning, issues available: 1(1989) – current. (StFX only)
- Canadian Journal of Higher Education, issues available: 1(1971) – current.
- Canadian Journal for the Study of Adult Education, issues available: 1(1987) – current.
- Canadian Journal of University Continuing Education, issues available: 21(1995) – current.
- Concept: The Journal of Contemporary Community Education Practice Theory, issues available: 1(2010) – current.
- Convergence, issues available: 35:1(2002)-42:2-4(2009). (StFX only)
- Dialogues in Social Justice: An Adult Education Journal, issues available: 1(2016)-current.
- International Journal of E-Learning & Distance Education (formerly the Journal of Distance Education), issues available: 1(1986) – current.
- International Journal of Lifelong Education, issues available: 16(1997) – current. (StFX only)
- International Review of Education, issues available: 43(1997) – current. (StFX only)
- Back issues, 1(1955) – 57(2011). (StFX only)
- International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, issues available: 1(2000) – current.
- Journal of Adult and Continuing Education, issues available: 8(2002) – current. (StFX only)
- Journal of Extension (JOE), is published by the U.S. Cooperative Extension System. It is a research and knowledge base for Extension professionals and other adult educators. Issues available: 1963 – current.
- Journal of Transformative Education, issues available: 1(2003) – current. (StFX only)
- New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, issues available: 1(1979) – current. (StFX only)
- New Horizons in Adult Education and Human Resource Development, journal issues available: 11(1997) – current. (StFX only)
- RELA: European Journal for Research on the Education and Learning of Adults, issues available: 1(2010) – current.
- Rizoma/Rhizome, journal of the Paulo Freire Institute. Issues available: 1/2(2008) – current.
- Studies in Continuing Education, issues available: 19(1997) – current. (StFX only)
- Studies in the Education of Adults, issues available: 29(1997) – current. (StFX only)
Manuals, Training Tools and Resources
- Action Research and Co-operative Inquiry resources by by Peter Reason.
- Active Reviewing Guide: How to facilitate reflection and the transfer of learning, by Roger Greenaway.
- AI Commons contains tools, articles and manuals.
- Bélanger, P. (2016). Self-construction and social transformation: Lifelong, lifewide and life-deep learning. Translated by A. P. Daigen. Hamburg, Germany: UNESCO.
- Critical Thinking: Stephen Brookfield’s writings and workshop resources on teaching critical thinking, as well as critical theory.
- Handbook for literacy and non-formal education facilitators in Africa, UNESCO, (2006). (1.79 Mb pdf)
- Hanemann, U., McCaffery, J., Newell-Jones, K., & Scarpino, C. (2017). Learning together across generations: Guidelines for family literacy and learning programmes. Hamburg, Germany: UNESCO.
- International Perspectives in Adult Education (IPE) publication series contains country reports, comparative studies, monographs and materials discussed from an international perspective.
- Ketlhoilwe, M., et al. (2006). Course evaluation in adult education programmes: In support of environmental and sustainability education processes. Howick, South Africa: SADC Regional Environmental Education Programme. (1.10 Mb pdf)
- Lindeman, E. (1926). The meaning of adult education. New York: New Republic. Digitized by Northeastern University, Boston, MA.
- Literacy, gender and social agency: Adventures in empowerment: A research report for ActionAid UK. M. Fiedrich & A. Jellema. (2003). (1.59 Mb pdf)
- Livingstone, D. W. & Raykov, M. (2013). Adult learning trends in Canada: Basic findings of the WALL 1998, 2004 and 2010 surveys. Toronto: OISE. (702K pdf)
- Milana, M. & Holford, J. (2014). Adult education policy and the European Union: Theoretical and methodological perspectives. In Research on the education and learning of adults: Volume 1. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Ostrouch-Kaminska, J. & Vieira, C. C. (2015). Private world(s): Gender and informal learning of adults. In Research on the education and learning of adults: Volume 3. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Reflect Mother Manual, ActionAid, an online version of ActionAid’s successful Reflect methodology using Freirean and PRA methods for literacy programmes. The library has one printed edition. Call Number: 374.012 Ar23r. (2.88 Mb pdf)
- Research on the education and learning of adults, a five-part, open access e-book series edited by the European Society for Research on the Education of Adults (ESREA). Published by Sense Publishers.
- Robinson-Pant, A. (2016). Promoting health and literacy for women’s empowerment. Hamburg, Germany: UNESCO. (3.85 Mb pdf)
- Rubenson, K., Desjardins, R. & Yoon, E.-S. (2007). Adult learning in Canada: A comparative perspective: Results from the Adult Literacy and Life Skills Survey. Ottawa: Statistics Canada. (644K pdf)
- Schmidt-Hertha, B., Krasovec, S. J., & Formosa, M. (2014). Learning across generations in Europe: Contemporary issues in older adult education. In Research on the education and learning of adults: Volume 2. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Training trainers for development: Conducting a workshop on participatory training techniques. CEDPA. (1995). Library print copy available: call number: 301.155 C326t
- UNESCO Bangkok. (2008). Community learning centres: Country report from Asia. (2.26 Mb pdf)
Popular Education and Social Activism Resources
- Catalyst Centre, popular education directory.
- Change Agency is an activist education initiative. The organization works with community organizers and activists in the Australia Pacific region.
- Everyday Democracy, resources for helping local communities find ways for people to think, talk and work together to solve problems.
- Highlander Research and Education Center offers training for development of social-change activism and community organization as well as enabling activists to become better community educators and organizers.
- Michael Newman: Educator writes about adult education and social and political action. This website provides free access to three of his most recent books.
- Participatory methods, people working together to generate ideas and action for social change.
- Pedagogy & Theatre of the Oppressed (PTO) is inspired by the work of Paulo Freire and Augusto Boal. It challenges oppressive systems by promoting critical thinking and social justice.
- The Wall Workshop, developed by Bev Burke and Suzanne Doerge, is “an educational tool designed to do a gender analysis of the global economy starting with women’s experiences.”
Research and Writing Support
- Refworks tutorials:
- Research Processes and Methods, Coady Institute, includes links to a variety of sites providing information on research methods and writing skills.
Adult Education Research Centres and Associations
- Canadian Association for the Study of Adult Education (CASAE)
- Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE)
- Community-Based Research Canada (CBRC) is a network engaged in community-based research to meet the needs of people and communities.
- Righting Relations: Adult Education for Social Change, a women-led, Pan-Canadian network of adult educators uniting to strengthen capacity to work with marginalized communities for radical social change.
- StFX Department of Adult Education
- Transformative Learning Centre, based at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE), University of Toronto.
- Adult Learning Australia, the umbrella organization of adult learning agencies in Australia, who provide a range of research reports on their site.
- ALADIN – Adult Learning Documentation and Information Network, a UNESCO-sponsored network that supports networking and capacity building between documentation centres and libraries in the area of adult learning and literacy.
- Asian South Pacific Association for Basic and Adult Education (ASPBAE) defends the right to learn and have access to education and learning opportunities.
- The Center for Contemplative Mind in Society integrates awareness into contemporary life in order to help create a just, compassionate, reflective, and sustainable society.
- International Council for Adult Education (ICAE) promotes adult learning as a tool for active citizenship and informed participation of people.
- Learning and Work Institute was formed in 2016 as a result of a merger between the National Institute of Adult Continuing Education (NIACE) and the Centre for Economic and Social Inclusion.
- The Open University in the UK offers distance learning courses and adult education.
- Think Global: Development Education Association works to educate and engage the public about global issues.
- Training for Change promotes activist training for groups standing up for justice, peace, and the environment through strategic nonviolence.
- UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL)
- Publications catalogue 2015, many publications are available as free downloads. (1.26 Mb pdf))
- UNEVOC-UNESCO International Centre for Technical and Vocational Education and Training